The Satan Bug - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Satan Bug Reviews

July 18, 2014
A snooze fest of a movie out of the gate
½ May 4, 2014
Another Alistair MacLean novel this time adapted into deadly super-virus thriller featuring mainstays of 60s TV.
September 22, 2013
Solid little thriller about a a vile of deadly poison stolen by a madman. I'd kind of expected it to me more apocalyptic from the description, but despite that, it's a solid thriller from director John Sturges ("The Great Escape," "The Magnificent Seven," "Bad Day at Black Rock") and based upon a novel by Alistair MacLean and a script written by James Clavell. Anne Francis was the only actor or actress I'd really heard of before in the film, but overall it's a solid little thriller.
½ December 19, 2012
ok mystery sci-fi suspenser
January 15, 2012
Alistair MacLean was a prolific writer who wrote the novel this film was adapted from under the name "Ian Stuart." By 1965, Alistair MacLean's name was associated with a number of hot literary properties that had been adapted into hit movies (The Guns of Navaronne and Ice Station Zebra) so its a cinch that either Hollywood didn't know that Ian Stuart was Alistair MacLean or Alistair MacLean didn't want his name associated with this adaptation of his novel. I don't see why the latter would be the case. Its a decent thriller dealing with a still-topical subject matter. Two murders and the theft of several flasks containing deadly biological warfare agents (including the ultra-lethal Satan Bug which could wipe out all life on earth) are carried out at the secretive "Site 3" in the middle of the American desert. George Maharis is brought in to help chase down the madman who engineered this crime before he carries out his blackmail scheme on a huge scale. He is put up to this task by a general (Dana Andrews) and is aided by the general's daughter/secretary (Anne Francis). John Sturges had previously directed The Magnificent Seven and The Great Escape. James Clavell helped write the screenplay adaptation. Look for Ed Asner as a thug, Simon Oakland as a government administrator, and James Doonhan (Star Trek's "Scotty") and James Hong in bit parts. Its no Guns of Naveronne or Where Eagles Dare but its worth a look.
½ January 20, 2011
Aikansa tuotos. Vähän tönkkö filmi, mutta mielenkiintoinen tapaus silti.
½ December 19, 2010
Doesn't hold the suspense and edge of your seat drama that The Andromeda Strain does, but there are a number of similarities that still make this a classc 60's adventure. The soundtrack is intense, with serious peaks and troughs to highten the situation, the acting needed a touch more urgency to make this a definitive classic.
December 10, 2009
Timeless classic about a stolen virus and the threat of germ warfare. The film would seem more applicably stimulating in the sixties when it was released, during the cold war, but is still relevant and provocative for today's standards. Highly recommend to fans of the older James Bond films and The Andromeda Strain.
November 22, 2009
Someone breaks into a laboratory and steals a deadly virus that can kill the hole planet. It is funny to watch when they spread the virus in Florida, everyone lies dead outside their car or outside the bus. Nobody is inside their vehicle! This is surly to make a point for the viewers..haha!
Special Agent Lee Barrett dont look so special to me though. Will he be able to save first LA and then the rest of the world from this terrorists?
½ April 9, 2009
Suspenseful with a good score, fine production and a very interesting story. It is a little too long but I never lost interest. Good cast, effective cinematography. A good movie.
April 6, 2009
Hey had my friend " Rayman0071 " invitation me to watch it . You know i' m really wishing would like to watch it . Have you watch it?
½ January 5, 2009
Dull. Could not finish watching it. I love spy movies. I love Alistair MacLean novels. I wanted to like this. Its just incredibly dull, Maharis is dull, Anne Francis is uninspiring...75 minutes of nothing happening and I deleted it from the DVR.
½ December 25, 2008
Predates "The Andromeda Strain", yet shares many similarities with that movie. This one is just a lot of fun, although some of the dialogue could have used some polishing and the ending wasn't as satisfying as it could be. Still, good movie with an intriguing premise and generally solid acting. A little melodramatic a times, but hey, when your movie is about a biological weapon that could destroy the world, I think a little melodrama suits the material. And it has Ed Asner! (Lou Grant of The Mary Tyler Moore Show)
April 28, 2008
Ridiculously sober with the shoddiest score I have ever heard.
April 1, 2008
Timeless classic about a stolen virus and the threat of germ warfare. The film would seem more applicably stimulating in the sixties when it was released, during the cold war, but is still relevant and provocative for today's standards. Highly reccomend to fans of the older James Bond films and The Andromeda Strain.
½ March 30, 2008
What a wonderfully surprising film. It actually kept me on the edge of my seat by keeping tension going. I knew who was what before the characters did and that actually created more tension! The scary thing is, this film is as absolutely relevant today... particularly since it deals with domestic terrorism rather than tired Cold War espionage. It manages this without jump cuts and shaky shots. Amazing!
December 10, 2007
Unjustly overlooked and forgotten sci-fi gem where scientists chase a maniac who's stolen a flask containing an incredibly lethal virus that will wipe out the entire earth (!) if released. Catch this one!
December 3, 2007
Cheesy 60's sci-fi acion movie. Fun if you have a spare afternoon.
½ November 26, 2007
Solving the mysteries and strong acting keep you interested, even at moments the science may seem a little silly.
November 4, 2007
For its time this movie provided some very exciting intrigue and action. However compared to today's extreme action movies it's pacing goes a little slowly. Still you should find it very worth viewing.