Saturday Night Fever - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Saturday Night Fever Reviews

½ June 25, 2016
With campy and cliché situations and a laughable performance from John Travolta, Saturday Night Fever doesn't have much to offer other than its iconic soundtrack.
June 21, 2016
Notes on Saturday Night Fever:

-Bee Gees is life.

-A colorful fuckin' film.

-You don't mess with Tony's hair. The look Travolta pulls is amazing.

-So is all the dance moves.

-Some parallels between this and Purple Rain. Not a bad thing.

-The 2001 Odyssey is quite the tranquil place for Tony.

- Sex, drugs, and disco. The 70s disco scene may have been my kind of party.??

-John Travolta isn't Al Pacino, but he's sure unique in his own way. A movie very enveloped in its own time, Saturday Night Fever is quintessential dance film. Fuck off Step Up!
June 9, 2016
This is the film that launched Travolta from TV (Welcome Back Kotter) to the big the screen... & had of the most classic and greatest selling soundtracks of all time.
May 22, 2016
One of the finest dramas of the 1970's. Amazing soundtrack.
February 9, 2016
If it wasn't for those dance moves and music it would have been terrible
February 9, 2016
An old classic, cudnt stop my feet from moving!!
February 8, 2016
Featuring an excellent soundtrack, a good story and excellent acting from John Travolta, Saturday Night Fever is without doubt the best and most entertaining dance film ever
February 6, 2016
The best soundtrack of the cinema history.
February 4, 2016
I love to watch you dance.

Tony Manero lives with his parents in New York and works days at a department store and spends his nights perfecting his dancing. He is a big time club dancer at night and is slowly doing nothing with his life. His friends lives start falling apart around him and he may start wondering what he's doing with himself...

"She didn't cum yet?"
"Since when do you care?"

John Badham, director of Drop Zone, Stakeout, Short Circuit, Point of No Return, Bird on a Wire, and episodes from the television series Heroes, Arrow, and Supernatural, delivers Saturday Night Fever. The storyline for this picture is excellent and a very unique coming of age film. The acting is perfect and the cast includes John Travolta, Karen Lynn Gorney, Barry Miller, Paul Pape, and Sam Coppola.

"Some guys don't know a lousy fuck when they see one. Maybe the thought you were dead."

I came across this on Netflix not too long ago and I added it to the wish list. This is a great movie of the disco age and the soundtrack was awesome. Overall, this is a worthwhile movie and borderline worth adding to your DVD collection.

"You had coffee with Joe Namath?"

Grade: A
½ January 29, 2016
This movie is really full of energy and so is the cast. Saturday Night Fever is moved by the great John Travolta performance as Tony, a guy who doesn't really know what to do with his life and doesn't know where to take his incredible dancing career. He spends all his pay from his painting job to go out dancing on weekends and is the best dancer there. It's actually a pretty good setup and plot for a film script and it really doesn't disappoint, I think it's an excellent story. The story is really simple I have to admit but the director is able to drive this plot so far with so many other elements. It adds on to a romance that thankfully isn't a distraction and a family story of how Tony is the disappointment. The whole atmosphere of this movie is kind of depressing, it takes place in a bad neighborhood and involves low class high tempered people. Tony being down on himself and others doesn't really help either. The way it's filmed even captured the depressing tone of the setting which was pretty neat. The dance sequences were really entertaining and well choreographed. The best parts of the movie were the storyline, John Travolta, and the dancing sequences. My problem with the movie is that it was a bit too long and that it didn't have the right ending I felt. The complete ending was great actually but how Tony goes into such a quick downtime after he thinks his dance is rigged was a bit rushed. He goes one second to kissing the girl he really likes to raping her in a second which didn't make much sense to me anyway. The Bee Gees soundtrack had a few good songs but some I couldn't stand and it became ear garbage to me so just that made me enjoy a part less. There's not a lot to say that's bad about this movie except that it's not exactly my type of movie and I view this as a really good movie even though I don't really find it amazing to my preference. Saturday Night Fever is a classic that has a heck of a good story and an awesome John Travolta performance. B
December 23, 2015
Somehow I had never actually seen this film, just bits and pieces on TV, so it was nice to finally watch in its entirety. It is an ok film, but just not really my type. Definitely worth a watch though.
½ December 13, 2015
While the constant high pitched disco is tiresome, Saturday Night Fever has some very powerful moments, a great coming of age performance from John Travolta and relevant themes.
December 1, 2015
Saturday Night Fever deserves to be graded among the best movies of the '70s, with a story that is intelligent and moving, the iconic soundtrack that defined a genre, and the performance that made John Travolta a hit.
½ October 24, 2015
An enjoyable ride when more musically inclined, but the more serious it gets, the more the film's energy wears thin. B
½ October 17, 2015
It's the movie that helped america learn about the hustle, they probably would have learned about it one way or another from the Beegees but travolta shows us how to do it right. The young, very handsome travolta's sex appeal is curiously amplified by his accent. Whereas I saw gere's accent in american gigolo something of a detraction travolta's accent has a certain... dare I say continental ...je nes se pas about it?
½ October 7, 2015
'Jaws' isn't about a shark and 'Saturday Night Fever' isn't about dancing. The 70's disco scene is simply the backdrop to this poignant coming-of-age story that confronts issues of social mobility, ambition and family. Sure the dance sequences are oozing with cool and won't fail to bring a smile to your face, but they're not what this film is really *about*.
John Travolta was Oscar-nominated for his role as Tony, a late-teens paint store clerk who is stuck in a rut. With seemingly no prospects of escaping his dead-end neighbourhood, his one release are his Saturday nights out dancing. By day he is a nobody, by night he is a king. Tony thinks that maybe winning the upcoming dance competition will give him fulfilment. When he meets an older, more sophisticated woman, he is attracted to her for many reasons...
Whereas John Avildsen's 'The Karate Kid' ends after the big tournament, for Tony the dance competition brings to the fore all that is wrong with the life that he leads. He doesn't need to prove himself, he wants to better himself. He wants to rise above the squabbling and childishness that he sees around and within his family home. It is significant how Tony knows everything about the bridge leading away from Brooklyn, as though he frequently considers it and where it may figuratively lead. Whether he can cross that bridge to his dreams; whether he can reach emotional maturity and see women as more than just a hobby or a lay; those are the real subjects of this film.
Saturday Night Fever was Gene Siskel's favourite film. I suspect this is because of Travolta's success in portraying a genuine everyman, a character whose position to which many people can relate. While the dancefloor scenes (so brilliantly spoofed in Airplane!) and iconic accompanying soundtrack are a real delight, the true pleasure is in watching, and remembering, the struggles on the path to fulfilment.
September 11, 2015
i remember this songs and film soundtrack from the great bee gees
½ August 28, 2015
Travolta is great in this film and the dance scenes are pure cinema magic that are fun to watch till this day. It's surprisingly more dramatic than what the picture deserves and perhaps a lighter tone would have served it better, but it still holds up in many aspects.