Saturn in Opposition - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Saturn in Opposition Reviews

½ January 9, 2013
Often cited as an Italian "Big Chill", this film presents a realistic look at a group of friends who, while not perfect, must still carry on when their comfortable lives are shaken. We are presented with scenes that unfold in unexpected ways and scenes that slap us with an emotional wallop when we aren't looking.The story is told with a light touch, adding random details to give richer backgrounds to each of the characters.
June 3, 2012
I just watched Saturn in Oppositon, had to step out, therefore I didn't find out how Lorenzo died. Can somehone help?
½ March 29, 2012
Decent movie. The acting can be a little subpar, but overall the storyline and characters make for a heartfelt drama.
½ March 29, 2012
4.5 stars...this is by far the best Italian film Ive seen in this genre, and has become one of my favorite films! This film is not pretentious, this is how films of this type should be made...watch it to find out what I mean!
January 14, 2012
This movie assembles a few charming characters being Roberta (the drug addict friend) one of the most interesting. A well written drama of unconventional lines and great music selection that makes us value life, friends and portraits the grief of surviving a loved one.
½ June 5, 2011
"Saturn In Opposition" refers to the galaxy but I honestly didn't get the meaning vis-a-vis the characters in this ensemble drama. They're a group of bickering friends who meet at the residence of Lorenzo and Davide, a thirtish gay couple for dinner. There's too much melodrama and too many characters to keep track of who's zooming who. Three actors look so much alike that I got confused trying to remember their background details everytime they appeared on screen. The melodrama takes a downward turn when a major character gets a brain hemorrhage and the characters try to adjust by taking a serous look at their lives. There's bits of humor and some well-directed scenes but at the end, the movie made me question what exactly it's about?
November 18, 2009
molto divertente e emozionante
½ November 11, 2009
Simply wonderful! Heartbreaking & uplifting at once..
July 1, 2009
dramma tutto italiano che fa emergere pił speranze per salvare il cinema italiano
½ May 2, 2009
A bit melodramatic, soap-operatic although still sounds sentimental & moving. Scenes like farewell to Lorenzo & gatherings after Lorenzo's death are impressively presented.
½ February 27, 2009
Well made and acted and very easy to watch. Was left a little unsure as to what I was supposed to learn about the characters or the situations when it was all over.
December 15, 2008
Ferzan Ozpetek has become one of my favorite directors. His films explore complicated relationships within close social groupings. Of Turkish origins himself, characters are generally multi-ethnic, but only in the film about a man returning to Turkey is that ever an issue. They also include a mixture of gay and straight characters, but that also is not an issue. The films are character studies, and especially studies of characters in relation to one another. Ensemble acting at its best. This film, however, may be the most difficult of them all. Emotional an moving, it explores how the group deals with a death among them.
½ September 24, 2008
Good movie with a strong ensemble cast. I just wish we learned more of the back stories to each of these relationships...
September 23, 2008
Beautifully made ensemble comedy-drama with excellent performances and a funny, touching script populated by memorable characters.
September 14, 2008
Even better than Mr Ozpetek's previous master piece, Ignorant Fairies!
WOoah! It blew me away from here until Kingdom comes! Human beings have become so complicated that in my humble opinion, we all have lost the plot!