Savage Weekend - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Savage Weekend Reviews

January 18, 2016
At one point in this film I thought "Wow, this prototype Slasher flick has a UFO in it;" then I realized that a boom mike had dipped into the corner of the shot. The film actually gets better as it progresses and serves as a prototype of the Slasher boom that followed in the wake of Halloween and Friday The Thirteenth. Savage Weekend actually predates Hallowed; it was filmed in 1976 and released in 1978 and then was re-released on home video in the 1980s. The film has plenty of red herrings, past indiscretions, sex scenes, gory violence, and a masked killer whose identity is kept a secret until close to the end. There is a fun scene in which Christopher Allport's character Nicky, a very gay man (in a very over-the-top and cliched performance) beats the crap out of two rednecks in a bar. Caitlin O'Heaney (billed as Kathleen Heaney) went on to play the lead in He Knows You're Alone and was also the female lead in the TV series, Tales of the Gold Monkey while William Sanderson would soon be playing a regular on the 1980s Newhart TV series.
October 8, 2015
This is a nice little movie if you're looking to catch up on some sleep. Practically nothing happens for the first hour, and I heard it was supposed to be sleazy, but it's pretty tame. Sure, there's full frontal nudity, but that does not a sleazy movie make. There's some strange dialogue exchanges that can constitute that, but even the dialogue is pretty tame and boring. The last half hour definitely gets sleazier with a strange dancing scene with a woman in stockings and lingerie dancing to a song that just seems to loop over and over and over. It was actually my favorite part, and was the only time I was laughing and enjoying the movie. The kills are not memorable (in fact, I've forgotten most of the deaths) and the movie is so slow that I nodded off for like ten minutes. What I found so surprising is that even when falling asleep and barely being able to pay attention, I was able to predict the ending. It's not a very good surprise ending (and anyone would see it coming), but it's just funny that I could see it coming even when I wasn't looking. I don't get the appeal of this one at all.
½ October 2, 2015
Released before John Carpenter's Halloween but after Bob Clark's seminal classic Black Christmas, Savage Weekend is one of the earliest slasher films that predates the genre frenzy ignited by Carpenter's film. A blend of comedy and horror, Savage Weekend is a fun--if not great--early example of the genre that already features many of the genre's tropes, particularly the horny young couples who are methodically picked off by the killer. Funny and twisted, Savage Weekend will delight those fans of classic slasher cinema who crave other films to see.
August 20, 2014
Surprisingly good exploitation slasher from the 70's. A bunch of rich city folk go to the country for a retreat of pomp and circumstance and there is a killer on the loose.
½ February 4, 2014
City Folks Get Needled in the Country--Audacious, Erotic And Imaginative Horror!!
½ January 18, 2013
Trading teens for adults, we still find ourselves in a remote cabin, then a killer begins to pick them off one by one. There's a few interesting bits, including a woman left in a trap in the basement who will be killed when someone enters, a bit that;s left alone long enough for the viewer to almost forget the tension of the situation until we're suddenly reminded.

Interesting stuff.

Rental?
½ October 27, 2012
Couples from New York City head to the country for a weekend getaway and are stalked by a masked killer. It was odd that many of the locals in upstate New York seemed to have southern accents. Not the most cohesive of storylines.
March 29, 2012
4.5/10. The low budget of the film really shows, but some of the acting is actually good, but there are a few cast members that are not very good. Not very scary, a bit gruesome at times. The screenplay is very hit and miss. It does have it's moments.
½ May 22, 2011
Savage Weekend is one of the "proto-slashers". It has all the ingredients of a slice-n-dice, including a killer in a mask, creative killers (the real nail-biter being the buzz saw kill), and such. However, Savage Weekend fails in that it has too much boring scenes. The kills don't start until the last, oh, twenty minutes. The rest is. Just. TALKING
½ October 3, 2010
September 20, 2010
great film. Pretty slow paced with some nice atmosphere and a great ending
½ April 10, 2010
Whatever its flaws - and, from a technical standpoint, there are many - "Savage Weekend" is an enjoyable little slasher film.

Five friends journey to upstate New York for a weekend getaway. While there, they encounter strange, menacing locals before becoming victims of a psycho killer wearing a bizarre mask.

Sound like John Carpenter's "Halloween"? You wouldn't be the first to draw comparisons between "Weekend" and the latter, much more successful picture, which debuted two years later. For me, though, the question of "Savage Weekend" versus "Halloween" raises an interesting conundrum: would I rather watch a fun movie beset by sloppy filmmaking and hilariously simple mistakes, or a technically sound film that, while considered a seminal horror movie, I found boring?

I'll stick with "Savage Weekend."
November 7, 2009
An outstanding "Pre-Halloween" slasher flick.
this is one time has forgotten,released in 1976,this film has *GOT* to be one of the first american made slasher films.
pre-dating Carpenters "Halloween" by 2 years,it involves a masked boogyman (wearing a Halloween mask),crazy sexual deviance,backwoods hicks,and much much more!!
tons of goofs through out the film..but that just adds character..classic grindhouse fare!
August 10, 2009
This was an oddly enjoyable movie that was way over the top and had a great amount of nudity.
The movie was predictable but fun.
½ July 11, 2009
Good times my best buddy show me this and i hooked to it and watch it when ever i can.
bbcfloridabound
½ June 2, 2009
This movie was actually better as it went on. Don't judge it by first 15 minutes or your apt to turn it off. Starts off with a divorced Dad getting his son for the weekend, while Mom goes upstate with her latest lover and friends for an enjoyable weekend. Couples really enjoying them self swapping and lovemaking until they start getting axed/killed one by one. So who is doing the killing, ex-husband, Otis (Played by William Sanderson who always plays this part like gold on a ring.), the pissed off boyfriend?????? I'm not going to tell. Also in this film is Christopher Allport who plays gay Nicky and is a riot, like the scene in the bar. The film is loaded with cheesy fight scenes, my favorite part is where killer leaves girl on top of a table saw, she is in naughty nighties, stuck but still alive, because no electricity to saw, until a good buddy of her's flips the switch looking for her, neat. My copy came from Mill Creek?s Collection of 50 Drive-In Movies, which is a excellent by. Anyway the movie itself is worth 3 1/2 stars.