Save The Date - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Save The Date Reviews

February 19, 2014
Enjoyable indie film with great performances by Lizzie and Alison.
December 5, 2013
Hmmm..interesting to watch :) Right when you not ready to fall in love, love find you to falll.. Hope it happens to me ^^
December 3, 2013
This is a cute and funny movie, great for anyone.
November 19, 2013
I am a big fan of Indie films, and a fan of Lizzy maybe I am biased, but I enjoyed this. I found this charming, and enjoyed the storyline, lovely drawings, and fun music. I am glad that I ignored some of the bad reviews on this one. I would have missed out on a nice little movie...
½ October 18, 2013
Lizzy Caplan and Alison Brie are 2 good reasons to see this film. They both shine here. They have a great on screen chemistry as sisters. Lizzy Caplan has come such a long way, since her performance in Mean Girls. I like seeing Lizzy in roles like this. The film reminded me of movies like 500 Days of Summer, The 5 Year Engagement, Julie and Julia, Working Girl, and Bridesmaids. The film is well written and great dialog.

My problem with the film, is that I thought a lot of the men actors in the film were miscast. I didn't think Lizzy had a good on screen with either Mark Webber or Geoffrey Arend. Also Alison didn't have a good on screen chemistry with Martin Starr. On a positive, Timothy Busfield was good in his supporting role.

Despite the miscastings, I still recommend this film, especially for the performances of Lizzy Caplan and Alison Brie.
October 14, 2013
It's refreshing to see Martin Starr in a REAL role. He gets typecasted as the jerk, the nerd, or the weird guy and I know he has so much more to offer than that. This movie has a good cast: Lizzy Caplan, Alison Brie, Mark Webber, Martin Star, Geoffrey Arend...Did I mention Mark Webber? :-)
Lizzy Caplan has a tendency to be typecasted too, usually as the independent, wild, sarcastic female character and in this movie she embodies some of those traits but her character eventually finds compassion in the end.
There isn't much action in the film and even the climax isn't anything worthwhile, mainly the movie deals with the sisters relationship with each other and Sarah's (Caplan) inability to commit even though she has two great guys pining for her. I enjoyed the bond between the characters: I felt as if Jonathan (Webber) and Sarah really were head over heels for each other and Beth (Brie) and Sarah felt like real sisters.
What I loved about this movie were the long shots. In some scenes the director doesn't cut at all; the actors deliver their lines so fluidly that I felt like I was eavesdropping on a private conversation. This is especially noted in the scene where the sisters are walking down the pier, they begin as tiny dots and end up right in front of the camera, conversing the entire way, it was beautiful.
The bond between Beth and Andrew (Starr) is endearing but can be a bit too perfect at times. Even towards the end, when Beth realizes weddings are bullshit, their make up is full of mushy ooey gooey goodness. Or maybe, it could be that I am not used to viewing healthy relationships on screen...?
Alison Brie was kind of annoying me in the film, I think I'm just sick and tired of seeing her play the same characters over and over (another typecasted actor!). She needs a role like AnnaLynn McCord in Excision to show us a different side to her acting.
Side note: I really want to see Excision but I know I won't be able to handle it.
The end of the movie references two of my favorite films: There's a Breakfast at Tiffany's kiss at the end (with a cat in the middle no less) and the ending ends abruptly like the film Last Night. Just as Sarah is about to say something.....cut to black....roll credits.
In conclusion, I did enjoy Save the Date but after letting the movie marinate in my brain for sometime, I don't think it was as good as I initially thought. The story has no real climax and everything seems to feel perfect even when it's not supposed to; even Sarah's art is too cutesy. The acting won't let you down but Sarah and her first world problems might...and Mark Webber is pretty much naked in a few scenes... :-)
October 13, 2013
Kind like 500 Days of Summer. awesome movie Mark Webber did a good job in both director and actor. Has a great cast all work off each other.Good story ok soundtrack.
September 11, 2013
Though Jeffrey Brown's little mini comic on the DVD features says they did thirty drafts of the script, the screenplay still felt very raw. Still, it's Jeffrey Brown, and I love Jeffrey Brown, and for what this film lacks in compelling story it does feature a supremely watchable cast.
September 8, 2013
Again, a better movie than the tomatometer. Quirky characters, a "Girls" like feel to the story, real issues to deal with and a poignant ending. I liked it!
August 31, 2013
A generic RomCom that thinks its deeper than it actually is.
½ August 19, 2013
strange movie of two totally opposite sisters who at first are dating members of the same band but when one breaks up and the other becomes engaged the obstacles of sisterhood are tested. And then a new relationship and changes of the relationship unbalance the whole thing.
August 12, 2013
It's better than the reviews say but I may be bias since Lizzy Caplan kills it in this movie and she's one of my favorites. A real telling of life when it comes to unexpected relationships and non-traditional family ties.
½ August 12, 2013
its hard to explain what makes this work other then saying that the Romance feels real and not all campy and made up
August 6, 2013
Perfectly average movie. Not great, not bad, not funny, not unfunny. Watch it, get a chuckle or two and move on. Not a bad way to spend 90 minutes if you're bored.
½ August 3, 2013
"Save the Date" 10 Scale Rating: 5.0 (Mediocre) ...
½ August 3, 2013
"Save the Date" 10 Scale Rating: 5.0 (Mediocre) ...
August 1, 2013
Completely scattered. An emotional rollercoaster that is just plain annoying.
July 31, 2013
This is a little IFC Romcom. It was just OK. The funniest part, by far, was a scene in the beginning where the couple is dancing in their underwear, talking about farting. This one was a little different though, because unlike most films of this genre, I hoped very hard that the girl would end up alone and miserable. That's what she deserved.
July 24, 2013
Chatty, shallow and uninteresting.
July 22, 2013
The strange world of commitment..