Saving Private Ryan - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Saving Private Ryan Reviews

February 23, 2017
ive never been so inspired by a movie all my life...
½ February 18, 2017
Not only one of the best movies ever made, and a very good candidate for the best war movie, Saving Private Ryan is a very powerful, brutal, dramatic and sad film, a great adventure into the horrors of war, all while achieving impressive realism. I think this is by far Steven Spielberg's best made movie, and one of Tom Hanks's too. Recommended !!
February 8, 2017
i loved this movie! in the begining it was about d day it was really cool but sad when i watch this i thoght about all the soilders that gave up there lives to give US freedom
February 6, 2017
(Spoilers) The movie is about a platoon ordered to search for Private James Ryan (Matt Damon) during World War 2 while fighting the German army in France. In the beginning of the movie you see an old man heading to the grave a fallen soldier and that soldier is Captain James Miller (Tom Hanks) the captain and his platoon ordered to take James home. The memories come to James as the scene was taken to the bays of France, D-day. The first soldier on the American side was shot on the head, so it started the action of the movie with bombs going off while the Americans and other allies tried to storm towards the beach eventually with the allies succeeding on the assault. Later that day James Miller got the orders to get a soldier named Private James Ryan to take him home because his other two brothers died in action. Private Ryan was a few miles away so Captain Miller throughout the movie along with a few other soldiers tried to get Ryan in the processes two soldiers died. They found Ryan and found out where he was stationed, they tell him the news and he doesn't want to go home he wants to stay there with his brother which is noble of him. Captain Miller agreed to stay and fight till reinforcements arrive against the German army. Ryan was still young, but mature enough to realize i need to stay here and fight. The whole platoon dies and reinforcements come at the last minute, now at this Miller was shot and Ryan stands in front of him as he laid dying, that's when the scene changed to the present day when Ryan is an old man. He never forget what Miller did and he reflects on it everyday of his life.
This movie had its intense moments along with moments that made you feel more connected with the characters. Those moments that had its reality check making us realize that these men just enjoy the little things and are just wanting to go home to their families. The effects of War can leave lasting memories like it did with Ryan, but at the same time during the War others see them as superhuman, but they are just humans that are stressed and paranoid out of there minds. Even though Miller was a Captain and is supposed to show leadership and no fear, he takes his time to mourn and cry for his fallen soldiers because the pressure is just too much for him to take and just wants to go home. The movie had a good interpretation of D day in the beginning by applying the gun fire, landmines, and the sounds of soldiers using their battle cry, screaming in pain, or just shocked on the dead laying on the shore. That is the scene that got me hooked to the movie, also including the final battle in the town in France having that Alamo feeling being outnumbered by the Nazis. Overall the movie is worth watching and it makes you appreciate more for what these service men and women have to sacrifice, the story itself is good with good characters to back it up going more in depth to how they are feeling mentally and physically and the backlash it can have later in their lives.

-- Fernando V.
½ February 3, 2017
I believe this is the greatest war movie ever made. War is like hell, you fight for your country and your brothers on the battlefield. Thia film pulls no punches when showing the truth about war. Steven Spielberg shows why many consider him to be the greatest director of all time with this film. At the end of this film you will most likely be in tears. The cast is all incredible, it truly feels like you follow around a band of brothers. Tom Hanks leads the band and steals the show. A classic movie that will never be forgotten.
February 2, 2017
the salute at the end cost it half a mark
½ February 2, 2017
Unsettling and gritty to it's core, Saving Private Ryan is the kind of film that would put many people off of watching twice due to it's disturbing imagery... but for me it just makes it even better.

A
½ January 27, 2017
The first 20 minutes is mind blowing and sobering. Many vets still alive said it was an accurate depiction of the carnage and chaos of D-Day.
January 26, 2017
SAVING PRIVATE RYAN review: I don't thank I have ever had a harder time watching a film. Saving Private Ryan is about a make-shift task force, led by Captain Miller, assigned by the highest rank to search for Private Ryan and bring him, the last sibling of his family alive, home to his mother following the Normandy landings. This is probably the most patriotic movie ever made, in all seriousness, but is not for the faint of heart. The opening invasion scene ALONE showcases absolutely horrifying depictions of injuries, chaos, emotion, and all around extremely disgusting imagery, shot in hauntingly beautiful handheld cam, often held by Spielberg himself, in hands-DOWN, the most visually immersive film I've ever seen. The characters are very realistic as well, with layers, and not just one definitive personality trait, but rather agreeing with one another, and subduing emotion during scarring moments, and for the most part, we don't rely on backstory to relate to the heros, but rather their acting and live delivery in intimate conversations. The narrative is beautifully woven in with subtle thoughts expressed between characters to build up to the extremely powerful message near the end. Overall, this is a nearly flawless film with world class camerawork and cinematography, Oscar worthy performances, and home-hitting themes and moments. Saving Private Ryan is a 10/10
January 24, 2017
it has violence and support U.S.A.
January 23, 2017
For me, Saving private ryan is the greatest WW2 movie of all time. And possible the greatest most realistic war movie of all time.
½ January 14, 2017
The rest of the film may not be able to maintain what the first 25 minutes furiously establish, but Saving Private Ryan makes for some of the most realistic, and brutally honest portrayals of war ever seen on screen.
January 14, 2017
Of course I'm gonna talk about this movie on the 4th of July! Lol. Amazing movie. Definitely one of Spielberg's finest films. Shot so beautifully. Looks amazing. The acting is amazing. Seriously love Tom Hanks so much. Every actor is great. Also love how many recognizable actors there are. I think it was written well & the character development was handled well. For me, this is the best war movie ever made. I will admit it drags on a bit but the Direction, cinematography, acting & music outweigh anything negative of this film. It's clear I am obsessed with all things World War 2 & I thought this movie did a brilliant job of capturing just how brutal war is. The D Day opening scene is one of the scenes at the top of my list for most amazing scenes in movies. Handled so well. Spielberg did his research. This movie shows you how devastating, brutal, horrifying & heartbreaking war can be. Shows how brave & loyal men can be. I cry every time lol. Beautiful. Definitely one of the biggest snubs in Oscar history. Should have won Best Picture .
January 11, 2017
Amazing movie with positive themes of courage and sacrifice!
½ January 3, 2017
In this, Spielberg demonstrates his aptidue for filmmaking, crafting narratives, and exploring deep themes.
½ December 30, 2016
one of the best if not the best war film ever made the first 20 mins of this film are totally realistic and traumatising give cives a real look and a taste of what a moment in this war felt like and it's something that I can honestly say left an imprint on my mind and sorrow in my heart
December 28, 2016
A powerful journey that veterans say is the most authentic war experience ever put together. From the moment Spielberg begins you remain utterly captivated until the credits. Final Score 10/10
December 26, 2016
Film-making at its finest! Had to rewatch this one and worth every minute.
December 21, 2016
Steven Spielberg ceaselessly captures the horrors of war without in any way glorifying it. He deserves the accolades he got for this film. The ensemble cast may be the best one ever put together and works so well, anchored by Hanks, who is phenomenal as always.
December 19, 2016
Giving this 2 stars for the first 15-20 minutes. The rest of the film is a boring slog through the usual Spielbergian sentimental drivel.