Saving Private Ryan - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Saving Private Ryan Reviews

January 23, 2017
For me, Saving private ryan is the greatest WW2 movie of all time. And possible the greatest most realistic war movie of all time.
½ January 14, 2017
The rest of the film may not be able to maintain what the first 25 minutes furiously establish, but Saving Private Ryan makes for some of the most realistic, and brutally honest portrayals of war ever seen on screen.
January 14, 2017
Of course I'm gonna talk about this movie on the 4th of July! Lol. Amazing movie. Definitely one of Spielberg's finest films. Shot so beautifully. Looks amazing. The acting is amazing. Seriously love Tom Hanks so much. Every actor is great. Also love how many recognizable actors there are. I think it was written well & the character development was handled well. For me, this is the best war movie ever made. I will admit it drags on a bit but the Direction, cinematography, acting & music outweigh anything negative of this film. It's clear I am obsessed with all things World War 2 & I thought this movie did a brilliant job of capturing just how brutal war is. The D Day opening scene is one of the scenes at the top of my list for most amazing scenes in movies. Handled so well. Spielberg did his research. This movie shows you how devastating, brutal, horrifying & heartbreaking war can be. Shows how brave & loyal men can be. I cry every time lol. Beautiful. Definitely one of the biggest snubs in Oscar history. Should have won Best Picture .
January 11, 2017
Amazing movie with positive themes of courage and sacrifice!
½ January 3, 2017
In this, Spielberg demonstrates his aptidue for filmmaking, crafting narratives, and exploring deep themes.
½ December 30, 2016
one of the best if not the best war film ever made the first 20 mins of this film are totally realistic and traumatising give cives a real look and a taste of what a moment in this war felt like and it's something that I can honestly say left an imprint on my mind and sorrow in my heart
December 28, 2016
A powerful journey that veterans say is the most authentic war experience ever put together. From the moment Spielberg begins you remain utterly captivated until the credits. Final Score 10/10
December 26, 2016
Film-making at its finest! Had to rewatch this one and worth every minute.
December 21, 2016
Steven Spielberg ceaselessly captures the horrors of war without in any way glorifying it. He deserves the accolades he got for this film. The ensemble cast may be the best one ever put together and works so well, anchored by Hanks, who is phenomenal as always.
December 19, 2016
Giving this 2 stars for the first 15-20 minutes. The rest of the film is a boring slog through the usual Spielbergian sentimental drivel.
½ December 9, 2016
Steven Spielberg has been credited a lot for his work on cinema, much like directors like Kubrick, Scorsese, George & many other directors proved in their lifetime just how well high production big action blockbusters could be well done. With Steven's films like Jaws, Indiana Jones, E.T, Close Encounters, Jurassic Park, Duel, and others he's given his stamp on the industry as a whole and has genuinely earned the respect of almost everyone who's worked in Hollywood. But even for the late 1990's, none of that would come close to ever winning him an Oscar despite his films gaining a high traction in pop culture. That was until his nomination for WW2 film: Schindler's List & this little gem that won him his first ever Academy Award: Saving Private Ryan. This film has been UNIVERSALLY praised for almost how close it reconciles in sentimentality and also it's ultra-grey realism of war in both it's setting, characters, and especially the way it's action sequences play out. So much so that I never personally got the time to give it my fullest attention, up until now. And to get to the question out of the way of whether I liked it or not: YES! I LOVED IT! I never thought there could be such an emotional and disturbing war film quite on this scale before, as someone who enjoys history altogether. And I enjoyed my pleasant surprise to find how the minute the film cuts to it's first action set piece (the one most people consider to be one of the best parts of the whole film) It left quite possibly one of the best impressions for the rest of the film from: Fantastic acting from the squad Captain Miller commands including himself, set pieces so tight and well produced it was downright distracting, cinematography from Janus Kaminski that made me just utterly appreciate how dark and unpleasant the setting for our film is, action so well directed and shot it it's kind of insulting as to why more war films don't follow in this type of format MATURELY, characters so well fleshed out and unpredictable, a story very well written (and not shocking since Frank Darabont, my all time favourite old-school writer/directors) and emotionally gripping it made me forget any issues it plagued, the overly r-rated violence used maturely through the film, and is just....overall is so amazingly well executed that I think it ranks up HIGHLY in my favourite films of all time. And while slight issues are present much like in any film, mostly nitpicky and cynical observations, like the odd slow-motion and sometimes often dragged on pace, this is a film to still GO AND SEE AS SOON AS POSSIBLE. Seeing this for the first time really shocked me in how well executed it would be, and gives me a more genuine respect to Spielberg, as it makes me wish he went back to doing R rated films again like Saving Private Ryan.

Score: 9.5 / 10
December 8, 2016
Despite a weaker 2nd half than the 1st. This is still a movie that absolutely holds up to today's standards and is the measuring stick every war movie is measured to.

It's unflinching portrayal of violence and chaos of war more or less drives the film over a rather ho-hum actual plot.

If there's a movie that deserves to be seen on the big screen to truly experience it. This is that movie.
½ November 30, 2016
Probably one of the best war movies I've ever seen, the combat is realistic, the story is good, and the acting is magnificent!! If you want to see a good war movie and haven't seen this one, go check it out! I highly recommend it!!
November 24, 2016
Saving Private Ryan is an immersive experience using eye level camera shots, wide cinematography, grainy filters, and reflective screenplay to suck you into the emotional drama of the soldiers of World War II and the third act is a beautiful example of good writing and production design.
November 12, 2016
Possibly the most brutal movie ever made, yet by far the greatest war movie of all time.
November 11, 2016
Really well done, and relatively interesting. The actors did great! Though it was a good movie, I probably won't watch it again because it is a little too long for what it is.
November 9, 2016
An excellent movie, with a believable plot, great acting, and scenery/props that really make you feel like you are in the middle of a real war taking place. Defenitely a must-see!
November 9, 2016
It was a long time coming but I finally watched "Saving Private Ryan" on History Channel.
October 28, 2016
Best-Stephen Spielberg movie-so far. This movie depicts the horrors of war in the most affective way possible. From the viewpoint of a war veteran on the Normandy Landing on D-day which works in ways that will make you feel for the people in this movie, not just the major and minor characters, but even for the extras and to think this actually did happen, it is truly terrifying. The depiction of war is really horrifyingly realistic, in fact it's the most realistic war film I've seen so far. Tom Hanks as always gives a great performance in this film which made it 100 times better, he is a master at what he does, he never makes an okay performance, he always gives it his all. Amazing direction, top notch acting, an amazing first sequence and a very emotional final act mixed altogether to make the best war film of all time. (Not exagerating)
October 25, 2016
A perfect story, with perfect pacing. Amazing performances from everyone. The visuals are amazing including one of the best openings of all time.