Say Amen, Somebody Reviews

• Apr 25, 2020

An inside look into gospel music and the conventions that were started. Not much of an overall narrative that transcends just filming though. It was merely information and history.

• Jan 04, 2009

Fascinating, lyrical, and true. It's transfixing.

Fascinating, lyrical, and true. It's transfixing.

• Aug 31, 2008

This was my church this morning. Was an interesting education in Gospel music, but not a must see in any way.

• Aug 24, 2007

In under 2 hours, this film gives a well-rounded picture of gospel music, its roots, performances, and personalities. Leaves the viewer wanting to learn and hear more. The performance of uplifting songs are moving. But it's the elderly Thomas A. Dorsey telling the tragic story behind my favorite gospel song "Take My Hand, Precious Lord" and singing it in his cracking voice that so effectively demonstrates the beautiful expression of soul emotion that, to me, defines gospel music.

• Aug 11, 2007

Great gospel performances, quite a bit of insight into the everyday lives of the greats, but falls short of explaining the importance of gospel music in African American culture (or American culture in general). Pretty good all around though.

• Jul 22, 2007

Honest and insightful, able to capture such an intimate portrait of Mother Smith, Dr. Dorsey, The Barrett Sisters, Zella and the O'Neal Twins and weaving everything together so nicely in the end. At the end I felt like I had really lived with them and gotten to know them. The music is wonderful also. I learned a lot about documentary filmmaking from this.

• Jun 03, 2007

One of the best movies I have ever seen!

One of the best movies I have ever seen!

• Sep 22, 2006

This movie is ok. Nothing that spectacular though.

This movie is ok. Nothing that spectacular though.