Say Anything... - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Say Anything... Reviews

July 4, 2016
It never gets stale, even though it's 27 YEARS OLD! I love John Cusack as much now as I did when I was 14...
April 21, 2016
The greatest thing about Cameron Crowe's Say Anything is the way it tells a story without devolving into tropes of the teen dramedy subgenre. Here is a film that never needs characters to develop in unrealistic ways to progress the plot: Crowe completely understands that it's an unnecessary way of storytelling. Instead, these characters interact and grow in a completely normal way, and it's really refreshing. John Cusack's Lloyd Dobler and Ione Skye's Diane Court are essentially polar opposites at the beginning of the film, but their relationship blossoms in a way that is adorable without being sickeningly so. Lloyd is a bit of an underachiever, but one with a good heart, and Diane is the valedictorian who learns to take things at a new pace, and the relationship just works. It helps that Cusack and Skye have strong chemistry, and really work well together onscreen. Crowe essentially followed the footsteps of John Hughes with Say Anything, and created a solid movie in the process.
March 6, 2016
One of the few 80s classics i've never seen (never fully, only parts). I'll get to it one day.
February 10, 2016
A great coming of age film with a beautiful 80s soundtrack. Plus Boomboxes!!!!!
February 7, 2016
One of the all-time great romantic comedies. John Cusack's star-making performance holds up over 25 years later. The film rightfully established Cameron Crowe as one of the great writer-directors of his generation.
January 28, 2016
This was a pivotal film for me when I was just starting to look for 'myself' in pop culture, and I was blown away by the idea that the underdog could have a shot at the popular girl. Great coming of age drama and loaded with quotable lines.

Recommended.
December 23, 2015
Pretty solid. This is one of those classic 80s films with very likable characters. It's enjoyable and funny, and the acting and writing are both great. Worth seeing!
½ December 23, 2015
Cameron Crowe's directorial debut Say Anything is a beautiful, intelligent and subversive coming of age story, and is one of the definitive films of the 1980s.
The movie centres on the 'mismatch' relationship between John Cusack's Lloyd Dobler, the original 'likeable, underachieving everyman', and Ione Skye's Diane Court, the beautiful, popular Valedictorian. While I feel the transition from strangers to relationship happens unrealistically fast, the central romance of Diane and Lloyd is really convincing and engaging. Both actors do a great job of conveying the subtle details and little intricacies of a relationship - the seemingly insignificant moments that ultimately give the film weight and a powerful human believability.
The fact that this movie came out in the 80s is crazy to me - it seems like such a postmodern, self aware rom com. This is perhaps why it has this striking quality that makes it a classic; it's so intelligent for its time, yet it's still embedded within such a rich, timeless 1980s aesthetic.
The story also takes some turns, and the plot ends up having more edge than it appears at first. Lloyds character is expertly written and executed, and he embodies such a profound late 20th century mentality/identity crisis for young people not knowing where they want to go in the world, and it always feels natural because of John Cusack's amazing performance. Lloyd also gives us one of the biggest movie moments of all time with Peter Gabriel and a boom box, and an iconic moment is always a testament to a film's impact.
In a time of countless carbon copies of The Breakfast Club, Say Anything was a funny, heartwarming, but offbeat and subversive romantic comedy with uncommon heart, intelligence and insight. It's meditations on love and teenage romance, and it's commentary on societal pressure upon young people were really ahead of its time, and it remains a great showcase for both John Cusack and Cameron Crowe, and a gem of Gen X filmmaking.
½ December 22, 2015
Lloyd Dobbler? Lloyd Dobbler!
½ December 22, 2015
"Nobody thinks we will work, do they?"
"You just described every success story I know."
And bam! I felt like a total girl :)
½ November 29, 2015
"Say Anything" is one of Cameron Crowe's first big successes, and still one of his best films. It's not just one of the best teen movies, but one of the better films of the 80's
½ November 15, 2015
A strong and insightful teen romance.
½ October 17, 2015
Quite nice..a tale of two teens in Seattle, by Cameron Crowe. Prefer this to High Fidelity or Crowe's 'Singles'. But a bit hard to wrap my mind around the fact that John Cusack was supposed to be a 19 year old, hehe. A simple and flowing movie that presented its emotional scenes with care and delicateness, and doesn't over-intellectualize :)
½ September 28, 2015
Very generic romance, occasional iconic scenes but then again. :/
September 27, 2015
A beautiful story that teaches us that love knows no boundaries. Not to mention John Cusacks iconic boom box scene
½ September 16, 2015
Awh, this film is cute, you know. I wouldn't say it's amazing but for what it is, it's entertaining, I cared about the characters and I got frustrated when the plot didn't go the way I wanted it to. I wanna give this a rewatch now I know the plot so I can appreciate the other things which I don't think I did enough of i.e. music, side characters, acting etc. I was just in the mood to watch an old-school romance and that's what I got. The boombox scene (which is all I knew about this movie) wasn't as WHOAH as I expected but maybe that's what's so great about it, is that it wasn't a big overblown plot point but it still has a place in lots of audiences hearts. I think this could be a regular go-to film for me. John Cusack is a little cutie and his hopeless romantic character is a believable and real performance. As is Diane Court who's family struggles bring an unexpected struggle to the couple. The ending is so heart-warming and leaves you wanting a little bit more but that's what you want from a film. You're put in the characters shoes. You're happy and got what you want with the couple but you have no idea what's round the corner, just hope and love.
August 24, 2015
I liked say anything very much john cusack and ione skye give good performances as two recent high school graduates who have a romance but skyes father potrayed by john Mahoney does not of john cusack
August 8, 2015
I started it. Couldn't finish it. I really was not having a good time with it.... (fast forward several years). Okay. I decided to finish it. I just can't do the intentionally awkward thing. Something really annoying & self-serious about it. The focus on the broken glass & many other moments are embarrassingly cringe-worthy. So she loves him cause he pointed out glass. This, to Crowe, is apparently the essence of romance. Uncomfortable sex scene & rap scene make it unbearable. In fact, I don't think I've ever seen a movie with more awkwardness in my life. We're all familiar with the famous boom box scene. As I was watching it, I was amazed at how anti-climactic it was. This is a woefully painful attempt at attaining John Hughes greatness. It's not even in the same solar system.
August 5, 2015
A romantic comedy with deep human feelings and a smart soundtrack that complements it very well.
½ August 1, 2015
John Cusack at his absolute best. Great coming-of-age stories with 2 mismatched teenagers who find love against all odds. Great music and some iconic scenes make this one of the best rom-coms of the '80s. Fantastic ending.

Grade = 8.5/10