Say Anything... - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Say Anything... Reviews

½ December 23, 2015
Cameron Crowe's directorial debut Say Anything is a beautiful, intelligent and subversive coming of age story, and is one of the definitive films of the 1980s.
The movie centres on the 'mismatch' relationship between John Cusack's Lloyd Dobler, the original 'likeable, underachieving everyman', and Ione Skye's Diane Court, the beautiful, popular Valedictorian. While I feel the transition from strangers to relationship happens unrealistically fast, the central romance of Diane and Lloyd is really convincing and engaging. Both actors do a great job of conveying the subtle details and little intricacies of a relationship - the seemingly insignificant moments that ultimately give the film weight and a powerful human believability.
The fact that this movie came out in the 80s is crazy to me - it seems like such a postmodern, self aware rom com. This is perhaps why it has this striking quality that makes it a classic; it's so intelligent for its time, yet it's still embedded within such a rich, timeless 1980s aesthetic.
The story also takes some turns, and the plot ends up having more edge than it appears at first. Lloyds character is expertly written and executed, and he embodies such a profound late 20th century mentality/identity crisis for young people not knowing where they want to go in the world, and it always feels natural because of John Cusack's amazing performance. Lloyd also gives us one of the biggest movie moments of all time with Peter Gabriel and a boom box, and an iconic moment is always a testament to a film's impact.
In a time of countless carbon copies of The Breakfast Club, Say Anything was a funny, heartwarming, but offbeat and subversive romantic comedy with uncommon heart, intelligence and insight. It's meditations on love and teenage romance, and it's commentary on societal pressure upon young people were really ahead of its time, and it remains a great showcase for both John Cusack and Cameron Crowe, and a gem of Gen X filmmaking.
½ December 22, 2015
Lloyd Dobbler? Lloyd Dobbler!
½ December 22, 2015
"Nobody thinks we will work, do they?"
"You just described every success story I know."
And bam! I felt like a total girl :)
½ November 29, 2015
"Say Anything" is one of Cameron Crowe's first big successes, and still one of his best films. It's not just one of the best teen movies, but one of the better films of the 80's
½ November 15, 2015
A strong and insightful teen romance.
½ October 17, 2015
Quite nice..a tale of two teens in Seattle, by Cameron Crowe. Prefer this to High Fidelity or Crowe's 'Singles'. But a bit hard to wrap my mind around the fact that John Cusack was supposed to be a 19 year old, hehe. A simple and flowing movie that presented its emotional scenes with care and delicateness, and doesn't over-intellectualize :)
½ September 28, 2015
Very generic romance, occasional iconic scenes but then again. :/
September 27, 2015
A beautiful story that teaches us that love knows no boundaries. Not to mention John Cusacks iconic boom box scene
½ September 16, 2015
Awh, this film is cute, you know. I wouldn't say it's amazing but for what it is, it's entertaining, I cared about the characters and I got frustrated when the plot didn't go the way I wanted it to. I wanna give this a rewatch now I know the plot so I can appreciate the other things which I don't think I did enough of i.e. music, side characters, acting etc. I was just in the mood to watch an old-school romance and that's what I got. The boombox scene (which is all I knew about this movie) wasn't as WHOAH as I expected but maybe that's what's so great about it, is that it wasn't a big overblown plot point but it still has a place in lots of audiences hearts. I think this could be a regular go-to film for me. John Cusack is a little cutie and his hopeless romantic character is a believable and real performance. As is Diane Court who's family struggles bring an unexpected struggle to the couple. The ending is so heart-warming and leaves you wanting a little bit more but that's what you want from a film. You're put in the characters shoes. You're happy and got what you want with the couple but you have no idea what's round the corner, just hope and love.
August 24, 2015
I liked say anything very much john cusack and ione skye give good performances as two recent high school graduates who have a romance but skyes father potrayed by john Mahoney does not of john cusack
August 8, 2015
I started it. Couldn't finish it. I really was not having a good time with it.... (fast forward several years). Okay. I decided to finish it. I just can't do the intentionally awkward thing. Something really annoying & self-serious about it. The focus on the broken glass & many other moments are embarrassingly cringe-worthy. So she loves him cause he pointed out glass. This, to Crowe, is apparently the essence of romance. Uncomfortable sex scene & rap scene make it unbearable. In fact, I don't think I've ever seen a movie with more awkwardness in my life. We're all familiar with the famous boom box scene. As I was watching it, I was amazed at how anti-climactic it was. This is a woefully painful attempt at attaining John Hughes greatness. It's not even in the same solar system.
August 5, 2015
A romantic comedy with deep human feelings and a smart soundtrack that complements it very well.
½ August 1, 2015
John Cusack at his absolute best. Great coming-of-age stories with 2 mismatched teenagers who find love against all odds. Great music and some iconic scenes make this one of the best rom-coms of the '80s. Fantastic ending.

Grade = 8.5/10
½ July 16, 2015
I can't believe this movie is nearly 30 years old but I think it ages well.. The quintessential John Cusack role and of course Cusack's character trying to woo back his love by playing Peter Gabriel's "In Your Eyes" outside her window with his boon box is an iconic scene. I have wonder, now that I'm a father, how I would react if Lloyd Dobler showed up to date my daughter.
½ June 19, 2015
film was way on front of the times and one of the greatest romantic comedies made. Cameron Crowe should reinvent himself and go back to grassroots. this works.
June 17, 2015
It could've gone very wrong. It's one of those cheesy, romantic movies where two people, who are meant for each other, fall in love, spend some time together, face conflicts, break up, make up, and a happy ending. It hits every melodramatic cliche you see in soap operas. You can't deal with it? Well, too bad. The reason why Say Anything... works is because you deeply care about the characters. Cusack and Skye play a very likable and naive teen couple who you can't help rooting for; you believe in everything they say, even when they are having very cliche moments. I love Cameron Crowe's writing style and this one is no exception. One of the things I love about Crowe films is that they are very optimistic. There is not a sense of cynicism in his movies, and in the end it makes you feel hopeful about life. Not many people can pull that off. Say Anything... is funny, heartfelt, and truly one of the greatest modern romcom/high-school movies of all time. Loved it and I had a smile on my face all the way through.
½ June 9, 2015
Real characters, still cliche'd, tho heartfelt, love.
June 8, 2015
In this one film Cameron Crowe takes on every John Hughes film and wins. Effortlessly detailed.