Say It in Russian - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Say It in Russian Reviews

May 13, 2009
Beautifully shot and lushly scored, [b]Say it in Russian[/b] is a marvelous throwback to the cinema of the 1930s and 1940s. It tells a romantic story of a couple falling in love in Paris, then travelling to Moscow where things start to unravel. Splendidly acted by leads Steven Brand and Agata Gotova, the film unspools unhurriedly, to marked contrast to current offerings with their rapid-fire jump cuts inspired by MTV. [b]Say it in Russian[/b] is the quintessential reason that independent film exists as a viable alternative to conventional studio fare. It deserves every award its won and more. Go see this film.
½ May 7, 2009
On a rainy night, out of town, this week, my wife and I saw that Carmike Cinemas had an ongoing "Indie" film festival at one of their theaters in town.
(I heard, from the Manager, that this fest is running at sixty theaters across whatever part of the country Carmike covers, by the way)
Anyhow, FIVE BUCKS for these films- less than the popcorn costs, so I gambled that five bucks and caught a classy indie called SAY IT IN RUSSIAN.

Very entertaining mix of romance and action with stunning cinematography that captures both the real Paris and the real Moscow.

For those that enjoy fare like the Stanley Donen/ Cary Grant CHARADE (easily viewed on AMC or TCM), I would definitely recommend seeing SAY IT IN RUSSIAN.

Not sure what the story is on this film, as I cannot find too many reviews online.

Is it going to be released elsewhere or was this screening it? It would be shame if this fun, "classically-stylized film" were going straight to video- can anyone contribute?

Defntiely a rainy evening well-spent for us!
May 2, 2009
This is a very beautiful film. After watching it I left with a sensation of something fresh and light, no matter the fact that the content of the movie was not light. The leads were well matched, like the beautiful cities of Paris and Moscow, the amazing music and breathtaking cinematography. I had the impression that I bathed in the clean water and breathed the fresh air. I just loved Say it in Russian.
May 1, 2009
I saw this film in Chattanooga Tennessee at a premiere. It was so unlike any other independent film I have ever seen. It looked more like a real Hollywood movie. Nothing looked fake and it looked like it was done on film. The story was interesting and moved along quite well. I highly recommend this movie to anybody who loves movies.
April 18, 2009
A Cinematic Gem

I saw this indy film at the Venice Beach Film Festival. Not only does it look like a big film, it sounds like one too wtih a beautiful orchestral score. Kudos to the filmmakers for finally making an independent film that looks like a real movie and a minimal of blood and guts. Just enough action to keep you going, but doesn't detract from the story. A romance film, but not a chick's movie, it has something for the guys and the girls too. Veteran character actor Rade Serbedzija shined as usual, but the surprise in this film were Steven Brand and Agata Gotova, two newcomers who I'm sure we will see a lot of in the future.
April 17, 2009
I just watched the trailer - it looks very interesting with high production values. I can't wait to see the whole movie.