Sayonara Jupiter - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Sayonara Jupiter Reviews

½ October 31, 2014
total camp and a knock-off of the "2001" and "2010" sequel
January 18, 2012
Japanese science fiction, whether live-action or anime, is something of great interest for me for their introduction of giant robots and monsters into the international market. 'Sayonara Jupiter', on the other hand, is a film influenced by both 'Star Wars' and '2001', and is a local competitor to '2010', which contains a plot element of transforming a gas giant into a new star (but no monoliths). That storyline excited me as I liked future space travel and how real science could influence the action, while at the same time I felt a sex scene cut to a fantasy sequence deemed unnecessary for me. Here the special effects (SFX) look real to me when it comes to the model spaceships and the scenery of the planets; I'm surprised that Toho, the studio also behind the 'Godzilla' series, was responsible for doing all the great model-based spacey and action stuff here! You'll enjoy the film if you like either or both sci-fi and/or Japanese films.
½ January 29, 2011
This was truly horrible movie. I mean baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaad. Not even the spaceship model work could save this film. Then again if you just cut out the models add back ground music and jettison the rest of the film, it might make nice music video. The "plots" meander all over the universe and the acting is unbelievably awful. 2 funny spots in the film, the space pilot eating "space McDonalds" hamburgers, yep big product placement and everything is labelled "space" this & that. And the 2nd unintentionally funny moment when the hero unmasks a terrorist (whose his old girlfriend,) and takes her away for interogation from the other bad guys it's not mor ethan 5 minutes later and in true Captain Kirk fashion they're doing zero G mambo. There's a ton of other stuff that's mildly amusing but do yourself a favor and avoid this film like a black hole.
July 20, 2010
This movie is just fantastic!! The special effects are superb and the acting is top notch. You really need to see this for yourself to believe it. There is one scene with two main characters having sex as they fly across the solar system!!!! How rad is that? But it gets better there are rebel hibbies that follow a singer/guitarists named... drum roll... Pete!!!
In conclusion do yourself a favor and check out this awsome film you will not be dissappointed!!! Best thing to come from Japan
February 2, 2010
In order to protect the solar system, one planet sacrifices its life. Jupiter is bidding farewell. In the 22nd century, scientists uncover ancient carvings that describe the crash of an alien spacecraft on Jupiter several millenniums ago. This postpones the initial phase of a plan to transform the gas giant into a second sun to provide additional solar energy for Earth. When a black hole is discovered to approach the solar system, Dr. Eiji Honda must race to complete the mission and save Earth before time runs out.

Directed by Koji Hashimoto and Sakyo Komatsu, Sayonara Jupiter features great acting performances from the following cast:
1.) Tomokazu Miura (Dr. Eiji Honda)
2.) Dangely Diane (Maria Basehart)
3.) Akihiko Hirata (Dr. Inoue Ryutarou)
4.) Masumi Okada (Dr. Mohammed Mansour)

Japanese science fiction, whether live-action or anime, is something of great interest for me for their introduction of giant robots and monsters into the international market. Sayonara Jupiter, on the other hand, is a film influenced by both Star Wars and 2001, and is a local competitor to 2010, which contains a plot element of transforming a gas giant into a new star (but no monoliths). That storyline excited me as I liked future space travel and how real science could influence the action, while at the same time I felt a sex scene cut to a fantasy sequence deemed unnecessary for me. Here the special effects (SFX) look real to me when it comes to the model spaceships and the scenery of the planets; I'm surprised that Toho, the studio also behind the Godzilla series, was responsible for doing all the great model-based spacey and action stuff here! You'll enjoy the film if you like either or both sci-fi and/or Japanese films.
December 30, 2009
This was pretty damn bad.
Beefy
November 29, 2009
Japan's answer to 2010, this film is a gluttony of imagery for those who grew up with 1980's sci-fi special effects. It's overlong, with silly plotting and hilarious English dubbing. The length is stretched so afar as to make parts of the second half a bit boring. And there are the hippies. Oh, those terrorist hippies.

Enjoyably fun for those who already enjoy such things.
½ February 5, 2009
Sayonara Jupiter is often referred to as Japan's answer to the 2001/2010 films. If by "answer" you mean "utterly misguided and confused rip off," I think I can agree with that statement. Toho has created a lot of Sci Fi films that are pretty good, and others that aren't really "good" but still manage to be entertaining. Sayonara Jupiter, however, may be the most irredeemably boring Sci Fi film the studio ever released. The only resemblance it has to Kubrick's film is the glacier-like pacing, but Sayonara's half-baked pulp story can't come close to justifying the pomp the way 2001's does. Actually, I take that back, there are TWO ways Sayonara Jupiter resembles 2001: the embarrassingly blatant theft of shots and even set design. 2001 is hardly alone in this regard, though, everything from Star Trek: The Motion Picture to The Black Hole gets ripped off at some point during the bloated running time. In fact, the film inexplicably turns into Flipper vs. Jaws for a minute! (don't ask, I'm as confused as you) All this rampant idea theft results in a plot that's infuriatingly random and wildly underdeveloped. Characters appear and disappear at random, the most interesting ideas go COMPLETELY unresolved, every scene seems to be trying to preach something without ever deciding what, the science is laughable even by Flash Gordon standards, and never mind the inexplicably depressing ending. Any cast would have trouble working with a script this awful, but Sayonara Jupiter's ensemble is especially hopeless. The film features an unusually large amount of English dialog, and the Caucasian actors are uniformly PATHETIC. That's hardly unusual for Toho films, but few other films flaunt their clueless white people with as much baseless enthusiasm as this one. Lest this review be completely negative, it must be admitted that the model work in Sayonara Jupiter is among the best Japan has ever produced. The ships and space stations here have a sense of scale almost never seen in these productions. Only in the rare moments that a model has to interact with atmospheric effects like those representing Jupiter (and those are pretty cool on their own) do they take on that infamous "toy on a wire" look. As an edited special effects reel, Sayonara Jupiter could be rather impressive. As a FILM, though, it's an utter failure.