Scaramouche - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Scaramouche Reviews

½ July 16, 2012
Outstanding silent melodrama. Ramon Novarro is a favorite.
½ November 16, 2010
Tuesday, November 16, 2010

(1923) Scaramouche
ADVENTURE/ DRAMA

Story takes place during the 1700's when a best friend gets killed by a wealthy heirchy seeking revenge or retribution to the person or the peoples' involved! Twists and turns galore which the only difference between this version and the more action wise 1952 version of the same name starring the physical Stewart Granger are the direction both films have made which're different. In this 1923 version, it delves to a more drama than action involving the casting of hundreds and hundreds whereas in the 1952 version the story centers between the duel between it's protagonist and the it's antagonist! Both are somewhat well made except that at times the story sometimes drags in this version that without the ending that it had, this movie would probably be an overall a bad experience!

3 out of 4
March 16, 2010
I loved the 1952 version so much, I decided to check out the 1923 silent version. Well, I was a bit disappointed because while the 52 version followed Andre Moreau and the whole Scaramouche storyline involving his enemy the Marquis, this 23 version only followed that briefly. With this version, it tried to tell so many stories, it covered basically the entire French Revolution. It started with Moreau, then moved to Danton, then to Napoleon, then Lous XVI, and everything. The finale is pretty cool though, and the sets, costumes, and all the other technical aspects of the film are impressive, considering it was 1923, I can't help but give it some credit. But I was hoping it would be as entertaining as the later version.
November 24, 2007
Detailed sets and wonderful cinematography make this silent a gem. It's an elaborate costume romance/adventure set during the beginning of the French revolution. I've yet to see the 1952 remake but this silent stands well on its own.
½ September 5, 2007
This was my first experience with silent film and I loved it. The storyline keeps you so engaged in the scenes and the characters are lovely to watch. Definitely pick this up if you havn't yet!!!