Scaramouche Reviews

• Feb 02, 2019

The best thrilling movie ever made!

The best thrilling movie ever made!

• Oct 04, 2017

Not my favorite movie to watch I find it is to old fashioned

Not my favorite movie to watch I find it is to old fashioned

• Jun 15, 2017

I absolutely, unequivocally, and without any reservations LOVED Scaramouche! Cue the gushing... This movie has so much humor I was laughing all the way through. It had witty dialogue and some slapstick, which is everything I love in comedy. It was romantic, but not in the same traditional way for a film from the era. It took some surprising twists on that front which kind of fit the main character's personality. But more than anything, Scaramouche was exciting. It has marvelous sword fights that feel real and dangerous instead of over-choreographed. They also stage these fights on amazing sets that keep the action interesting instead of flat and repetitive. The climactic fight is possibly the best one I've ever seen captured on film because it was so long and ranged all over. Even some of the non-fighting moments had tension and excitement. Stewart Granger (also known as Bruce Campbell's doppelgänger) is one big bundle of charm. He delivers laughs, love, and fighting in equal measure. He is matched up against Mel Ferrer who has a sliminess that is ideal in your villain. I love how he constantly has that devious grin on his face. Then there's the gorgeous pair of Janet Leigh and Eleanor Parker. They contrast one another, but both still have their own brand of charisma. While there were certain events that you kind of anticipate in this type of film, I was so pleased that I never knew how Scaramouche was going to get there. Even in the final scene there was something I didn't see coming. Every little complaint I can even begin to think of is such a minor nitpick it almost doesn't seem worth mentioning. Sure, the outdated rear projection was obvious, but it was the technology of the time. Who cares, the movie is such a blast I want to watch it again right now!

• Jul 08, 2016

Pure gem! how can you not like this film...? I grew up with it as a kid. Best fun you can have on a rainy Saturday afternoon!

Joseph B Super Reviewer
    Jun 24, 2016

"Scaramouche" may be overly melodramatic and have a storyline more prone in a soap opera whose ratings have slumped, but that doesn't make this a bad film. On the contrary, this film includes some of the greatest choreographed sword fights ever caught on film, including the finale that lasts more than five minutes. If there is anything in the film that I could do without, it's the love story aspect of the film and the constant nagging of Eleanor Parker's character that since Andre (Stewart Granger) has his head elsewhere and she doesn't know he's practicing to become a better swordsmen that he must be in love with another woman. Maybe fifteen minutes of the film is her accusing him of loving Janet Leigh's character when she turns out to be his half-sister. The technicolor is fantastic and the sets and costumes are amazing. I just am not too sure if the gowns worn by the women were time appropriate?

• May 01, 2016

I have to track down Rafael Sabatini's novel. There's a great story here, and it's too big for this movie, though it was done justice as Executioner's Of Shaolin, if it turns out this was an inspiration. It clearly has many of the elements of a 70's era martial arts film, including the training montage. The bad news is that this movie is as corny and melodramatic as one imagines movies this old to be (and I say this ass a fan of old movies). Only Mel Ferrer's performance manages to transcend his b-movie trappings (and i say this as someone who loves b-movies.

• Jun 06, 2015

Good action scenes but quite dull at times too. Set in 18th century France, the story of a man (played by Stewart Granger) who sets out to avenge the death of his friend at the hands of a master swordsman (played by Mel Ferrer). Set up is long and tedious. The movie only really gets interesting towards the end, once Andre Morou ends up in government. From then it is quite interesting, with some good intrigue, humour and action scenes. Overall though, so-so. Good performance by Stewart Granger in the lead role. Good support from Mel Ferrer, Janet Leigh and Eleanor Parker.

• Oct 20, 2014

It's hard to like a movie when you dislike most of the characters. Good sound and nice costume design, except for the fact that it tells the movie was filmed in the 50s.

• Jun 12, 2014

SCARAMOUCHE this movie got me, once i heard its tittle watta name :)

SCARAMOUCHE this movie got me, once i heard its tittle watta name :)

• Jun 07, 2014