Scared Straight! - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Scared Straight! Reviews

hunterjt13
July 22, 2014
A group of juvenile criminals is berated and verbally abused by a group of hardened criminals.
At first, this documentary is just a bunch of people screaming at a group of petrified children, but by the middle of this film, there are enough levels in the convicts' threats to keep this film compelling. And the tales they tell would scare anyone straight, even though the film doesn't account for the various socio-economic realities that might drive one to crime.
Overall, there's a moment when one of the convicts is whispering, "I really want to hurt you," right into a kid's face, and that's a moment that I'll remember for a long time, and when a film has that type of effect, it's a powerful film.
October 11, 2013
i've never seen a documentary like this until sociology! very interesting that the short session in prison really changed how the kids ended up.
½ July 3, 2010
I know they do this kind of stuff all the time now, but it was shocking to see kids from the 70's going into this prison and being cursed at and threatened to be raped if they ever set foot in that prison. The dvd is good because they go back and catch up with all the kids from the movie some twenty years later.
September 10, 2009
This show was funny a bunch of white 12 year olds getting yelled at black prison inmate rapists lol
August 20, 2009
If I wanted to listen to all this screaming I woulda just walked downstairs and talked to my family.
June 7, 2009
I can watch this over and over.
½ May 10, 2009
A bit of documentary history, solid in every part.
½ August 2, 2008
You think you're a tough guy?
February 18, 2008
This movie was based on convicts trying to warn some juvenile delinquents where they will end up, and how their lives will turn out, if they didn't change. I liked it. A couple of kids cried.
January 30, 2008
i have heard some funny stuff about it.
January 23, 2008
pretty intense, somehow the crappy production adds to the power
½ December 28, 2007
trying to imagine if this would work today on the kids. This shocked the sh1ts out of me as a teen too! hard to imagine it was 1978! and there was a tv version, but not as scary, no profanity at all... but still!
½ October 30, 2007
A weird kind of exploitation, featuring Peter Falk.
September 18, 2007
Interesting to watch. Nothing amazing.
July 16, 2007
convince me not to go to jail
July 14, 2007
When i first saw this as a teenager it scared the bejezzus out of me. Scary guys spilling the beans tha tif you come to prison you will be exploited then sold for cigarettes. So stay clean kids!
June 7, 2007
"I'm a tell you why I took yo' fuckin sneakers. Cuz you muthafuckas is out there deprivin' people of they muthafuckin livins. Now how does it feel to be chumped the fuck off, and I ain't have no knife, or no gun, or none of that bullshit. Bitch-ass muthafucka! And it don't take no 5 muthafuckas to rape one of you punk muthafuckas! Now that's how this shit go, in fuckin prison. And I know you don't like me spitting in yo' mutha fuckin face, but ain't a muthafuckin thing you can do about it neither....punk muthafucka!" oh yes, my friends...this is 5 stars.
April 13, 2007
A good one to watch in case you ever contemplate a life of crime.
March 11, 2006
wow! i like the 20 Years Later feature on the DVD All they're lives have Changed drastically its great... Worth watching!