Scarlett - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Scarlett Reviews

½ August 23, 2016
I thought the casting was really well done. Timothy Dalton as Rhett Butler and Joanne Whalley as Scarlett O'Hara Butler were excellent choices for the role. The storyline was really great and kept my interest. I'm glad they had Sean Bean as the protagonist Lord Richard Fenton he did an amazing job. I recommend watching this miniseries if you get the chance or can actually find it. An interesting sequel to GWTW.
June 15, 2014
It both succeeds epically and fails epically at the same time. As an adaptation of the incredibly weak novel Scarlett, it's a triumph. The mini-series manages to hold the audience's attention while the novel was a complete snoozefest. However, as a sequel to one of the greatest movies ever made, it can't help but pale in comparison. The costumes and dialogue are impeccable, as are the actors. Joanne-Walley is a good Scarlett, and Timothy Dalton is surprisingly badass as Rhett. But there's too little plot and way too much talking. This is like a 6 to 8 hour special that could have just been 2 hours at maximum, if the numerous conversations had been trimmed down. Very mixed feelings about this miniseries, but overall, if you're a hardcore fan of Gone With the Wind, and you'll take whatever you can get from the franchise, see this series. Everyone else will probably be bored by it.
August 18, 2013
It is difficult to compete with "Gone with the wind" and the perfect casting of Vivien Leigh and, even more so, Clark Gable. Nevertheless, it is good adaptation and, in some moments, it succeeds in capturing the passion of Scarlett and Rhett, both in their own personality and to each other. The less you comare it to the classic from 1939, the more you will enjoy it.
January 28, 2013
You need to get this on Flixster
October 20, 2012
Absolutely LOVED it!!!
September 30, 2012
Most defiantly not gone with the wind! It is a good sequel but will never match up to the first
April 10, 2012
Love this movie i could watch a billion, one times
January 18, 2012
better than gone with the wind
½ December 25, 2011
In no way it could beat Gone with the Wind. But I kinda liked to see what happened to Scarlett and Rhett afterward, although none of the leads were close to the characters in their appearances. ( Dear Mr. Dalton, you'll always be the best actor who portrayed Mr.Rochester in Jane Eyre, but not Rhett Butler)
½ November 21, 2011
Hold your breath -- I liked it better than the first! In both, bad things keep happening, but at least this one, I like the ending.
May 22, 2011
Despite all appearances to the contrary, this is actually quite good, but then I liked the book it's based on. A completely miscast Scarlett notwithstanding, it only fails in its ambition. I loved Colm Meaney as the tragic Irish cousin, Sean Bean playing an evil landlord love interest and a young Tina Kellegher (Niamh from Ballykissangel) who gets a particularly affecting story. Where it succeeds is in its portrayal of Ireland and the Irish, which is unusually subtle for once. However it needs more Rhett as Timothy Dalton is a suitable successor to Clark Gable, just shame about Scarlett herself.
mingsysar
May 22, 2011
½ March 6, 2011
Book = WAAAY more entertaining and interesting, but it was still a good movie
½ October 6, 2010
How in the world did they think that BROWN-EYED Joanne Whalley could pull off the roll of GREEN EYED Scarlett O'Hara? This movie sucked so bad, it's pathetic. What a waste of time!
September 15, 2010
For what this movie is I enjoyed it. The acting is nort the greatest but its an early 90's miniseries. The sequa to Gone with the wind yes it should of never been made but it was enjoyable for a miniseries.
½ August 29, 2010
Please, Joanne Whalley is no Vivien Leigh. The movie made Rhett lost his pizzaz and Scarlett just another whiny divorcee.
June 21, 2010
better than gone with the wind
½ May 27, 2010
I'm sorry, I know it's been slagged off all over the world but frankly... I liked it! Was prepared to fastforward through the four discs but as soon as she moved to Ireland I was hooked. Can't really say why I liked it, know I enjoyed the banter, the Irish history lesson, the alienation coming to a new country, twat Fenton - and I loved her! What a feisty, strong woman. LOL Lovely. Yup, can actually recommend it - believe it or not.