Scènes de lit - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Scènes de lit Reviews

February 27, 2017
The Black Hole ***1/2. Very funny punchline in which it's revealed that a prostitute who can sing while giving felatio is actually doing it through the eye socket where she pops her eyeball out after the lights shut off. I like the use of stark blue and red, as well as the mirror in these shots.

Mr. Clean *** Seems boring at first, as it's only two shots of a couple in bed, but as we see her go from willing and ready for sex, to gradually uninterested as he talks about his lack of hygiene, we realize that context and the ideas within are everything.

Madame ** A 19 year old boy wants to mate with a widowed 52 year old. The ensuing conversation isn't terribly interesting.

Heads or Tails * Waste of film countdown to 69

The Ideal Man * Poor cinematography, shadows covering the 'therapists' face artlessly.

Love in the Dark **1/2 Nice soft blue halo light coming around their faces.

The Virgins **
October 3, 2013
Shot on video on what looks and sounds like TV equipment and sets, so basically it's unbearably ugly, there's only two or three worthwhile scenes that transcend the technical limitations.
December 5, 2009
I got my first approach to François Ozon's cinema tonight, when a friend and I saw his short films on DVD one after the other. When the Scènes de lit series came along, I was already hooked on his beautiful close-ups, his extraordinary direction and his witty, sexy screenplays. But when the last bit of this particular collection came along, I was a huge fan.

From the hilarity of Black hole and the sexy cheerfulness of Heads or tails to the subtle sensuality of Madame and the icky dialogue in Mr Clean, every single piece of this flawless machinery works perfectly for the greater good and the machinist, Mr Ozon, knows his game so brilliantly that he's able to put his soul into several one-minute films and make them unforgettable, he makes you beg for more and he lures you into his realm with such dexterity, it's unbelievable.

My favorite? The sexual simplicity and tenderness of The Virgins. It will haunt me til the end of time.