Scenes from the Class Struggle in Beverly Hills Reviews

• Dec 23, 2017

Paul Bartel's final film as both writer/director feels consistent with his earlier black comic outings ("Death Race 2000," "Eating Raoul," etc.). Set in Beverly Hills among the rich and beautiful, the film follows a houseboy and a chauffeur betting who their recently widowed employer, Jacqueline Bisset, will bed next. The cast is a good one, which includes Ray Sharkey, Mary Woronov, Ed Begley Jr., Wallace Shawn, Bartel, Paul Mazursky, Barret Oliver, and an uncredited Little Richard, but it's really Bartel's unique voice as co-writer/director that makes this farcical sex comedy uniquely enjoyable. Bartel's plot set-up could easily have been a standard 80s sex comedy along the lines of "Class" or "My Tutor," but Bartel's exaggerated soap opera tone to the boundary pushing humor make it a hilariously mannered comedy that doesn't feel far off from John Waters. Bartel's films are never ones that were intended to appeal to a wide audience, but for those who do enjoy his offbeat satirical style, this is quite enjoyable.

• Mar 23, 2017

Dreadful comedy about two shallow rich families in Beverly Hills sharing a mansion. Really struggles with humour with most attempts centered around the group sleeping with each other or attempting to seduce others in the house.

• Mar 10, 2010

An alternately amusing, tiresome, intelligent and disappointing modernization of Jean Renoir's Rules of the Game. It never lives up to the promise of its opening scene, but it's a nice little departure for Paul Bartel.

• Dec 18, 2009

What's up with the cover art listed on this site? It has nothing to do with this film. Anyway...I'm a freak for Paul Bartel. His films are dark, subversive, and always hilarious. Scenes From A Class Struggle might not be his best work, but it sure is better than most of the similar movies out there. The cast is beyond stellar and I'm always up for Jackie Bisset in anything. It's pretty much a spoof on all the tacky 80's soaps like Dallas and Dynasty with a bunch of selfish, unlikeable rich idiots sleeping with each other backs. The late Ray Sharkey turns in a memorably sleazy performance as a bisexual gigilo of a servant. It's always nice to see the wonderful Mary Woronov in anything as well. It's certainly weird, but that's it's oddball charm. It's worth checking out if you can find it.

• Sep 11, 2008

a little bit funny but mostly dumb in a vapid ostentatious 80's way.

a little bit funny but mostly dumb in a vapid ostentatious 80's way.

• Nov 12, 2007

Hot, saucy, ribald escapades of the rich and bored. Arnetia Walker as To-Bel steals every scene she appears in.

• Oct 17, 2007

Funniest movie ever. Best line: "By the way, your buddy Howard here recently did some exploration of certain dark parts of my continent. In fact, he went so deep into areas unexplored by your feeble playwritin' ass that I was beginning to think he was Louis AND Clark!"

• Sep 05, 2007

A favorite. I only saw it once, but I loved it.

A favorite. I only saw it once, but I loved it.

• Jul 28, 2007

This bizaree retread of Luis Buneul films is a somewhat amusing send up of class, manners, and sexual mores

• Jul 04, 2007

Begley, Jr. vs. Wallace Shawn. What could be better? "A mouth is a mouth is a mouth."