Schindler's List - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Schindler's List Reviews

½ August 14, 2017
Schindler's List is a must-see for anyone remotely interested in the Second World War, as it shows a side of it rarely seen in the cinema. The brutality of the film is essential to showing what really happened to Jews during the period, and the writing staff, director/producers and the actors all come together brilliantly to detail the story.
August 12, 2017
Mixing the well-known Hollywood formula for dramatism with absolute historical accuracy (both in terms of plot and cruelty), led by career-marking performances by Liam Neeson, Ben Kingsley and Ralph Fiennes and bolstered by a unique cinematography and John William's heartbreaking score, "Schindler's List" tells a brutal yet immensely heartfelt Holocaust story that never sacrifices veracity for spectacle, and that easily stands out as Steven Spielberg's best film, as well as one of the best films ever made.
August 10, 2017
Tragedy on super steroids
August 5, 2017
'Schindler's List' is a true story that deserves to be seen by everyone -- no matter what. It's a humane, powerful and emotionally heartbreaking story of a man going against his own beliefs and doing what, in the simplest terms, is the right thing to do. Sure it might be too slow and lengthy for some people, but it's one movie of its kind with a story that got more to tell than any other blockbuster.

Personal rating: 80/100
Critical rating: 88/100
July 30, 2017
An absolutely beautiful but heartbreaking movie.
July 16, 2017
I can't remember a time before this where a movie left me sobbing. Its a masterpiece.
½ July 16, 2017
It's a collective punishment of those who where not part of any war.
July 16, 2017
Absolute masterpiece, the film that put Liam niesson on the map. If you watch the last scene and don't have tears in your eyes you are not human..."I could've done more"...
July 13, 2017
Spielberg is a propagandist for sure, just witness the travesty that was Lincoln. But Schindler's List transcends politics to create a beautiful and mechanically flawless showcase of inhuman cruelty - indeed, man at his most profane and evil. Spielberg is the Leni Riefenstahl of his day, but in contrast to her, worshiped for his good vs evil simplicity.

Most of Steven Spielberg's films are popcorn entertainment, and in many ways, Schindler's List could be considered the popcorn holocaust film. However, I was in awe the way Spielberg masterfully played his audience. He shot the film as an artist, and with 25% of the sentimentality any other filmmaker would have used. More importantly, he used his technical skills to create a brutal and harrowing vision of Nazi atrocities in a way no other abstract thinker could possibly have done. Stanley Kubrick and Terry Gilliam once said that Spielberg failed to make a true masterpiece, because "Schindler's List was about success...the holocaust was about failure." However, to me, this just makes Spielberg a success. How anyone could make a holocaust backdrop as an inspiring story of humanity is nothing short of genius. Spielberg earns the highest honor-he's Leni Riefenstahl good. And thank God he uses his talent for good and not evil.

What I Learned: I think this movie really showed me how to present a narrative about death and despair in a mainstream way. I've always struggled with how to present such terrible visions that need to be heard, to an audience that wants to be entertained. It's not about compromise, the Propaganda Master said to me. It's about proper focus.
July 12, 2017
This movie is a classic, however its bored me. Ive read and watched a lot about the holocaust, and this didnt really grab my attention. i understand they wanted to make it look old fashioned, hint, the black and white, but that kinf of threw me off as well. i have respect for this movie and i undestand what it represents, but i certainly did not like it, nor was i entertained by it.
July 10, 2017
Slow, long, depressing, but beautifully made, Schindler's List is a classic.
June 30, 2017
Es digno de mención el cómo una película tan supuestamente dramática como esta es capaz de hacerte reir o sentir terror en diferentes momentos y eso es gracias a un gran guión y a la mano ejecutora de Spielberg. No es de extrañar que sea uno de los grandes.

Y si bien este clásico moderno suyo no me llego a impresionar tanto como yo esperaba, no se puede negar el excelente trabajo de las partes integrantes. Desde las magníficas actuaciones de su reparto, encabezado por Liam Neelson, hasta el genial trabajo de fotografía y edición.

¿Un gran clásico? Sin duda.
June 23, 2017
Truly a masterpiece by Speilberg.
June 21, 2017
One of the most emotional and the most dramatic movie i've ever seen.Again a great prod. from Spielberg.Hilarious performances by Liam and Ralph.A wonderful soundtrack !
June 21, 2017
Touching, inspiring, sad, emotional. All of these words can describe Steven Spielberg masterpiece about the holocaust. Schindler's List is a well made film. With all of the actors delivering terrific roles especially Ralph Fiennes as Amon Goeth, Ben Kinsley as Itzhalk Stern, and Liam Neeson as Oskar Shindler. One of the, if not, most powerful movies ever created.
June 20, 2017
Powerful and telling of one of the worst crimes in human history, Spielberg's grim tale of the despair and suffering of those persecuted during the Holocaust is a haunting tour-de-force that shows Spielberg at his absolute best. This masterpiece describes the very nature of what makes us compassionate beings, and illustrates brilliantly what can happen to demean an individual as those who genuinely believed in their work as members of the Nazi regime.
½ June 17, 2017
I have never been one to praise Steven Spielberg at the mere mention of his name. If I'm with everyone (including myself), Steven Spielberg isn't that amazing. He's made a few timeless classics, but everything else is just like any other average film. For this one, though, I will give Spielberg all the praise people seem to think he deserves.

At 3 hours and 15 minutes, Schindler's List is easily one of the longest films I've seen in my relatively short lifetime. Honestly, I don't believe the plot starts until an hour in. Somehow, the riveting storytelling here keeps me compelled to watch every second. I just can't miss a frame. Even better, Liam Neeson and Ben Kingsley's were so poignant. Every line was spoken with a certain level of emotion perfect for the scene. The characters were easy enough to like. It made this movie so much more heart-wrenching.

One of the most brilliant yet basic parts of this movie is that nearly every scene was filmed in black and white. It gave it a timey feel, as if the viewer was really there watching this disturbing tale unfold. I would recommend this movie to everyone. Whether you watch it for the brilliant filmmaking or the historical aspect of it all, it is a must-see.
½ June 4, 2017
A really well produced film - this title undoubtedly shows that Spielberg can make valid, immersive and moving cinema with all kinds of story angles and beautiful production values to boot. Admittedly, the film is somewhat downbeat as it focuses on a Polish businessman that employs Jewish labour during the tragedy and mindless violence of WWII but also the film commands a fairly large cast and is one of the best films of its type, additionally one of the best releases of it's decade
June 4, 2017
Amazing. Heart-rending. A must see!
½ May 28, 2017
This movie serves as a potent reminder us of how we could always show more empathy, especially in the face of social swarming.