Schindler's List - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Schindler's List Reviews

September 25, 2016
One of the most powerful and moving films ever. You cannot believe it's just a movie but yet a masterpiece.
September 20, 2016
Stephen Spielberg's directions is astounding, the story is simultaneously heartwarming and heartbreaking (the numerous atrocities were difficult to watch), John Williams' score is fantastic and memorable, and Liam Neeson, Ben Kingsley, and Ralph Fiennes all give great performances.
September 20, 2016
Schindler's List is directed by Steven Spielberg and stars Liam Neeson as Oscar Schindler, a German businessman who saved the lives of hundreds of Polish Jews during the Holocaust by employing them in his factories. Ben Kingsley also stars as Itzhak Stern, a Jewish accountant under Schindler's employ, and Ralph Fiennes as Nazi officer Amon Goth.

Has there ever been a movie you've always wanted to see but have never taken the time to watch? That was my situation with Schindler's List. I had heard fantastic things about it, but just didn't want to take the 3+ hours to sit down and watch. I jumped at the first good opportunity I had to view this movie, and I'm glad I did. Schindler's List is a masterpiece.

Typically, I'm not the biggest fan of Spielberg movies. I find a lot of his works are a bit overrated. However, there's no denying that he is an expert when it comes to crafting a production. Every stylistic decision Spielberg made paid off; the black-and-white recording effectively painted the bleakness and hopelessness of the Holocaust, and the cinematography and editing always matched the scene presented (quick edits during the frantic purges, etc). There was also one big instance of color in the film: Schindler spotted a little girl in a red coat running during a scene where Jews were being purged out of their homes. Later, Schindler saw that girl dead, still wearing her red coat. To me, that symbolized the turning point in Schindler's mindset, where he went from businessman to savior. Little things like this throughout the film really stood out, and John Williams' score only magnified the emotional impact of each scene.

Of course, it helps that Spielberg had tremendous talent to work with. Liam Neeson delivers his best performance to date as the layered Schindler, and Kingsley and Fiennes give powerful deliveries as well. Neeson especially delivers towards the end of the movie, his scene with Fiennes about what power really is standing out. And yes, I teared up at the end during Schindler's final scene with his employees.

I hate to be nit-picky with a movie like this, but there is one thing that bugged me. The length of scenes depicting the hardship of the Jews were unnecessarily long. I understand that it's that way on purpose to emphasize the horror of the Holocaust, but a lot of those scenes seemed to go on and on. Some of those scenes could have been cut down without sacrificing their impact. It would have helped the run time of the movie as well, keeping it at 3 hours instead of going over.

Overall, this is a must-see for everybody, movie fan or not. Spielberg delivers what I believe to be his best film, and the entire cast shows up to play. I'll probably never watch this movie again, but I'm forever glad I did. If you find yourself in the right mindset with 3+ hours to kill, go watch Schindler's List and let it change your life.

Final grade: A

-Ben
September 11, 2016
Every aspect of this film is beautiful: the acting, the music, the cinematography, the story. Your emotions will be pulled in a million different directions. It will leave you simply breathless. Spielberg delivers on a level of his own.
September 3, 2016
What an unpleasant experience
August 30, 2016
Ultra realistically stark, fearlessly crafted pungent tale of intense tragic history created by the mastery of Spielberg which stands out to be the greatest epic historical experience.
August 25, 2016
One of the most emotionally moving and poignant films I've ever seen.
August 24, 2016
Schindler's List is well crafted and one of the few perfect films.
½ August 23, 2016
WOW..... GREAT VIEW....
August 19, 2016
One of the best movies I have ever seen. Each scene has so much meaning, each scene is brilliant storytelling. At times you'll be sad, mad, glad, happy, and even crying. This is Spielberg at his best.
August 14, 2016
A stunning visual movie the captured the hearts of many and shocked those who knew little about the holocaust to give them an in depth story about the great Oscar Schindler who saved thousands of Jewish lives. Although this movie made me cry and feel ever so sad it made me think and internalize each scene and see it in a real life perspective and why people do things like the holocaust or why Oscar tried to save them.
August 10, 2016
Spielberg managed to recreate history in Schindlers List with incredible performances and truly heartbreaking scenes that will make you question humanity at moments. I was glad that i saw this because it is an important film but i did not leave this film in a joyful mood and that says something.
August 9, 2016
I love Jaws, Jurassic Park and Raiders of Lost Ark just as much as everyone. All classic movies that will stand the test of time. But it's with "Schindler's List" that Spielberg cements his place as the greatest director who has ever lived (while also being Liam Neeson and Ben Kingsley's best roles, Ralph Fiennes is great as well) It may not be as rewatchable (I last saw it five years ago) but it is one of the most important and moving films that has ever been made, and Spielberg's undoubted masterpiece.
August 5, 2016
A sad but incredibly realistic take on the Holocaust, Steven Speilburg's excellent directing mixed with the fantastic cast makes for a great telling of the Jews Oskar Schindler saved. This film should be compulsory at schools across the globe as to make sure history never repeats.
½ August 4, 2016
the best performance of Liam Neeson...
½ August 2, 2016
Not only is this a modern classic, but it conveys the horrors of the Holocaust to perfection. Excellent script, Oscar-worthy acting (Fiennes deserved the award, sorry Tom) and thought-provoking ideas- the red coat was beautiful- Schindler's List stands as one of the great movies of our generation.
Verdict: A
July 30, 2016
In my opinion, this is Spielberg's war masterpiece, ultimately triumphing over Saving Private Ryan, another great film, because of the strong emotional core at the centre of it. Liam Neeson's casting as Schindler is Oscar worthy, creating many layers to the man's mystique.
July 11, 2016
Thank you Steven Spielberg for this work of art.
July 9, 2016
You will never be the same after watching this movie.
July 6, 2016
One of the best movies about the holcaust out there.