Schlock Reviews

• Sep 24, 2017

Awesome cult classic

Awesome cult classic

• Jul 07, 2015

This is a rediculously movie; very cheaply made, but it's still a charming effort. There's some pretty goofy effects that are attempting to show the guy in the Gorilla costume has extra strength. I think if you can get past that you'll notice there are some pretty well timed sight gags; in the style of National Lampoon films. A serviceable slapstick film

• Aug 14, 2014

John Landis wrote, directed and starred in his first film, a monster movie parody about a monkey man who falls in love with a girl who was blind but just had an operation to give her sight. It is goofy, it is madness, and it is fun. Landis when on to direct many well-known features, but his first is a rarely seen goof on corny monster movies with some solid gags throughout. I enjoyed this, found it funny, and thought Rick Baker's early work was surprisingly good considering how early in his career this really is and how small the budget must've been.

• Apr 20, 2014

It's John Landis's first movie made with no money. It's goofy but amusing.

It's John Landis's first movie made with no money. It's goofy but amusing.

• Feb 27, 2014

It's zany fun. There isn't much of a plot, but somehow it's neat to follow Schlock around. The characters are corny and the acting is purposely bad. While the dumbness does numb the humor some, there are still laughs throughout. It'll make a great double-feature with Attack of the Killer Tomatoes.

• Aug 19, 2013

Genuinely funny horror movie parody--Cheap, Quick, and Funny!!

Genuinely funny horror movie parody--Cheap, Quick, and Funny!!

• Aug 13, 2011

Super low-budget directorial debut for John Landis. Some will think it one of the worst movies ever made, others will find it very quirky and funny. I'm in the latter camp. It also has one of the earliest sp fx make ups by the great make up artist Rick Baker. The Schlock boogie is one of the funniest movie scenes from the 70's.

• Feb 28, 2011

wow I can't believe I'm saying this but this movie was a fantastic comedy

wow I can't believe I'm saying this but this movie was a fantastic comedy

• Dec 31, 2010

John Landis often says that you know a picture is good if it features a man in a gorilla suit. Now I can see why - his first credited feature, which he wrote and directed, features Landis himself wearing Rick Baker's gorilla suit in almost every scene. The whole affair is very amateurish, virtually plotless, and clearly was made on a shoestring budget, but the jokes (mostly of the spoof and slapstick variety) hit more often than miss. In fact, I can see some of the same deadpan style that he would later use to great effect in The Blues Brothers. It's the kind of "bad move" that is to be laughed with, not laughed at.

• ken j Super Reviewer
    Jul 10, 2010

A monkey type monster falls inlove with a blind girl who in return thinks he is just a big dog of cause this monkey has been terrorizing the neighborhood and once he kidnaps the girl things finally go to far cause now the army is finally after him and aims to bring this bad monkey down. One of the earlier films of John Landis is also not a bad one this of course is made as a spoof and some of the jokes fall flat but its a goofy good time for anyone that wants to check it out.