Schultze Gets the Blues - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Schultze Gets the Blues Reviews

½ February 17, 2014
Cute "slice of life" comedy about getting out of a rut and finding new enthusiasm by trying new things, because life is too short to plod along with the "same old, same old."
September 9, 2012
Thinking about how I loved the movie Robot and Frank. I wanted to make sure that people know that this fantastic movie.
½ June 1, 2012
Quirky and charming, there's not a lot of dialog or action. Still an interesting view into cross-cultural influence and exchange of music from Germany to the US.
April 10, 2012
Loved this movie -- doesn't play to short-attention span theatre-goers. The realistic pacing was very refreshing. I found it to be uplifting and very moving.
½ April 8, 2012
I was totally against seeing this and by the end I kind of loved it.
March 24, 2012
A quirky little foreign film about a lovable chubby German fellow who loves Blues and Bluegrass
February 6, 2012
Funny, Sweet, Sad, even Silly. Yet wonderful withal: Schultze, a rock of salt on the earth, is a yearning soul on a journey to his own understandings. You have to love the guy not only for trying, but for doing it against all his odds!
September 14, 2011
An OK art house comedy but somewhat too much of an art house comedy at times: somewhat slow-paced, not much dialogue and quite detached acting. If you can bear all that, its worth a watch.
½ December 11, 2010
Such a sweet and endearing movie. Loved it very much
July 30, 2010
My favorite foreign film of all time. There were a lot of things that I could identify with in this movie because of my German heritage.
½ July 23, 2010
Watch the first 5 minutes to see if you have the patience this film requires! If not, don't be ashamed to put it aside for later. When you do go for it, be sure to watch the *whole* thing; stopping halfway through will just leave you frustrated.
I came in already liking a lot about the subject matter -- accordion music, garden gnomes, the bayou -- but it was still difficult to watch. It's paced SO FRIGGIN' SLOW (and doesn't really get much quicker as it goes on).
And yet... the last 10 minutes made me rethink the whole thing and look back on it more warmly. As some reviewer said, "It's a bit of a surprise when the film ends and you realize that you've been touched in unanticipated ways by Schultze's solitary quest."
The plot itself makes me reflect on what's the meaning of life, where to look for joy, etc. And there are a few *great* little moments (when he first hears the new music on the radio, or when his first zydeco dance-partner leaves him).
Still, I don't know that I could sit through it again. Perhaps the way it's filmed is *supposed* to feel uncomfortable to someone used to modern fast-paced Hollywood film-making? Maybe that's the whole point? Maybe if I knew more about film art theory I could appreciate why the camera is always still and unmoving, or why *every single scene* goes on for 30 seconds longer than it "needs to" by usual standards... but I'm not good at that stuff. It definitely gives the film an unusual character!
June 10, 2010
This is an extremely slow and quiet German movie. Schultz does get under your skin, though. He retires from the mines and hangs out with his former co-workers. He plays the accordion in a polka band. He develops a relationship with a lively woman at the nursing home where he faithfully visits his unresponsive wife. He discovers American Cajun Zydeco blues on the radio. When he wins a contest to travel to Texas for a polka festival he ends up sailing a boat to New Orleans. I love the little gnome that he attaches to the steering wheel. Along the way he receives some southern hospitality and spends his last days enjoying music that he loves.
June 5, 2010
This is a film with very little dialogue. There were times when I thought I had accidentally muted the television because of the expansive silence. An extremely slow moving film that, at times, felt like I was looking at a still photograph. Schultze is loveable & his discovery of zydeco music is sweet, but this movie just didn't go anywhere, for me. I found myself continually thinking, "surely this will get better... surely it will pick me", but it never did. I could see as this film could be viewed as a very endearing story, but for me, I was left thinking, "huh.. is that it?"
March 18, 2010
This isn't the quirky comedy that the trailer seems to show, but there is real heart in this one. The tempo was rather slow and took some getting used to, but I think it helped to emphasize the uncertain rhythms that recent retirees often face.
March 12, 2010
BROKEN RIBS DONT HURT. They feel good.
½ February 15, 2010
Schultze and his two friends have been put out to pasture in early retirement but this is no time for him to stick to the traditional polka script. Schultze?...no way!

If you're looking for a film that will grab you by the neck, pass on this one. If you're looking for one that you will place you on it's back and take you on an unpredictable voyage like life often takes us on, you could do worse than travelling with Scultze. Delightfully droll but not for those lacking patience.
½ December 26, 2009
Reticent protagonist, quirky likable flick
½ December 18, 2009
Given most Americans' film diet, few of us will be willing to sit through this slow-paced subtitled tale, particularly the first half-hour or so. But please believe me, it is worth every slow scene, every subtitle. From the time Schultze hears his first zydeco music on the radio to the time he dies on a houseboat in a Louisiana bayou, you'll be a willing participant in Schultze's adventure. There are many echos of Easy Rider in this movie, and I'm certain they're intentional. Just picture a bicycle, not a chopper, and adjust your mindset accordingly. Really well done; I'm so glad I discovered this movie!
December 11, 2009
Everyone loves this but I found it unwatchable. The director went to the same school as Strongsad, who "minored in holding wide shots too long." Had to turn it off after 30 minutes. Lots of coughing scenes for some reason.
½ November 29, 2009
What do you get if an art house director makes a movie about an unemployed middle aged German worker who likes to play polkas on his accordeon?

A slow movie, with the main character hanging around with the people in his little town, with lots of landscape and interior shots that remind me of the photographs of Bernd and Hilla Becher.

The little town's Texan sister city invites one musician over to America, and it takes the movie one hour to decide to send Schultze, who has recently discovered cajun music. It seems the movie gets slightly faster there (and the location shots seem less precise), as the mono-lingual Schulze discovers the rhythm of southern States.

7 points, not in the least, because of Horst Krause's great depiction of Schultze.