Scooby-Doo! and the Curse of the 13th Ghost Reviews

• Feb 28, 2019

Ok heres my beef. Vincent is played a little over the top with his puns. I realize in the originals he used them often but this was done to the point that the other characters called him out making him look like a dope whos overly into horror. Also Vincent can't use magic. That's right folks the most powerful warlock ever can't use magic. Why? Because he has "wizard block". He never recovers his powers and the way they have Velma "make up" a story at the end to appease him makes him look like he never could at all and hes just a wierdo. They have him having fake sounds and rigged security system. Oh and remember the original 12 ghosts? They were just mass hallucinations in Velma's eyes which again is played to make it like nothing in the original series ever happened. Like Shaggy Scooby Daphne and Flim Flam was just tripping hard on some lotsa luck joy juice. I f youve never seen the originals, its not a bad movie, but for fans this just stepped all over it while smacking you in the face. I mean what the flip? It's like they weren't allowed to show magic being used unless it was "an illusion". Of all the ridiculous shows out there and we can't show that? It completely retconned everything from that series. Remeber the village that was cursed for originally locking the demons up? Oh well im glad because that never happened. Its also supposed to be only a short time (we are talking around a year from what i gathered at the most) after the series yet Flim Flam completly grown. Wondering where Fred and Velma were during this "summer vacation". Velma camp which im assuming science. Fred well he was at cheerleading camp. Ill give ya a sec for that to sink in....Thirteenth ghost was just a man in a mask. In closing let me say I know its a cartoon that was made for kids but when you do somthing like this that plays off somthing that loved maybe not to the extent of the originals but still loved. Dont completly change what already happened. Thats not a continuation or remake or whatever. If thats what your gonna do anyways just come up with your own original story.

• Feb 24, 2019

A fun film at times, but ultimately destroys the 13 Ghosts of Scooby Doo in the process. LaMarche does a great job in recreating the legendary Vincent Prices role as Vincent Van Ghoul. It is an interesting take to shift the group dynamics so much in the film and curious to if it continues with other direct to dvd movies and the new series.

• Feb 22, 2019

Okay, listen. I LOVED the original show. That was the first time real ghosts showed up in scooby doo. And this movie was like if i was sitting in front of a fan on a nice warm sunny day and a huge turd passed right through it and splattered all over my face. This movie was not a conclusion at all. Since Velma practically live to Vincent about (spoilers, not saying you should see the movie), that means the 13th ghost could be out there wreaking havok and waiting for his chance to get his hands on the chest of demons and kickstart the apocalypse. Freds character was completely ruined. I now what to choke Velma to death whenever i see her because she ruins everything! They completely excluded scrappy. The 13th ghost was just another man in a mask, leaving the real one out there and the ending to the original series the 13 ghosts of scooby doo an open book. Plus, the original 13 ghosts cast didnt reunite until the last few minutes. I so badly wanted a conclusion, and sadly, we will never get one. The ending is just another dream.

• Feb 06, 2019

The 13 Ghosts of Scooby-Doo was one of my favorite incarnations of the show as a kid. So I was excited when I heard about this movie. Sad to say, it doesn't live up to my expectations. What I thought was going to be a reunion of the gang with Van Ghoul and Flim Flam turned out to be a series of overly long, unfunny gags, mostly centering around Fred's insecurities (and cheerleading because they thought that was funny, I guess) that strained even my tolerance for lame 80s Hannah Barbera comedy. I often felt the writers were more concerned with poking fun at the concept of Scooby-Doo more than the advertised plot. Which is all well and good but it's been done (Zombie Island) and done better (Mystery Inc.) The reunion of the 13 Ghosts cast, which you actually came here to see, didn't come until late into the movie, essentially being treated as an afterthought. Likewise, the absence of Scrappy-Doo was reduced to one throwaway joke. The most grating part of this movie for me was that 13 Ghosts centered around the gang trying to trap 13 actual ghosts in a magic chest, eventually catching all but the 13th. This is back during a time when the series was less mystery and more goofy comedy that didn't care to shy away from the supernatural. But this movie was trying to fit that plot into their usual and current "guy in a mask" theme. This not only ended up being a major letdown but kind of insulting. The 13th ghost was a great big nothing, Van Ghoul was portrayed as a powerless whimp and they invalidated the entire 13 Ghosts of Scooby-Doo series by implying it never happened. Why couldn't they have just set this in the 13 Ghosts universe as a stand alone? It's not like these movies have a continuing narrative you have to follow. This movie didn't know what it wanted to be. Kids today don't remember 13 Ghosts so they'll probably like it but as someone who grew up with it, and obviously was the target of their nostalgia, I feel like they took something dear from my childhood and dumped all over it. Why even bother making this a series finale of a 30 year old show to begin with?

• Feb 06, 2019

Back in the 80's there was a short-lived Scooby-Doo show called "The Thirteen Ghosts of Scooby-Doo," in which the titular dog and friends hunted down thirteen evil apparitions that had escaped a magic chest. The show differentiated itself from other installments by being more humor-oriented and breaking the fourth wall, outfit changes, and new characters young con-artist Flim Flam and warlock Vincent Van Ghoul, voiced by the late great Vincent Price. Though short lived and not the best remembered show it has its fans. In a ranking of SD shows, this'd probably be in the middle. Thing is: the show ended with only 11 ghosts being captured. Well someone at Warner Bros. Animation must be fond of this. Besides references to Flim Flam and Van Ghoul, we now, approximately 30 years, later have a conclusion to the show where the Scooby gang hunts down the final ghost. (Sort of a conclusion anyway. It's in its own continuity.) I was entertained and thought it was one of the better recent Scooby-Doo movies. The creators were clearly having fun with this. The movie remains upbeat and there are a couple of pretty humorous lines. Fred and Velma weren't in the original show, so the film really runs with them trying to wrap their heads around the off-formula goings-ons of the whole thing. Daphne was the leader in the show, and she resumes it here. She does a good job in the lead having a sort of determined ability to roll with all the punches. Van Ghoul, who could've been a sixth-wheel to the group, surprisingly fits in. He has sort of a campy melodramatic backstory and resoluteness to himself that just works. Plus I love his childish obsession with bad horror puns. The movie does lose some steam by the middle and the ending is a little underwhelming. Plus, the gang has a crisis at the beginning that isn't properly resolved. The movie stays within the tone of the recent SB made-for-DVD movies and not the show so not fourth-wall breaking jokes or Scrappy-Doo. Personally, I haven't liked Scooby's nephew, even when I was a kid, but I can see how fans of Scrappy would be upset that they do so much now-a-days to throw Scrappy to the side. Animation remains bright and colorful with strong line work. There is one flashback scene that is really well animated. However, some of the action scenes seem a little weak compared to past movies. There are several nods to the unique looks of the characters during the 13 Ghosts. Though Daphne's hair and outfit and the Mystery Machine's appearance were too dated to use, we do get some impressive updates with Daphne in a leather jacket and the Mystery Machine designed to be more of a sleeker high-tech van. Overall, your kids probably won't care about the backstory and this is self-contained enough that they won't be bothered. I think they'll like Vincent's puns.

• Feb 06, 2019

The movie was ok but I am very disappointed by the ending of the film. I did enjoy the references from the original tv show, and Maurice LaMarche did an amazing impression of Vincent. Flimflam was perfect I love that he still the same but just older now. What makes me very disappointed is that Bogel and Weerd were not in the movie, Velma and Fred was so annoying that I wished they brought Scrappy instead of them, but the most disappointing thing of all in this movie was that there was no real ghost at all! It was just like all the other movies just a person in a costume wanted to sell or buy or destroy just for money. I don't have a problem with that since it still Scooby Doo but I really like when they bring real monster or ghost in their adventure just like witch ghost and zombie island so in end the movie was ok but as a fan of the original tv show I'm very displeased with the ending of this movie.

• Feb 05, 2019

Animation reminiscent of the glory days of scooby doo, but with a polished, clean, modern look. Good use of source material and world building. Clever jokes and over all a fun nostalgia filled conclusion to the series "the 13 ghosts of scooby doo.

• Feb 05, 2019

Very good film and I love the references to the original show. What I found disappointing was the dismissal of Scrappy-Doo as if he never existed and the fact they dismissed the original 12 ghost as SPOILERS Hallucinations. But other than that it was nice to see a connection and remembrance to the past and this one had thought put in. Check this out if you enjoyed the original.

• Feb 05, 2019

After 34 years scooby, shaggy and Daphne reunite with Vincent van ghoul and flim flam to catch the one ghost that got away the 13th ghost from the chest of demons.