Scooby Doo & the Samurai Sword - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Scooby Doo & the Samurai Sword Reviews

October 4, 2015
A dire attempt to cash in on the samuri franchise.
March 28, 2015
Another enjoyable Scooby-Doo animated movie. Frank Welker is Fred and Scooby again and he is joined by Brian Cox, Kelly Hu and George Takei.
Mystery Inc. solves a mystery in Japan and Scooby becomes a hero while being chased by samurai, ninjas and a tribe.
April 27, 2014
Excellent Animation + Cartoon + Comedy + Family + Mystery Movie.......................
Excellent Work.....................
January 8, 2014
one of my favorite movies
August 16, 2012
Not bad but pretty silly, even for a Scooby-Doo movie...
½ April 23, 2012
Decent Scooby adventure that doesn't entail a mystery surrounding real-estate!
February 16, 2012
Thankfully this was Casey Kasem's last Shaggy-related venture. He's done it long enough. His Shaggy was starting to sound in his 80's instead of his 20's
½ October 10, 2011
SCOOBY-DOO AND THE SAMURAI SWORD (2009)
September 26, 2011
Bottom line: worse than Chill Out, better than Goblin King. This doesn't ditch the rest of the gang too bad, except for when Shaggy becomes a samurai warrior and the sword thakes them to the dragon.
½ July 20, 2011
Well, it is Scooby-Doo!
½ May 13, 2011
Not one of Scooby Doo's best, but might as well add it to the watch list!
½ April 1, 2011
This animated film is another grand adventure in the recent onslaught of Scooby-Doo goodness!! Samurai Sword sees Mystery, Inc. travel to Tokyo, Japan as Daphne has been invited to take part in an exclusive martial arts competition. Everybody is enjoying themselves in their new and different surroundings, that is until an evil fiend named the Black Samurai makes an appearance the night before competition begins. The locals fear the worst, that the fabled Black Samurai has returned from the void in an attempt to re-claim the Sword of Doom and unleash his evil upon the land! The gang sets out to solve this mystery and think they have a leg up on the villain, getting to the sword of Doom first. But their plan unravels and in the end only Shaggy and Scooby are left unfettered to solve the mystery on their own. Thanks to a wacky old Samurai and a wise old dragon, Scooby and Shaggy get a "Samurai for Dummies" crash course and are prepared to make their stand against this ultimate evil! This was another excellent Scooby-Doo entry. What worked for me in this one is how they mixed the technology of new Japan in with the mythology and folklore of ancient Japan. Ninjas are awesome!! I also liked how the villain wasn't just another man in a mask, there was the element of the supernatural in this film along with the good old Scooby-Doo formula. Bravo!
January 5, 2011
A top notch Scooby-Doo adventure after the DTV movies and seemed to loose their way a little in the middle of the decade. Continuing the theme of non-supernatural villians, though it does feature some supernatural elements, in keeping with the original series, this throws an extra twist in by seemingly tying up the mystery by the mid way point before throwing in a surprise twist and some fantastic character moments.
Blaster1618
½ September 11, 2010
Daphne is invited to a Karate tournament at a private Dojo in Japan. The meet the Black Samurai and his robotic ninja army soon after they arrive. My sons 3-4 year old watch all the Scoby-Doo movies together. My oldest get a scared by some of the bad guys, but I ask him who is the bad guy and he responds some one we saw earlier in the show wearing a mask. The latest installments including this one diverge from the classic rubber mask formula. If your children are in that easily frightened age probably steer clear of this one and Goblin King and Aloha. These latest versions throw a lot at children besides disreputable real estate people in rubber masks. As a counterpoint to the scariness these version, there is much more discussion material out there than the classic formula version Pre-2000. There is a lot of modern and older Japanese culture watered down to the level of a 5-10 year old level. The movie is 75 minutes, about 15-20 minutes long. We watched it two time so far. At about 55 minutes you reach the classic unmasking of the Black Samurai. My youngest asked if it over but there is 20 minutes more.
½ May 23, 2010
Funny and beatifully animated.
October 25, 2009
Everything your looking for in a Scooby-Doo movie.