Scott Walker: 30 Century Man - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Scott Walker: 30 Century Man Reviews

February 20, 2011
Along the same lines at the Jandek documentary of a few years ago, but equally as interesting and mystifying. If you want to peer into the mind of a man making some of the most avant-garde music today, this is a must see.
January 27, 2011
literally studded with stars talking heads, a credible bunch too, very interesting doco on the career of walker..
½ January 25, 2011
didn't learn much of what i didn't already know. scott walker is brilliant though; already knew that too. best parts are the few snippets of interview we get from the man himself.
August 10, 2010
(Watched Fri 28 Mar 2008)
August 2, 2010
People will see this film and think, "Oh Scott Walker, what an original sound sculptor, what a visionary." Little does anyone know that Walker has been stealing my ideas for decades! It was me who started the tuneless wailing trend, OK? And,while Walker was influenced by Jacques Brel, it was moi who during my years in European exile taught Brel how to write lyrics, for crying out loud. (He got real famous too and never stayed in touch. Thanks for nothing, Jacques.) Plus, I was using animal carcasses as instruments when Scott Walker was still growing his short and curlies. But do the critics and film documentarians pay any attention to that? What about my "Cantata for Road Kill" that included two dead squirrels, a run-over opossum, a half-decomposed beaver and the hindquarters of a goat? A revolutionary work, but does Brian Eno tell interviewers how much my work changed his life? Does David Bowie kiss my hand and ask me out to lunch? Does Alison Goldfrapp wonder how I'm doing? Hell no! Instead Scott Walker makes off with all MY brilliant ideas and then collects the respect and adulation. I'm so frustrated, I think I'll retire to my recording studio right now and punch some pork bellies.
½ May 8, 2010
It is such a shame that many people don't know or have forgotten about Scott Walker. Mostly known notoriously in the sixties when he was in the Walker Brothers band, his fame has gone through many highs and lows through out the years. This is an intimate look at his story & music career as told and remembered by his many admirers and even interviews with himself. It is touching to hear him talk about the Walker Brothers era to becoming a recluse and making a triumphant return to the music scene as a composer. There are glimpses of him making the soundtrack to Leo Carax's Pola X.

You begin to understand that the music he creates is so deep and emotional and comes from a secret internal place no one can possibly describe. Sometimes it's even provocative as his lyrics range from a variety of topics from war to sadomasochistic love affairs. He has inspired musicians from David Bowie to Radiohead shown in the documentary as well. The man is a true poet, an artist, and innovator that is always trying different approaches to his music that is such an inspirational force.
May 1, 2010
I had never heard of Scott Walker, but I found this documentary very interesting, and also his music very interesting (especially as his career goes on). Includes interviews from a lot of other good musicians such as Jarvis Cocker and David Bowie.
April 26, 2010
I think I watched the last 30 minutes without breathing. All I ever knew of Scott Walker was his Jacques Brel side, and was somewhat bored with the movie until it got to his later, more experimental music, then I couldn't stop watching! I had no idea what this man was about, and now I'm captivated.
April 20, 2010
SCOTT WALKER: 30 CENTURY MAN is a rare glimpse into the creative world of the most enigmatic figure in rock history, and will trace the undeniable impact he has had on popular music through casual interviews with some of his biggest, highest profile fans.

We explore his fascinating trajectory, from jobbing bass player on LA's Sunset Strip, to his domination of the British pop scene that began in the swinging summer of 1965, to his transformation into a composer of true genius; an uncompromising and serious musician working at the peak of his powers.

At age 63, over the course of 2005, he went into the studio again, working on what could be his greatest artistic statement yet - and we were invited to document part of this process ? a privilege no filmmaker has ever been granted.
February 21, 2010
Omassa listassani ehkä kaikkien aikojen hienoin miesartisti. Mielenkiintoista miten lahjakkuus ja ahdistus kulkevat näin tiukasti käsi kädessä.
February 13, 2010
Worth seeing for any music fan. That's right, any. This is about one man's strange path through the world of popular music and what he made of it along the way.
February 3, 2010

At age 63, over the course of 2005, he went into the studio again, working on what could be his greatest artistic statement yet - and we were invited to document part of this process -- a privilege no filmmaker has ever been granted.
January 16, 2010
Excellent doc if you're a Scott Walker fan; very, very good even if he's not your cup of meat.
October 14, 2009
Cool doc about a visionary genius of a musician.
rubystevens
October 2, 2009
a fascinating look at the reclusive musician, who rose from boy band pop icon of the 60's to a truly avant garde artist. not as well known as he should be, especially in his native america (not that he cares), his influence can be heard from bowie to the the smiths to radiohead and beyond. his dramatic baritone voice, painting extraordinary images with abstract poetry, sounds like nobody else. i hadn't heard of him til fairly recently, my bad, but i certainly admire his courageous creative spirit and loyalty to his unique muse. and i'm acquiring a taste for his music too. he's still recording, every 10 years or so, most recently the drift in 2006.
½ September 19, 2009
What I know for sure if I would have enjoyed the movie a lot more had I known or likes Scott Walker and his music. Interesting documentary looking candidly into a man and his persistence to achieve his perfectionist and creativity. Personally, I cannot stand his voice so... couldn't stand listening much of his music which played through the movie.. SIGH...
½ September 1, 2009
One of the most interesting movies about music that I have ever seen. Even as a non-musical person, you can understand this on a level that is beyond words.
August 21, 2009
Scott Walker is and was one of the most important and amazing artists in pop history. From pop superstar, to goth crooner, to recluse, to reinvention, the documentary chronicles his life with interviews from the man himself and the people that he influenced. Love it.
July 17, 2009
Sting. That guy from Blur. That guy named Jarvis Cocker. Nice documentary about a cult figure who suffers from being slightly crazy. But no Nick Cave man? Come on.

Uh

The movie really demystifies his current recording process. Something I could have done without seeing. And yeah, it was nice that most of the film was full of his music, but the low budget laser imac effects were kind of annoying. I could have put a damn cd on. And they really should have delved more into Scott's psyche some more. That guy is a powder keg of nerves waiting to go off, but then again he probably wouldn't have agreed to be in it.

I love the idea that there's this guy who wears a baseball cap really low on his head, covering his eyes down to his nose, and the more comfortable he gets with you the more you see of his face, but then again I haven't been raped by Jarvis Cocker. Or face raped by him.
½ July 15, 2009
for at least an hour i found this totally confounding. didn't really like the voice or lyrics or the arc of the story at all, but couldn't dismiss it. and it got stranger and stranger and more and more interesting until i couldn't believe that i'd never even heard of him before. by the end i was amazed. this isn't a documentary about the arc of drug abuse or mental illness. its a kind of roadmap for serious, methodical genius creativity. i still don't think I can listen to the music on a regular basis, but i'm now fairly convinced that that is totally my fault.

all musicians and artists should watch this film as a matter of fundamental well-round-ed-ness.