Scott Pilgrim vs. the World - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Scott Pilgrim vs. the World Reviews

February 20, 2017
Hands down the best comic book / graphic novel movie I've ever seen. Smart, funny and witty with a brilliant cast. It also has one of the best soundtracks ever! Truly an underrated gem.
½ February 15, 2017
Video game+superhero+comic book+Edgar Wright, what do you get? A great and fun movie called SCOTT PILGRIM VS THE WORLD! This movie is creative, funny, and overall a well-done movie based on the great comic book!
February 12, 2017
Scott Pilgrim vs. the World is one of the most overlooked and awesome films ever made. The action sequences are so well done, and the filmmakers really got creative with them. Each fight between Scott and an ex is stylized to appear like a video game boss battle, complete with hit combos, 1-ups, K.O's, and sound effects. There's even a scene that's a take on Seinfeld, with the music, laugh track, and of course, the humor. It's the best comic book movie (in my opinion) of all time, and mixes the action and romance genres perfectly.
½ January 29, 2017
gamers united. love it.
January 28, 2017
Gets better every time and I always find something new to love, be it the great performances, the fantastic style, or the great writing!
January 28, 2017
By far, the best video game to movie adaptation yet. Hysterically charming yet subtly romantic, this movie balances its elements perfectly for near flawless bare knuckled fun.
½ January 24, 2017
Scott Pilgrim vs the World was funny, inventive, with great performanceses. The script was not bad, and the visuals were great. Good film.
January 24, 2017
WHAT'S SCOTT PILGRIM VS. THE WORLD ABOUT?
A geek must battle his girlfriend's exes for her heart. Literally battles them.

IS IT ANY GOOD? (GRADE: B)
Director Edgar Wright has directed and co-written two of my all-time favorite comedies, Shaun of the Dead and Hot Fuzz. The appeal of his work lies in both the originality of his direction (even the film editing is funny) and in the sharpness of his screenplays. His latest, Scott Pilgrim vs. the World, represents a step up for Wright as a director, but sadly, it's also a step down for him as a screenwriter. In terms of visuals and sound, Scott Pilgrim is one of the most creative films of the past decade, and I don't mean merely in a "Wow, that CGI looks cool!" kind of way. The film-making itself is endlessly inventive as Wright blends the styles of comic books, video games, and rock n'roll into a charming love letter to geek culture.

Michael Cera (Arrested Development, Juno) successfully stretches a bit beyond playing the affable, clueless nice guy role he's made a career out of. Those elements are still there, but so is an edge of selfishness and, ultimately, growth. What's more, he impresses with speed, flexibility, and coordination in the film's many fight scenes. He also really plays the guitar in the musical scenes, impressively shredding it up.

The plot, as it is, finds amateur guitarist Scott Pilgrim having to battle the "seven evil exes" of his new girlfriend, who is quite literally the girl of his dreams (played by Live Free or Die Hard's Mary Elizabeth Winstead). In the mix are a gay roommate, an Asian high-school girlfriend (one of the film's highlights), a movie star (Captain America's Chris Evans), a super-powered Vegan (Superman Returns' Brandon Routh), a trail of broken hearts, and a battle of the bands. It's fun stuff, but a film this intentionally silly needs two things to blossom: more laughs and a shorter running time. Scott Pilgrim clocks in at nearly two hours; it should be about 20 minutes shorter, and the pacing lags in spots.

What's more, while the film is quite funny, it is neither as clever nor as packed with humor as Wright's previous movies. Too many jokes fall flat, perhaps because too many revolve around Scott's roommate and his sex life. I have no problem with sympathetic portrayals of LGBT characters, but the character isn't well-rounded. His sexuality gradually becomes his only defining characteristic. Also, Scott's relationship with the female lead goes from zero-chemistry awkwardness to physical intimacy without any transition in between. I know the film wasn't striving for realism, but even by movie standards, that was a stretch. Though there is entertainment and ingenuity to be found in Scott Pilgrim vs the World, there are also some flaws and, depending on your tastes, potentially offensive content.
January 23, 2017
Surprisingly awesome! The film style takes a bit of getting used to, but once the film sets it's tone, it becomes very hilarious. It's a shame more people didn't see this in theatres, but I would certainly recommend this to anyone who has ever had a love for video games. It is just a really fun movie.
January 22, 2017
A hilarious movie with great visuals and amazing characters, a new comedy classic.
January 20, 2017
Opens far more brilliantly than it ends, unfortunately, but the technique and the music make up for almost everything else.
½ January 14, 2017
Impassive excitement.
½ January 13, 2017
Style and wit are flowing plentiful, especially visually. Feels fresh and original, and yet also like something's lacking. Still has a 'masterpiece' ring to it and so very, very much to appreciate; even as you get a bit used to the style, the directorial creativity doesn't cease to impress. Well worth a watch.
January 6, 2017
Hassua, en yhtään muistanut että olin jo nähnyt tämän leffan. Jossain kohtaa jotkut jutut alkoivat tuntumaan oudon tutuilta, mutta silti olin varma että olin nähnyt tästä vain pätkiä.

No anyways, hassu sekoitus elokuvaa, videopelejä ja sarjakuvaa. Hauska. Tykkäsin. Taistelukohtauksissa nukahdan aina, mutta ei haittaa. Tämä oli niin erikoinen ja eri tavalla tehty audiovisuaalinen iloittelu, että ansaitsee neljä tähteä, puoli enemmän kuin viimeksi.

Aiempi arvostelu:

Ihanan erilainen leffa, joka oli hauskasti tehty, täysin surrealistinen, sarjakuvamaisilla kirjoitetuilla äänitehosteilla täydennetty hulvattelu. Leffassa oli potentiaalia vaikka mihin, siksi ihmettelenkin, miksi se kuitenkin jätti vähän kylmäksi.Jotenkin en ihan päässyt tunnelmaan mukaan, vaikka kovasti olisin halunnut tykätä tästä leffasta enemmänkin.
December 27, 2016
As a gamer myself I found a lot of enjoyment in this movie.
Visually this movie is gaming heaven with its Street Fighter-like visuals (I love how the villains turn into quarters once they lose). The script is also very fast paced and funny. I enjoyed these characters and the villains were pretty cool, even though some of them felt a little rushed and/or forced.
The 7 Evil Ex's are kind of a mixed bag. Some of them are great like I love the Vegan one in particular. Some of them are either too ridiculous or, like I mentioned, rushed in their part. Regardless, I really want to read the graphic novel now. Because this was one visual treat.

7.5/10 Great
December 15, 2016
It may perhaps feel a bit toned down with the PG-13 rating as opposed to the R rating of director Edgar Wright's two previous films Shaun of the Dead and Hot Fuzz but Michael Cera shines in the role of the title character, the film has humorous moments, is visually dazzling and boasts some admittedly fun action sequences which are so nuts that they ought to be loved by even those who aren't familiar with the graphic novels making Scott Pilgrim vs. The World a truly entertaining film.
December 14, 2016
A very underrated movie. it pains me to have seen it do so poorley in the box office. the fight scenese are exciting and flashy, the angles and transitions or superb and the acting is near perfection and has great timing.
½ December 8, 2016
Very well-executed, great cast
November 24, 2016
I still remember this movie after 5 years!
November 21, 2016
Scott Pilgrim is such an original film that it definitely kept me hooked throughout however unfortunately the film definitely had its low points where I was a little bored and found the sometimes washed out colours and snowy atmosphere helped edge this along too. When the film is good, its fantastic and I found some of the scenes literally had me laughing out loud. The performances are amazing, particularly from Cera who I've yet to see a bad performance from and he has great chemistry with Mary Elizabeth-Winstead. Brie Larson and Kieran Culkin also give really funny performances and deliver some amazing one liners. The special effects are unique and quite cool to watch and the 8bit-ness of the action compliments the softer and quite literal in approach love scenes that are laced throughout.