Scott Pilgrim vs. the World - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Scott Pilgrim vs. the World Reviews

July 15, 2017
Edgar Wright is a meticulous artist that makes strong stylistic choices, particularly in the way that the elements on screen seem to be working directly in tandem with the scene transitions. It's pure creative joy, and it's a wonder to watch.
½ July 5, 2017
One of the truest comic to film adaptions in history. The visuals and effects stand out, but it's the wit that kept me coming back. The premise is different from almost anything else out there. Cera is at his very best here, with the cast of exes making for some fun surprises. A criminally overlooked flick.
July 2, 2017
Love Michael Cera. Brilliant movie. Soundtrack was great. Beck wrote and performed some of the soundtrack.
July 2, 2017
When I saw it I instantly understood why the internet loves it. It's start is a bit shaky but it definitely gets better. So sad this movie bombed at the box office. It is amazing. Even with the whole style over substance approach it goes for. It's simply awesome. The humor, characters, visuals. Everything is great in it.
June 29, 2017
Too many minutes!!! >:O
June 29, 2017
Perpetually exciting and impeccably assembled, "Scott Pilgrim Vs The World" is one of the most faithful comic book to movie adaptations out there, and it also stands alone as an excellent action/romantic comedy.

It's strange how consistently well-paced it manages to remain throughout, while also being THE fastest movie around. Edgar Wright's signature editing style is heavily prominent here, blending shots into scenes into chapters into acts into one single fluidly flowing product. Yet it still takes its time to develop relationships and guide us through the more personal moments of these characters' lives. This is the poster child of intricately editing films.

Speaking of the characters, everyone is perfectly cast. There's not a single actor out of place as their comic counterpart. Michael Cera does seem a bit more gawky as Scott Pilgrim than I read the character in the books, but didn't see that as an issue. If anything it made it more interesting to watch the character through all his stutters and awkward glances. And wholy moly, I have to mention how funny Jason Schwartzman is as Gideon. The character is a total jerk, but I loved it whenever he was on screen. There's something so innocent in his immoral behavior. Phenomenal job.

The humor in this film feels quite a lot more American than the humor in the Cornetto trilogy, meaning it revolves more around absurd situations than silly and witty dialogue, but I don't think that's a bad thing. It fits in more with the reference material, as well as the subject matter. It's tough to tell when the script ended and the editing started, in terms of the storytelling, but however it was done, I loved it.

The cinematography and stylized effects are great. No other movies look like this one. It's part video game and part comic book, and all uniquely atmospheric. The score and soundtrack also play a big part in creating the atmosphere. For a non-musical there's a lot of music, both as ambience and as sounds that characters are physically making. There's probably six or seven music performances, and all of them are accompanied by crazy visuals. Again, very unique.

I love all of Edgar Wright's work, but "Scott Pilgrim" is my favorite. I don't know if it's relatable or amusingly isolating or what, but there's something about it that I really connect with. I do wish it were a bit longer, so some of the left out material from the comics could be included, but I understand why cuts were made. And in a world with an abundance of comic book movies that hardly resemble comic books at all, I entirely appreciate that films like this exist.
June 28, 2017
I can't really tell if I'm banking on pure nostalgia and prejudice here, considering I've watched this movie religiously ever since my first viewing, but I think I'm able to say that this is an excellent piece of cult film. I don't know, there's too much to love about this movie: the soundtrack, cinematography, visuals; and that's not even getting into the story or the characters, or the pacing.

The film sets itself up to be a romantic comedy right from the start, and remains that way throughout the film, albeit transitioning into more of a comedy/action/romance film shortly after it opens, paralleling the graphic novels. It's an almost jarring change between genres, but considering how funny it is of a change, it adds to film's excellence, I guess, you know?

The film does its source material great justice, translating the characters to screen very nicely. The romance between the leads, Michael Cera and Mary Elizabeth Winstead, transcends it's paper-based counterpart, really adding to the films greatness.

Oh yeah, it's also like a video game.
June 28, 2017
This is a cult classic. It's fun, witty, and fast. What Edgar Wright was able to do in this movie with transitions and pacing will change the industry for years to come.
June 27, 2017
One of my favourite films of all time; a far better service to the video-game community than any other movie. Truly wonderful.
June 27, 2017
It's a very VISUAL movie, filled with CGI words and effects everywhere. It brings out the intentions of the comic series while changing a few things to make it into a movie-format. Plus, they actually read most of the lines from the comics themselves!
June 27, 2017
The first 20 or 30 minutes are not all that great, the transitions may get tiring but the moment the evil ex's get involved the movie turns for the better with awesome battles and smoother transitions and progression.
½ June 26, 2017
WHAT I LIKED: By this point the whole world knew how brilliant Edgar Wright was, but I think it's fairly safe to say we didn't know quite how brilliant he could be, as 'Scott Pilgrim vs the World' really was a new height for this awesome? filmmaker as he produced something far more personal, unique and quirky than even 'Shaun of the Dead.' Yes here we get a film that drips with mad personality; from the basis of its epic story, to its crazy editing and use of music, and the result is something that feels extremely independent, and just downright loveable.
It could of course be a worry though that with this level of madness, the film could potentially leave many disgusted or disengaged, but Wright not only counteracts that with his usual snappy whit and humility, but he also does so with genuinely human characters that you care about thanks to their foundations in more genuine human territories. In fact, the sheer manor in which you're so engaged is frankly breathtaking here when you consider what Wright is actually doing, and in the end this masterpiece ends up not only a brilliant comedy, but also an equally brilliant character drama with some great things to say.
WHAT I DIDN'T LIKE: It does loose some of its snappy intelligence towards the end as it descends into sheer madness, but at least you're unequivocally on board by then.
VERDICT: Wright's most human, quirky and down-right engaging movie proves that anything can be put to film if you do it right.
June 25, 2017
A great combination of good acting, memorable characters, and a funny script. This film manages to be unique while staying relatable and tells a story you'll never forget.
June 23, 2017
Really funny and clever.
June 11, 2017
I may have seen this movie but not in a freaking long time!5/5!
June 4, 2017
An absolute nerd wetsdream to watch. Aspects of comic books, Japanese Anime and adding over the top Hollywood antics made it brilliant. Little video game parts as well really added to the awesomeness. I like Winstead in this, actually showed a bit of depth rather than a ditsy cheerleader. Cera was really cool as well, def a role made for him.
½ May 28, 2017
A great visual experience.
Entertaining, funny and extravagant, "Scott Pilgrim" is the perfect adaptation of the graphic novel of the same name, with a cinematic difficult to overcome in this area.
½ May 22, 2017
Visually dazzling with some funny moments... I had never read the comics, but I did feel it started to drag in the last half and left off with a little poignant, apathetic sandwich
May 21, 2017
I was pretty much blown away by this. I was giggling like a school girl at some parts, amazed by the action in other parts, and yes, rather touched in others. Scott Pilgrim will be the #1 film I've seen this year, unless something else just totally blows me away, and that will be very very hard. There's all sorts of little things I love about this movie. A big thing was how wonderfully fresh the gay characters were. While some people may have an issue with some of the stereotypes here, I myself was laughing uproariously at the lines being brought down. All the action sequences were downright cool too, oh, and the soundrack, oh, and the video game geekness about it. Arrrgh, so so so much goodness here. I gave this 4 1/2 though, because it doesn't QUITE work at the end, (oddly enough, just when Jason Schwartzman comes along) one fight too many it seems. Other then that. perfection.

REWATCH NOTES: Even better in the second watch. Loved every bit of it. Even Jason Schwartzman.
May 6, 2017
Scott Pilgrim is notable for its edgar Wright-ian visuals, which always make for an interesting comedy viewing, but I think this film's script excels in its handling of teen/young adult dating.