Scott Pilgrim vs. the World - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Scott Pilgrim vs. the World Reviews

September 21, 2016
I can't describe how much I love this movie.
September 20, 2016
one of my favourite movies. the graphic novels were amazing if you have not read them I suggest you do. best part of move... "I'm in lesbian's with you"
September 19, 2016
"It's not what you say ... it's how you say it, dearie." Words I've dreaded my whole life, that style wins over substance, but here's a film that argues just that point and definitely brings it's "A" game to the court, and frankly I'm left speechless. And this after a slew of films based on vidgames here at last is a movie filmed as if it were a vidgame. Simply a work of art, it will not go gently into that dark night of forgotten culture and might well be the one that all of the actors in it will be remembered by.
September 18, 2016
One of my favorite movies
September 16, 2016
I thought it was going to be silly, and it kinda is, but not in a bad way.
September 10, 2016
Oh my God, what have I just watched, "Scott Pilgrim vs. the World" is one of the craziest, most insane and bizarre things I've seen on the screen throughout these last few years, and it's fantastic. The film's plot follows Scott Pilgrim (Michael Cera), a 22-year-old guitarist still recovering from his breakup with former girlfriend Natalie (Brie Larson), he, at a party, meets Ramona (Mary Elizabeth Winstead), a mysterious girl who's just moved to Toronto from NY. Once they meet, Scott realizes he will now have to defeat Ramona's seven evil exes, to only then, be able to date her.

Wow, where to begin, this film is just crazy, I can only imagine how the comic book from which this movie is based on must be like, the story must've been very hard to pass it on to the screen, but they did it and it could not look better. The filmmakers use several tools to rip the page off of the comic and put it onto the screen, those being it's great editing, fast passed history and overall great looks that differentiate this comic book movie from others. The best tho, are the movie's characters, they are all so different and likable, not only the heroes, but also the villains, without exaggerating on these characters and using editing, music, and pace to its favor, the film does a fantastic job, all of this while still managing to entertain its audience with a comic book film that's different from the usual thing seen in the Marvel or the DC films, exceptions like "Scott Pilgrim" are the 2010 feature "Kick-Ass" and more recently, in 2014, "Kingsman: The Secret Service".

The actors all do a great job, with a 2010 cast filled with today's stars, that includes minor appearances from the Oscar-winning actress Brie Larson and a fresh off "Up in the Air", Anna kendrick. Michael Cera leads the movie with his awkward shy charm along with "10 Cloverfield lane" star, Mary Elizabeth Winstead, in the role of the mysterious, sexy girl, Ramona. With great chemistry, the duo works around a giant cast full of different characters, standing among them, as Scott's 'cool gay friend' Wallace, is Kieran Culkin, the actor gets the funniest lines in the movie, and as a result becomes one of the best characters in the assamble.

I can honestly say I think "Scott Pilgrim vs. the World" might be the best comic book film I've ever seen, it has everything, cool, carismatic, well put together characters, a great, unconventional and weird plot that works perfectly with its well-edited, fast passed history, all with great music and many laughs all around it. "Scott Pilgrim vs. the World" is my favorite among em' all, it's a definitive must-see and a five-star. 5/5.
September 6, 2016
An accurate adaptation if the on par brilliant comic. Great performances, effects all helmed by one of the best film directors today, Edgar Wright. 100%
September 4, 2016
First off,the movie was a joy to watch.
It was funny,characters were interesting and unique,cool visuals etc.

The story is also very original!

I definitely want to read the comics now!
September 3, 2016
Wright does justice to the strange Manga/video game inspired graphic novel series. This is a fun flick. Is it a tad too long? Yeah ... seven evil exes is probably a couple too many for a film, but it never really lags in energy, so it works out.
September 2, 2016
took me awhile to really get into the story, but the story does have great story and CG and post production was amazing and innovative. Love to see more movies like this.
August 31, 2016
Hysterically funny, brilliantly written, and impeccably acted. An interesting representation of the comic book genre in the world of film. Not quite like anything I've seen before; clever and original.
½ August 30, 2016
Appropriately creative & original adaptation of a creative & original comic book miniseries.
½ August 27, 2016
Filled with witty gags and bolstering with dazzling sequences, Scott Pilgrim vs. the World upholds its material and game-themed elements. The film is a combo-busting good time that director Edgar Wright could only pen; outstanding cast, vibrant direction, colorful spectacle and a bunch of laughs along the way easily making this another Wright masterpiece. 4.5/5
½ August 21, 2016
Should've been a bigger hit. The way this movie is shot is A1.
August 19, 2016
The opening Universal music which is in classic game 2-bit is a good touch. Done is a gaming kind of style, movie is quirky and interesting. Michael Cera is kind of a serial dating dork in a small band with Alison Pill, Mark Webber & Johnny Simmons. He date a high school girl Ellen Wong who adore him very much. He live with a gay room mate Kieran Culkin and his sister Anna Kendrick always criticize him. Michael dream of Mary Elizabeth Winstead and saw her for real in a library. At the party of Aubrey Plaza, he finally see her but fail to get her attention. She forbid him from hitting on Mary. But he decide to woo her and can't find the chance to break up with Ellen. When she deliver a parcel to his home, he manage to date her. She invite him to her home and they make out after Michael accidentally saw her in bra. He invite her to his band battle competition. Ellen also came and it is awkward. While playing halfway, Satya Bhabha the 1st evil ex boyfriend of Mary came to fight him. Michael defeated him quite easily. Mary tell him if they were to continue dating, he has to defeat her 7 evil exes. Michael break up with Ellen. The 2nd ex is Chris Evans, a famous action actor. He self defeat when Michael dare him to skate down the hand rail. Brie Larson the last ex-girlfriend of Michael dump him after becoming famous rock star, invite his band to perform the opener. Mae Whitman the lesbian 3rd ex appears. Ellen dyed her half hair blue to match with Mary and gonna get Michael back. Brandon Routh the band bassist is the 4th ex of Mary, now dating Brie. He punch Ellen who adore Brie a lot when she talk too much. Her highlights literally came out. Michael fight Brandon and the latter proves too strong because he is a vegan. Michael trick him to drink a cup of coffee with milk and the vegan police came to take his powers away. At the after party, Mae appear. Mary fight her but the league stated Michael must fight with his own hands and Mary tell him where's her weak point and he defeated Mae. They split when Michael is feeling the pressure. Next he defeated the twins ex during music battle. Jason Schwartzman is the music producer the band hopes to sign with. He is also the powerful guy Mary can't steer away from. Jason offer the band contract and Michael refuse to cooperate and is out of the band. Mary also tell him they are breaking up to be with Jason. Jason invite Michael to the theatre opening but he want to fight. Ellen came and fight Mary for stealing Michael. Jason stab him dead when he is trying to stop the 2 girls fighting. Then he remember his 1 UP and return back to fight. Jason lose the first round but power up for the second. Ellen join in the fight and eventually win. Mary leaves and Ellen tell Michael he should go for her. The 2 get back together.
August 16, 2016
This movie is pure magic
½ August 4, 2016
Bold and inventive, Wright pulls off one of the most unique films of the 21st century.
August 2, 2016
Incredible visuals, a funny script, and just a fun story. Great all around addition to Edgar Wrights sterling film track record.
Grade: B+
½ August 2, 2016
Edgar Wright's tropes make Brian Lee O'Malley's early 20s comic book shine visually, perfectly recreating the first issue frame by frame, while each one thereafter at least finds some mention. However the entire film builds towards a different conclusion,the film lacks the emotional connection or plots of the source material to make Scott's reunion with Ramona feel earned. With the film's originally intended ending it's as good a recreation as we could have hoped, but in its current state, there's an unfortunate sense of missed potential.
½ July 27, 2016
+ More than meets the eye - but what meets the eye is rich. An hour, though, was about enough because the plotline was kind of silly. But some amazing directorial & camera work.