The Scout - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Scout Reviews

½ December 19, 2015
Underappreciated! This is a good sports comedy from the nineties. Albert Brooks and Brendan Fraser work well together. (First viewing - Teen years)
April 21, 2015
If you look at it as a nice little comedy you'd be lying to yourself and besides I hate the friggin Yankees.
½ July 27, 2014
After another scout bust, Al Percolo (Albert Brooks) has been sent to South America by the New York Yankees to find baseball talent. Somehow he miraculous comes across Steve Nebraska (Brendan Fraser) in Mexico who is the best player he has ever seen. Things are not as easy as it seems as it is clear that despite the undeniable baseball talent, Steve Nebraska is not all there mentally. The Scout has some decent moments, and Albert Brooks does his best, but this is a shallow comedy that just falls flat on comedic and emotional levels.
½ April 17, 2014
Starts off strong! The baseball scenes in Mexico are pretty darn funny! But, it quickly becomes unbelievable, and as a baseball fan, rather stupid. And the King Kong thing was completely overdone. Yeesh.
October 7, 2013
quisiera saver como puedo ver esta mierda de pelicula
July 10, 2013
Too unrealistic to be taken seriously.
April 26, 2013
Not bad, kind of amusing, but definitely ran out of steam along the way.
April 14, 2013
4/14/2013: Just ok. Not all that funny and they really didn't go into the psychological issues, so it wasn't funny or dramatic.
½ October 30, 2012
the only thing that made this watch-able was seeing old yankee stadium again
½ October 30, 2012
Generally speaking, I do not do well with watching movies at home. The computer draws me away from the tv, or in most cases, I simply turn a movie on at night, to have something to fall asleep to.

So you can imagine my surprise when I found myself still awake at 12:44am watching the credits roll. Simply put, I liked this movie. It is not a great movie, but it's a fun baseball fantasy.
½ October 7, 2012
Not really the comedy it promotes...it gets serious there for awhile. Still...Fraiser is great.
May 24, 2012
well, Fraser's character seems like a talented fun-loving ball player - until he has a breakdown in the 2nd half.
April 30, 2012
This was written by comic heavyweights Andrew Bergman ("The In-Laws", "The Freshman") and Albert Brooks ("Lost in America", "Defending Your Life"), but this film feels more Brooks than Bergman. Brooks is brilliantly hilarious as always as the title scout and Brendan Fraser is affable as his prospect. However, Fraser's broadly comedic character feels more out of a Farrelly Brothers film than a wryly witty Ablert Brooks film. Still, the film is enjoyable and a worth watching for Brooks fans.
November 17, 2011
Very interesting and entertaining until the final act when suddenly they seemed to phone it in.
May 26, 2011
Major disappointment from the usually brilliant Albert Brooks. Not funny and overly melodramatic. But mostly just boring.
April 18, 2011
Fun sports movie, and this is probably my favorite Albert Brooks movie, well, other than Finding Nemo that is.
½ March 6, 2011
This movie gets too bad of a rap. It's not great and Brendan Fraser's hair is ridiculous but it has its moments. (Come to think of it, Michael Rapaport's hair was heinous too - what's up with that?) Anyway, some great cameos and a solid cast simply couldn't carry a script that started off with potential and quickly nose-dived.
½ September 16, 2010
An underrated movie. It wasn't meant to be a realistic portrait of a possible true story, the movie is like a metaphor, it's a fantasy movie framed in a "real" ambient. Very entertaining, and really charming, specially because of Albert Brooks, Fraser and Wiest. A strong dramatic side, and a good ending. My rating isn't higher, because I think this movie could have been so much better and sadly it's been forgotten very quickly.
½ September 16, 2010
September 14, 2010
Not bad, kind of amusing, but definitely ran out of steam along the way.