The Scout - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Scout Reviews

½ September 10, 2010
Terrible baseball comedy. The plot of an amazing pitcher would have worked better if he wasn't given Superman-esque pitching power. Wasted story on an unused plot of using a team's scout.
August 22, 2010
Okay it's not realistic, but it is funny and charming.
July 14, 2010
Hmmm... obnoxious Albert Brooks (bad) versus young and sexy Brendan Fraser (good). Well, my mother watched it, so I guess Brendan Fraser looks pretty good.
½ June 5, 2010
If this was made in the 80's it would have been a HUGE hit! But alas it wasn't. It's not a bad movie just not a good one either
June 5, 2010
just ok sports flick
April 22, 2010
April 22, 2010
47/100. Not near as funny as it could have been, Albert Brooks has done a lot better. It's just not that funny, and it's very predictable. At times it is really stupid. Diane Wiest is the only person that is good in the cast. It's a pointless film that does nothing for the stars.
April 13, 2010
For a baseball movie that goes out of it's way to get a cast full of real MLB teams and personalities (Bret Saberhagen, Ozzie Smith, Keith Hernandez, George Steinbrenner, Bob Costas, Tim McCarver....), it was sure a far cry from realistic. Sure the entire plot of the movie is focused around a no-name ball player who can pitch 112mph fastballs and hit 600ft home runs, but the least they could do is put this dream player into a realistic situation. The pitcher batting during Game 1 of the World Series... in Yankee Stadium? Ok, forget the DH rule exists in an American League stadium, but then they have him batting first? If this kid is almost guaranteed to hit a homer at every at bat, wouldn't he bat at the heart of the order? Just one example. And normally I really like Brendan Fraser but he was just downright bad in this film. It's kind of sad when the best actor in the movie is The Boss (Steinbrenner, not Springsteen).
½ March 5, 2010
This was one of my favorite movies when i was younger.
½ February 7, 2010
I like baseball. I like Albert Brooks. I can tolerate Brendan Fraser. This is an unholy mess, an exercise in pointlessness. The plot is ephemeral and the jokes are WIZ-EAK.
½ January 19, 2010
A different take on sports movies. Albert Brooks is very enjoyable as the can't catch a break scout for the Yankees, even with George Costanza being a distraction as the assistant to the traveling manager. He finds Brendan Fraser who he calls King Kong, an undiscovered white guy in Mexico who throws 110mph & can hit a ball 500ft. It's totally unbelievable, but fun. That's only half the story though. The other half deals with Fraser's dark past & emotional problems, with Dianne West coming to the rescue. She's a great actress, but the whole psychiatric evaluation shit didn't fit the movie at all. And in the end, it's basically left wide open. Funny & enjoyable movie altogether that I've seen more than once. It was cool to see the World Series perfect game with Bob Costas announcing too. I thought it was kinda weird when Fraser had his tryout in Yankee stadium with 2 ex-Mets Bret Saberhagen & Keith Hernandez waiting to challenge him. This movie reminds me of Seinfeld a lot which is probably why I have a soft spot for it, even with Fraser one of my least favorite actors ever as the lead.
November 5, 2009
This is a decent comedy about a New York Yankees baseball scout who finds a great young pitcher. The film stars Albert Brooks as the scout and Brendan Fraser as the prospect. The film has a solid story and supporting cast. I enjoyed it. If your a baseball or sports movie fan then I would suggest checking this film out.
½ October 18, 2009
Something to watch if nothing else is on
½ October 10, 2009
It was a nice idea. But not put together well.

The sheer stupidity of a baseball player in Mexico (one of the most heavily scouted areas on the planet) being able to throw a 100 mile per hour fastball and hit a 600 foot long home run and NOT be discovered is stupid.

And I hate Brendan Fraser. I absolutley hate Brendan Fraser.

Albert Brooks is decent, because of his voice work in "Finding Nemo".

Also, cameo appearences of MLB players (Bret Saberhagen of the Royals, Keith Hernandez of the Mets and Ozzie Smith of the Cardinals) are cool.

Still a very poor movie.
June 11, 2009
This was an underrated little comedy that I actually almost forgot about until it popped up on this QuickRate list.
½ May 1, 2009
this wasnt as bad as it seems like it would be
April 16, 2009
Middle of the road movie, but it was really slow and nothing essentially happens. That said, the "heartfelt" part near the end redeemed it a star.
½ April 16, 2009
its was a little slow to start and kinda uneventful the ending was heartwarming but the very least schizophrenic
½ March 2, 2009
Another fine piece of baseball cinema, this movie was downright sidesplitting! There was a good mix of baseball jokes and just plain funny parts. Brooks and Fraser were great together while the rest of the cast was solid. Baseball fans WATCH!
½ February 21, 2009
I've seen this a few times. Its a pretty good movie!