Scream 3 - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Scream 3 Reviews

½ June 10, 2016
More humorous and a few missteps for the franchise, but still very entertaining.
May 11, 2016
It's a classic scenario, even better than the run of the mill 'the butler did it' type of film. It continues on the franchise, and answers a lot of questions people had about the first two movies. It is something I will see hundreds of times.
March 25, 2016
Writing wasn't very good, very very very cliche in a negative way. Changing writers had an impact and Scream 3 was a dud. Scream 1 and Scream 2 were excellent, Scream 3 was not.
½ March 4, 2016
This is my favorite film in the series
January 31, 2016
Ehren Kruger is one of those Hollywood writers that keeps writing scripts that are not good and still gets paid and work for it. The films that he wrote that are actually good are Arlington Road and The Ring, that's it. He either writes films that are inspiring, just have laughable lines, or ruined the whole movie, b and en I'd it was a bit of a minor part. So with him replacing Kevin Williamson as the writer for Scream 3 and actually discarded many of the original writer's notes, it's a really bad idea. But with that said, Scream 3 is a good third sequel that is a flawed conclusion to the series, or would've been. So for Ehren Kruger's script, it's actually not one of his worst, but it's not one of his beats. It's just mediocre writing that doesn't have the right amount of meta and the tongue-in-cheek from Kevin Williamson, although I'll give it credit to him that he didn't made it obvious about who the villain is and kept us guessing like the other films. The cast are still great as usual and try to make the lines sound a bit more tolerable, although some of the new cast were a bit odd and are just there to die. Some of the deaths are a bit silly, and doing the Dewey and Gale chemistry for a third time is very tedious as you would already know what's going to happen between them two. There are some nice ideas like how you find out about who's next to die, and the chase scene in Sidney's house movie set, but there's some that don't work like Sidney's flashback of her mom which was really not needed and was feeling more like a "movie" than the previous films, and some of the other stuff that are minor. The twists in it are actually pretty effective and is the closest thing to be like Kevin Williamson's script. There are some funny moments, and some moments that weren't so or is just unintentionally funny. One of h E funniest and best parts of the film, is Randy's cameo as it has some funny lines, some interesting rules for a concluding trilogy, and felt more of a satisfying farewell to the character than Scream 2 which is the only time that Scream 3 got right that the previous sequel didn't. The jumpscares are all over the place and they were becoming mor annoying then they were laughably done in the first movie. It still has the thrills like the previous films, and it still felt like a Scream film which I'm glad that Ehren Kruger at least knows what a Scream film is about. Scream 3 is a satisfying movie that I wished that it could've been more satisfying, until the much improved Scream 4 comes in and fixed this.
January 23, 2016
I'm a film lover and there are scenes in it that are compelling interesting and fun that I would think would satisfy critics more and then the second one I think this film is the second or the best of the series and left me laughing entertained and thinking at the end.
January 10, 2016
Just what you'd expect. Should be interesting to see what they do with part 4. For the record, bodycount: 10
½ December 31, 2015
Are you sure this is the same series
½ December 30, 2015
Laughably bad! Need I say more?
½ November 19, 2015
it was okay...granted i did watch it on AMC so it was edited...not as good as the first one...or even the 2nd one...but still good movie, the ending is crazy!
November 9, 2015
The only reason this movie gets even one star is because it is so bad that it's funny. It tries to take itself seriously, but the characters have such a resemblance to the Scooby Doo gang that there is no truly scary moment in this attempted "Horror" film.
November 1, 2015
While clearly being the perfect end to the trilogy, tying up all loose ends and adhering to all tropes of third movies, Scream 3 just doesn't work as well as it should have. It seems far too preoccupied with poking fun at itself, cramming its overly meta humour down the throat of the audience. With a plot centred around the making of 'Stab 3', the obvious and over-the-top jokes make for an overstuffed threequel that while tonally and story-wise completes the trilogy, just cannot live up to the original two.

It's really telling of the kind of movie that despite having watched it yesterday, I struggle to remember parts of it. Because, to be honest, it's just not that memorable.

Again, it's well-acted. The three staples of the franchise, Campbell, Arquette, and Cox have great chemistry together, clearly trying their hardest to make the best of a rather mediocre script. The major plot points are pandery, and the film makes a point of over-explaining exposition and trilogy tropes to the audience. For example, they have the sister of Jamie Kennedy's character bring Sidney a video tape on which Kennedy explains to the leads the rules of third movies. While it's great to see Kennedy back, and this scene actually works, from then on anytime one of the rules applies, they basically say, "Remember what Randy said, [insert rule here]." It gets tiresome.

The big reveal at the end is quite unwaranted and obvious also. Just no where near as clever as the previous films.

All in all, Scream 3 fails at being what it claims to be: a horror-comedy. It's just a comedy. With a serial killer. And a random explosion. There's not one intense moment in this film.

However, in it's quest to tie up all loose ends in plot and tone, it actually succeeds, perhaps too well. That's at least a positive about this movie.
November 1, 2015
While I don't think a trilogy was necessary for Scream, the film does a good job of breaking the mold of the series by not only "calling out" and playing up tropes of a trilogy, but by doing this to the filmmaking industry as a whole. And while it's not particularly memorable, it's still an enjoyable film for the most part.
½ November 1, 2015
I'd be lying if I said I entirely dislike this movie. There are some parts that really work. And I like how the other 2 were kinda sneakily stodgy mystery movies, and this one is pretty unabashed about it, literally putting them in a mansion at one point. This one is teetering between 2 1/2 and 3 for me, but I think I gotta leave it at 2 1/2.
October 27, 2015
It's really not that bad. Scream 3 has a surprising amount of humour and horror commentary that I didn't expect. Unfortunately the characters are weaker, the story isn't worth following and everything starts to taste stale.
October 16, 2015
Though it is slightly formulaic, Scream 3 still lives up to its predecessors with a talented all-star cast along with the original trio---Campbell, Arquette and Cox.
September 24, 2015
It lacks the clever satire elements of the previous two, but it closes the trilogy with a good slasher feel.
September 23, 2015
Gone is the iconic opening, self aware writing, and fun script from this new writer. From a story standpoint the inclusion of Cotton in the open makes sense but it's a shame that it doesn't influence the movie more. Dewey and Gale play catch-up for a full 30 minutes after Cotton's death so any forward momentum is halted, quickly establishing this as the weakest entry. The 'Friends' name drops have grown old but it's fun for a moment seeing Jay & Silent Bob amidst the cluttered cast. The movie takes the series to exactly the point that the first two parodied, attempting to ruin the cohesive story of the first two with a foolish plan and backstory. More disappointing is the real lack of Sidney for the first half, poor characterization, and shift in focus to Dewey and Gale; Sidney and Dewey are still the best characters. Aside from the memorable movie set attack and poetic final moment, the movie's bad, a shell of the innovation Craven introduced with the first two. How kind of the killer to punch Dewey so as to not stab him.
September 23, 2015
Scream 3 was the best in series along with the original
September 22, 2015
44%
Scream 3 is well-acted and there's some character development, but it's all weighed down by a sloppy script riddled with cheap scares.