Scrooged - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Scrooged Reviews

½ December 13, 2016
Good film. I enjoyed this, a bit cheesy but funny in parts. Bill Murray owns this movie though!
½ December 9, 2016
Fun but flawed Christmas comedy that works thanks to a great lead performance but suffers from a miscast director. Murray is at his leading man best, playing Frank Cross as a complete scumbag at first with a smidgen of a heart and is always fun to watch, whether mercilessly firing an employee on Christmas Eve (and thus avoiding paying is Christmas bonus) or reacting to the ghosts of past, present & future. He gets nice support from the rest of the cast, particularly Bobcat Goldthwait as the fired employee who slowly goes thru a nervous breakdown. Behind the camera, director Richard Donner keeps the story going but his style doesn't fit the story. The art direction comes off rough and a director like Tim Burton would have been better suited for the material. Overall, a fun Christmas movie, mainly for Bill Murray's superb performance.
December 7, 2016
I was really expecting a very funny movie w/Bill Murray. Something was definitely off with him in this production. Johanson the taxi driver was an exception to a dreay movie...Pass on this one!
December 6, 2016
Scrooged is not only funny and a good movie, but it really has the emotional depth that one wouldn't expect.
½ December 3, 2016
Fell asleep part way through. It was dull and painful to watch. The cynicism of Murray in Scrooged doesn't suite him, or the movie for that matter. There were a couple laughs, but it was mostly dry and fell flat.
½ November 6, 2016
Scrooged works both as an adaptation of a beloved Christmas story and social commentary.
October 13, 2016
For some weird reason, I was expecting more from this rewatch of this Bill Murray movie. A lot of sentimental pap, a little humor, but otherwise a below average retelling of the Charles Dickens classic.
½ August 19, 2016
Classic Bill Murray being Bill Murray
He takes on the Christmas Carol story
It's funny and a tad scary resembling a Tim Burton production
Predictable as hell but it's fun watching Bill try to absorb the Christmas spirit
A reminder that this holiday is the one time a year we can be the best we can be, everyone tries to have their own miracle, and giving is a treat of its own for anyone
½ August 19, 2016
Sleazy television host wants to boost ratings by producing a live version of A Christmas Carol starring his own production staff, making them work on the holiday. Once again, Murray who is better at playing likable characters, tries to go outside the box but ultimately he gives us a character so unlikable, the audience doesn't even care.
½ August 16, 2016
One of many "A Christmas Carol" spoofs, I wouldn't say it's "Christmas Vacation," but there's still plenty of laughs.
August 3, 2016
My all-time favorite Christmas movie. Everything you want in a holiday film.
July 25, 2016
as an 80's kid this is my Christmas Carol
½ July 22, 2016
A play on the Charles Dickens classic with Bill Murray as a mean-spirited television executive. Did not find it funny nor did it provide any type of Christmas spirit. Stick to James Stewart in "It's a Wonderful Life", so much better for holiday cheer.
July 13, 2016
Yeah, no. Too over the top and cheesy. Not horrible, but I didn't enjoy this one too much.
½ June 16, 2016
Scrooged is a cleverly sarcastic take on the classic A Christmas Carol with Bill Murray working typical magic, but something about the story feels a little off the wall and doesn't allow the viewers to really catch a break from what's happening - the story, albeit a retelling, is flawed in its own spin.
Frank Cross is a grouchy TV executive who will fire any of his employees on the spot and abuse his powers on Christmas Eve. While taping a Scrooge TV movie, Cross has a Dickens tale of his own, playing the role of Scrooge as he looks back at the mistakes he's made in his life.
Scrooged is mediocre. Like I said, its story tends to go off the wall, switching between the ghost sequences and reality with the snap of a finger and switching Murray's character from evil to suddenly nice to just insane so often that the film can't make its mind up on what mood it wants for its scenes - it's one giant mess of trying to make Murray's character gradually become nicer but only slowly advancing towards it. Speaking of which, Bill Murray is a comic genius and is one of the best comedy actors ever in my opinion. Obviously he shines here but not as brightly as he could have. In fact, a lot of the characters are disappointing and a little cliched. Some even come off as plain annoying - pretty much all of the ghost characters are overportrayed as cartoony, and you know you're in for a treat when Bobcat Goldthwait plays a supporting role as an honestly depressingly dark homicidal fired employee of Murray's. Murray's character isn't sarcastically lovable - he's legitimately dislikable. He has his humorous moments but the character comes off with a lot of negative energy that is so conflicted with trying to be uplifting. All issues with Scrooge derive from its mood - uplifting or humorously dark? Scrooged can either be labelled as a cult classic to some or, to me, one of Bill Murray's forgettable films.
June 3, 2016
Bill Murray was great in this.
½ April 24, 2016
Updated doing of the Dickens' classic has Bill Murray as ruthless tv executive. Big studio Christmas production that rings hollow and lacks any true 'spirit', with Murray often overacting. Murray's brother John appears as his brother in the film. Surely must have seemed like a good idea on paper but laughs are scant.
February 24, 2016
Bill Murray is great
January 28, 2016
This remake takes a slightly satirical approach on the classic tale, yet still manages to deliver like the original, albeit lacking slightly in depth. Still, with Bill Murray in the lead, this is my favorite "Night before Christmas" version to date.
½ January 5, 2016
A Christmas classic, never get bored of it!