Scrooged - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Scrooged Reviews

½ December 31, 2014
A whacky, hyper active retelling of A Christmas Carol that stands out from the pack by modernizing the story and pushing the envelope. The problem is that the envelope isn't pushed far enough. You get the sense Donner and co. are trying to squeeze an R-rated film into a PG-13 mold. Doesn't work like that, even if you do squeeze a 'pussy' by the censors.
Still, Murray is great and the production as a whole is well done. I don't know that it earns its 'Christmas classic' status. Christmas cult classic, maybe. I'd give it that.
½ December 28, 2014
It's certainly one of the best Christmas movies around. If you're up for movies in Christmas days, this one is definitely a must-watch and a classic one.
December 27, 2014
It might just look like another film adaptation of 'A Christmas Carol' but, like its title might suggest, Scrooged presents a unique twist on a classic tale with quite a lot of welcome additions and some dark twists thrown in, different in style to the original dark turns in the original story.

Bill Murray was the king of the 80s comedy and pretty much like everything else he has ever been in, it is always worth a watch and this is no exception. He gives a very good performance, his approach to his character and the way he reacts to what's going on is very funny to watch but it is not without the emotional moments and he does great in those too. The rest of the cast are great and the antics of Bobcat Goldthwait never fail to make me laugh.

Along with all the other creative things that are added to the story, the ghosts are very creative. I was looking forward to what the next one would be and how they would act, they were all interesting and very funny. The makeup was excellent and really effective on the ghosts, obviously so because it was up for an Oscar. If I had to find any complaint at all its that the final speech outstays its welcome by a few minutes, that's all.

I might not have written a lot, for a change, but I don't really know what else to add, which is always the way for things that I really, really love. It's a very enjoyable film and does everything right. Some could argue that it changes too much and isn't like the classic story but it really doesn't need to be because we already have enough adaptations and because of that, it gives it so much of its own identity and stands out amongst the crowd and therefore, shouldn't be skipped. I loved it and I think you will too!
December 26, 2014
Who doesn't love Bill Murray? Super cute!
December 26, 2014
BEST comedy and feel good Christmas movie ever!
December 26, 2014
Great modern telling of A Christmas Carol. Bill Murray is perfect as the crass, cold hearted TV executive who goes through the full Christmas Carol treatment. Very witty and funny satire that also ends up pulling on all the right heartstrings.
December 25, 2014
It's a fun film to watch Bill Murray in, and he gives his usual over the top performance. But it's very dark, and deeply angry in tone, so I've never found it elevated to the level of Christmas "classic".
December 25, 2014
This is the best christmas movie!

Bill Murray is brillaint (if you ignore the mullet!)!

It's part of our family tradition now, you know...
December 25, 2014
This is a brilliant twist on 'A Christmas Carol' and is regularly shown on British terrestrial TV on Christmas day by one of the major TV channels proving it's enduring popularity over here. Murray's cynical version of Scrooge is very fitting in this age of commercialism over sentiment.
December 24, 2014
It's Bill Murray, it's a unique spin on the holiday tale....

nuff said.
December 24, 2014
A Christmas movie worth watching every Christmas. Inspiring and great fun.
½ December 24, 2014
One of the best Christmas films ever
½ December 23, 2014
Scrooged was a unique take on the Christmas Carol story and while some parts worked, others were not so great. Bill Murray played a good Scrooge and created a character that you quickly learned to hate. The only problem was he got annoying quick and by the end when he was supposed to be changed, it was not believable at all. The "ghosts" were all fun and enjoyable to watch and the memories/future he was taken to were entertaining. Bill Murray just did not impress me overall and it took away from the film and the story being told. It has it laughs but this is one Christmas Carol adaptation that could be skipped over.
December 23, 2014
Extra half star for Karen Allen's eyes
½ December 23, 2014
I saw this film in the theater when it came out, and I remember hating it. I watched it years later, and thought it was funnier than I had remembered.

Then I watched it a third time, and was startled that I had thought it was funny the second time. It's not. I'd give this a proper review, but that would require watching the film again. I'm done. The laughs are forced, the emotions are forced, there's so much forced in this film and it's not even a Star Wars movie. This isn't the Christmas movie you're looking for. Humbug.
December 22, 2014
In another Richard Donner classic, we get to see standard Bill Murray comedy set against the backdrop of one of the most enduring holiday tales ever, Charles Dickens' "A Christmas Carol." One of the best holiday comedies ever made.
½ December 21, 2014
Never dark or funny enough to fully support its purpose, but Bill Murray's charismatic performance is enough to provide 100 mins of offbeat yuletide entertainment.
½ December 20, 2014
This film thoroughly impressed me. It managed to take the timeless Charles Dickens story that has been told again and again and make it feel new while being pretty funny at the same time. It doesn't feel rehashed or cliched (like Disney's version), which really works in the films' favor. Bill Murray is at his comedic best here, playing a hilarious asshole character perfectly. He was the comedic driving force behind this movie. If I was laughing, it was because of something Bill Murray said. The film has the wonderful themes of the book and when you combine that will the humor, you've got yourself a pretty great Christmas movie. Definitely watch this over Home Alone or A Christmas Story this holiday season.
December 19, 2014
Wow.... this was trippy
½ December 18, 2014
I enjoyed it a newer take on a classic story