Scrooged - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Scrooged Reviews

August 3, 2016
My all-time favorite Christmas movie. Everything you want in a holiday film.
July 25, 2016
as an 80's kid this is my Christmas Carol
½ July 22, 2016
A play on the Charles Dickens classic with Bill Murray as a mean-spirited television executive. Did not find it funny nor did it provide any type of Christmas spirit. Stick to James Stewart in "It's a Wonderful Life", so much better for holiday cheer.
July 13, 2016
Yeah, no. Too over the top and cheesy. Not horrible, but I didn't enjoy this one too much.
½ June 16, 2016
Scrooged is a cleverly sarcastic take on the classic A Christmas Carol with Bill Murray working typical magic, but something about the story feels a little off the wall and doesn't allow the viewers to really catch a break from what's happening - the story, albeit a retelling, is flawed in its own spin.
Frank Cross is a grouchy TV executive who will fire any of his employees on the spot and abuse his powers on Christmas Eve. While taping a Scrooge TV movie, Cross has a Dickens tale of his own, playing the role of Scrooge as he looks back at the mistakes he's made in his life.
Scrooged is mediocre. Like I said, its story tends to go off the wall, switching between the ghost sequences and reality with the snap of a finger and switching Murray's character from evil to suddenly nice to just insane so often that the film can't make its mind up on what mood it wants for its scenes - it's one giant mess of trying to make Murray's character gradually become nicer but only slowly advancing towards it. Speaking of which, Bill Murray is a comic genius and is one of the best comedy actors ever in my opinion. Obviously he shines here but not as brightly as he could have. In fact, a lot of the characters are disappointing and a little cliched. Some even come off as plain annoying - pretty much all of the ghost characters are overportrayed as cartoony, and you know you're in for a treat when Bobcat Goldthwait plays a supporting role as an honestly depressingly dark homicidal fired employee of Murray's. Murray's character isn't sarcastically lovable - he's legitimately dislikable. He has his humorous moments but the character comes off with a lot of negative energy that is so conflicted with trying to be uplifting. All issues with Scrooge derive from its mood - uplifting or humorously dark? Scrooged can either be labelled as a cult classic to some or, to me, one of Bill Murray's forgettable films.
June 3, 2016
Bill Murray was great in this.
½ April 24, 2016
Updated doing of the Dickens' classic has Bill Murray as ruthless tv executive. Big studio Christmas production that rings hollow and lacks any true 'spirit', with Murray often overacting. Murray's brother John appears as his brother in the film. Surely must have seemed like a good idea on paper but laughs are scant.
February 24, 2016
Bill Murray is great
January 28, 2016
This remake takes a slightly satirical approach on the classic tale, yet still manages to deliver like the original, albeit lacking slightly in depth. Still, with Bill Murray in the lead, this is my favorite "Night before Christmas" version to date.
½ January 5, 2016
A Christmas classic, never get bored of it!
½ January 4, 2016
Murray plays Frank Cross, a ruthless TV executive confronted with the slapstick ghosts of Christmas past, present and future. Will a night of zonked-out horror convince the heartless Frank to change his ways?
December 29, 2015
I didn't mind it. However I found the ghost of Christmas present irritating and annoying. Also the story line may seem simple but it's kind of confusing when you watch it. I mean you understand the jist of it but it's still kind of confusing.
December 27, 2015
Struggled through this
½ December 26, 2015
It was okay. I'm not a huge fan of Bill Murray's comedy, but this movie provided enough of a modern take on a classic story that it kept me decently interested.
December 25, 2015
*just pointing out that I have seen this before, but it's been a long, long, long time and I haven't properly reviewed this until now* Bill Murray at his finest here, (and he's pretty damn ruthless at times too) I can empathize with him a bit on the whole not being a fan of Christmas. It's amazing how adult this movie is, seeing as I was about 9 or 10 years old when I watched this the first time around.
December 24, 2015
Better than average Christmas movie - a retelling of a classic, and very much in the 80's yet not totally dated. Some of the special effects are still pretty convincing, and each of the ghosts has a unique personality that matches their intended shade of nostalgia. Bill Murray is good and shares chemistry with each of the actors he shares time with. The score is also well done.
December 23, 2015
Great! A must see at Christmas!
December 23, 2015
Very much a film of two halves. The first 45 minutes is laugh-out-loud hilarious as we watch Bill Murray's appalling TV executive bully, cajole and intimidate various underlings like a stoner Donald Trump. But it all falls apart from then on, becoming increasingly ramshackle and shrill and culminating in a horribly misjudged finale. A shame.
December 22, 2015
This is probably my favorite rendition of the oft-repeated Charles Dickens tale.

Grade: A