The Sea Inside (Mar Adentro) (The Sea Within) - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Sea Inside (Mar Adentro) (The Sea Within) Reviews

October 19, 2016
Easily in the top 5 of my favorite movies. Mar Adentro snatches the silver medal of movie Olympics. Bardem´s perfomance is terrific , he so naturally gives an astonishing performance in this elegantly directed drama based on real events. Amenabar through his skilfull way of directing pushes through the emotional potential of the situation. The actors speeches very much portray dignity as a primal emotion! Yes this movie definitely deserves the "5" star rating from me. If I could speak with Ramon I'd say " Yes my friend , I support your decision."
April 3, 2016
Very-very-very sad movie!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :(
½ November 9, 2015
Buen cine, está claro, pero no me parece ni agradable de ver, ni ofrece confort sobre los dilemas propuestos.
½ October 5, 2015
Thoughtful and inspiring drama that touches some interesting as well as "hot" topics with undisputed class.
July 27, 2015
A well-put together movie retelling the story of a quadriplegic who tried to convince the Spanish courts that he be allowed to have help in suicide. The supporting cast is just great.
June 2, 2015
Powerful, thought-provoking movie about life, death and the right to die.

The true story of Ramon Sampedro, a Spanish quadriplegic for 29 years who fought for the right to kill himself. Explores his and motivations and rationality for wanting to commit suicide, plus life, loves and psyche.

Told from Sampedro's perspective, so not entirely a balanced debate. However, there are some characters in the movie who represent the "don't do it" argument, though their arguments aren't as forcefully told or as coherent as the lead character's.

Very emotional at times, and the last few scenes are incredibly powerful.

Superb performance by Javier Bardem in the lead role. Supporting cast don't put a foot wrong either.

Won the best Foreign Language Film Oscar in 2005. Interesting to note that in 2005 the Best Picture Oscar (plus a few other Oscars) went to the brilliant "Million Dollar Baby", which explored similar themes.
½ April 2, 2015
<3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 Bardeeeeeeeeeem
March 15, 2015
A beautiful exploration of death and dying through suicide that focuses on the political aspect but carries familial, memory, and personal ramifications. Bardem is brilliant.
January 31, 2015
Javier Badem performed beautifully. His portrayal of Mr. Sampedro was impeccable.
January 23, 2015
The topic of euthanasia (assisted suicide), is a touchy subject. Many have argued and are still debating to this day if it is "morally sound'', or if it should be legalized. This film is about this topic, and I must say, for such heavy subject matter, this film still managed to move me, even if I am conflicted on the topic. Whatever your opinion is, whether it's right or wrong, is your opinion. I am not here to discuss this topic, I am here to review this film. "The Sea Inside'' is directed by Alejandro Amenaˇbar and is based on the true story of  Ramon Sampedro, who was a left quadriplegic, and wished to end his life. It stars Javier Bardem, Belan Rueda, Lola Dueas, Mabel Rivera, Celso Bugallo, Clara Segura, Joan Dalmau, Alberto Jimanez, and Tamar Novas.

Ramon Sampedro (Bardem), was a young man when he had his terrible accident. It left almost his entire body paralyzed, and he remained bedridden for twenty-eight years. He sought to end his own life, but for years and years the law would not allow it. Eventually, a lawyer named Julia (Rueda), is assigned his case, to which she accepts for free. The two quickly form a deep friendship, and they begin to develop feelings for each other. Ramon realizes that most people disapprove of his wishes. Even some of his own family members and close friends do not understand him. In particular, Rosa (Dueas). She and Ramon grow to be close friends, and she begins to fall in love with him, and seeks to help him believe what she does; that life is worth living.

This film features several familiar Spanish actors and actresses, and all of them do a fantastic job in their roles. Javier Bardem is one of the best actors in the business, despite the fact that he has only been in a couple of American films (No Country For Old Men, Skyfall). He's been in multiple foreign films, and this one features what may very well be his best performance next to Anton Chigurh. He was completely trans-formative in this movie. I couldn't believe it was him at first. He is a very talented actor with a large range. He was so convincing and so impressive in this film. The rest of the cast, while no where near as impressive, should not be overlooked. Everyone did a solid job in their roles, even though Bardem steals the show in every scene he is in.

The score by Alejandro Amenˇbar is beautiful, and the cinematography by Javier Aguirresarobe is well handled. The only flaw I could think of is that the film is just a little too long. It's clocks in at about two hours and five minutes. There are times, fleeting times, where it drags on. Aside from that, this is a very beautifully moving film that I thought was really impressive. Many people won't like it due to it's controversial nature. However, I recommend that if you watch it, watch it with an open mind. You don't necessarily have to agree with the message of a film to enjoy it. If you want to have a discussion in the comments about this topic, feel free to do so. The film is on Netflix, so you can watch it there, then come back to talk about it if you wish.

"The Sea Inside'' is an extremely impressive foreign film with a powerful performance from Javier Bardem. It's a film not many will agree with, but it is still a wonderful movie. The acting is great, the story is powerful, it's well written, it has great direction, and it's very thought provoking.
September 25, 2014
Great performances and script. Pretty sad and intense movie about human rights/suicide.
½ August 14, 2014
Euthanasia minus sugarcoating and over-the-topness that is usually associated with subjects as heavy as this. Alejandro Amenábar does a wonderful job with the script, while Javier Bardem breathes life into it with unparalleled authenticity and realness, thus bringing this movie to another level. Mar Adentro is a teacher who doesn't want to impose too much on its students, but at the same time doesn't neglect to point out that desperate decisions are rooted in human's misery and suffering, rather than being made on a whim.
August 4, 2014
With a great performance from Javier Bardem and an interesting true story, The Sea Inside is an excellent biopic, even if it's a tad too long
½ April 17, 2014
Me encanto esta pelicula por lo mucho que me hizo reflexionar sobre las personas que no cuentan con todas sus facultades fisicas y lo duro que debe ser el tener que depender de otras personas para todo, tambien me impresiona mucho la capacidad de ramon de vivir fuera de su cuerpo a traves de su mente.
April 10, 2014
Fantastic. As a medical professional, I'd say this is an accurate depiction& a must see film.
½ February 1, 2014
Javier Bardem is Ramon Sampedro, a quadriplegic who after 28 years of "hell," is desperately seeking the aid of friends, strangers and the court to help end his life. A group called Dying with Dignity enters and begins the tasking job of starting a petition for Ramon, which once passed, would inevitably give Ramon an assisted death. But all is not so simple, and his journey towards ultimate liberation seems to be far out of reach. His voice and story reach far and wide, and through mutual pain and loss, Ramon befriends a trio of women who all in their own ways, love him unconditionally. Who loves him deepest is left to be seen."The Sea Inside" is an important and well made film about one's desire for death amidst so much love. Some don't understand his feelings, while others do; and then there are those who only wish for Ramon to be happy and burden free. Though the film's central notions are secularized around Ramon's viewpoint of "dying with dignity," Alejandro Amenabar does a great job of instilling the viewer with each of these thoughts and then letting you decide for yourself. The actors all did a great job, especially Bardem and Lola Duenas as Rosa. There were very vivid daydream sequences that I must admit felt and looked the same way it does when you fly in a dream. The film isn't perfect however, and there were a couple lines(strong ones at that) that should have been placed separately in the film; a scene with a chasing boy didn't work as well as it should have, mainly because it was bound to happen. All in all, "The Sea Inside" was an honest and daring depiction of a man's quest for death.
December 31, 2013
Beautiful & tough film to watch but definitely interesting for the unusual subject it deals with.
December 28, 2013
Supremely well acted, thoughtful and an emotional insight into the mind of a man who wishes to die.
December 25, 2013
The true story of Ramon Sampedro, a quadriplegic from Galicia in Spain, who spent around a quarter of a century confined to his bed and desperately seeking a death with dignity. There is a lot of genuine humanity in the story itself that comes across as a potent drama that nevertheless deals with a delicate and current issue in the most tasteful and touching of ways. The Sea Inside is directed well by Amenábar but also works because of Bardem's powerful performance in the lead role that the film has a great emotional impact.
December 10, 2013
It is a well balanced and strong hearted experience filled with terrific acting