The Sea Inside (Mar Adentro) (The Sea Within) - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Sea Inside (Mar Adentro) (The Sea Within) Reviews

March 2, 2013
"Mar Adentro", beautiful movie filmed in north of Spain in Galicia (I can relate). I vote 5+ stars & recommend this film based on a true story.
½ February 28, 2013
Le Scaphandre et le Papillon meets How to Die in Oregon's "Die With Dignity" program, although he does not meet the program and that's what the is movie about.
½ February 18, 2013
Very well-handled movie here and it needed to be- I would have thought it'd be near impossible to tell this story accurately without resorting, at least a little to some kind of preachy overall point. I support euthanasia but that shouldn't make this film and it doesn't- the choice is the viewer's to make and the film allows that to be the case while still portraying Sampedro's life with sublime skill. Very much at the top of my list of biopics that I'd recommend.
½ February 12, 2013
Fantastisk samfunnskildring omkring temaet doed og verdighet. Vakkert filmet.l
February 10, 2013
Fantastic performance from Bardem and overall just a fine film...I defy anyone not to be moved by this film...
February 6, 2013
Further proof that Javier Bardem is a godlike genius actor - great film about a touchy subject.
January 30, 2013
Poderoso filme de la mano del director Alejandro Amenábar, que no solo dirige, sino que es el guionista y hasta compone la música instrumental. El filme cuenta con la dupla imbatible de Javier Bardem y Belén Rueda, pero a su vez cuenta con los aportes de Lola Dueñas y Clara Segura que se ponen a la altura de los dos estelares, conformando una solida actuación en la cinta. Una película que toca un tema polémico, de forma acertada, ya que lo enfoca en todos los marcos posibles, legal, religioso, social, familiar, dejando abierto para que cada expectador se formule su propia perspectiva, o sea la trama no te impone un punto de vista particular, todos los argumentos son expuestos y la audiencia es libre de pensar lo que desee. El guión es adaptado de la verdadera historia de Ramón Sampedro, que anteriormente había sido pobremente narrada en una película para televisión, pero que afortunadamente, Amenábar tomó y así creo una producción superior, que se ha convertido en una de las más recientes películas que entran a la lista de las cintas relevantes de la filmografía de España. Altamente recomendada.
January 1, 2013
Five stars for the movie of your life. Imagine that Bardem's accident happened to you..what you you do? A movie that brings with its ending new thoughts about that gift we call 'life'.
December 30, 2012
Bardem is spectacular. A represenatation of one peron's fight for euthanasia.
December 30, 2012
Written, produced and directed by Alejandro Amenábar (Open Your Eyes (1997) and The Others (2001)), this is a moving drama which is cut from similar cloth to My Left Foot (1989) and The Diving Bell and the Butterfly (2007), it could have been a depressing and tragic film, but there's something uplifting about it, and it has a mystical and tender quality about it, with a brilliant lead performance as well. The Sea Inside tells the true story of Ramón Sampedro (Javiet Bardem), a Galician ship mechanic who suffered a near-fatal diving accident in 1968, which left him quadriplegic. For the next 29 years, he would lead a campaign against the Spanish government for the right to end his life. But the film also tells the story of his relationship with two women, Julia (Belén Rueda), a lawyer suffering from Cadasil syndrome who helps Ramón with his legal campaign, and Rosa (Lola Dueñas), who tries to convince Ramón that life is worth living, but Ramón teaches those who meet him the qualities of life. It's a touching and moving film, one that doesn't give way to cloying sentimentality, it has moments of fantasy in Ramón's dreams, it has some brilliant cinematography and Bardem is brilliant as Ramón.
December 27, 2012
Im not interested in the storyline.
½ December 23, 2012
The film and the actors perfectly bring to light this true story and the emotional dark subject matter of death, frailty, and the dignity of choice. The family who cares for Ramon are courageous and beautiful.
December 7, 2012
Would like to see at some stage. Javier Bardem makes this A MUST!
December 3, 2012
That was Good, I thought. It was one of a kind.
November 24, 2012
Javier Bardem, excellent comme toujours. Sujet intéressant mais mal exploité; trop d'intrigues secondaires et un peu trop mélodramatique dans son ensemble.
November 20, 2012
Heart-wrenching to watch.
November 13, 2012
viewed on 29/11/04 (Mon)

Javier Bardem's performance has to be the Charlize Theron performance of the year. Ok, I said the same for Jamie Foxx in RAY but Javier can top that transformation.

First we see he is almost bald of old age and I was shocked to see him age so much within just a few years. Then we see Javier with a mane of dark hair in a flashback. Wait so he is not bald really. Then it must be very very top-notch makeup! And that paralysed body? It looks so real so it cannot be the work of makeup or SFX. Well even if all these are prostheses, we cannot and must not deny Javier is an exceptional good actor. Mind you, he played the gay Cuban poet and novelist Reinaldo Arenas in BEFORE NIGHT FALLS and earn an Oscar nom. A feat for a foreign actor and why did that Roberto win for LIFE IS BEAUTIFUL? Javier deserves his second nomination next year.

The movie is directed by Alejandro Amenabar whose previous movies are THE OTHERS and OPEN YOUR EYES. Here, his latest outing has none of the spookiness and head-turning twists. It has a very sensitively written script about euthanasia. It explored very deep into a man named Ramon who fights for his right to end his life after being paralysed, and bedridden for 28 years, resulted from a freak accident. His family members all want him to live despite the huge burden he has imposed on them. There are also three other women - a lawyer, a single mother and a nurse - whose lives he has affected greatly. The movie is about all of them, how they cope with a man who wants to die so bad that he begs anyone in sight to kill him, how they feel pity for a man with so much humour, wit and intelligence and above all how to make him feel happy for himself.

I am afraid I may not appreciate the movie fully because it is profound to me and I think there is more to it which I cannot comprehend. I feel inadequate to judge this movie. Somehow I think I need to experience more in life to understand the complex emotions of Ramon. And to think that Alejandro Amenabar is just one year older than me.

Rating: B+
½ November 6, 2012
Watched due to a developing fascination with Javier Bardem. My mum said he looks too nice to be a James Bond villain, but she hasn't seen No Country for Old Men. Best part of this for me was when he dreamed of climbing out of bed and flying out of the window. Made the hairs on my arm stand on end
October 22, 2012
What a very moving film, emotional, contentious subject as euthanasia and dying with dignity. Javier Bardem is such a wonderful and convincing actor (he deserved Best Actor at Venice Film Festival), his portrayal of Ramon Sampedro a real person was astounding. I loved the flying journey to the sea with his imagination as it was part of him.
There is a scene near the end of the film where he leaves his family. This scene is so incredibly acted with family characters, I am so glad I was not sitting in a cinema as it would have been embarrassing as I really cried. Mabel Rivera, Carla Segura &Belen Rueda are great actresses. Great performance from an ensemble of actors. Beautifully directed by Alejandro and so sensitively written by him with Mateo. I am so glad to saw this movie and would suggest it to everyone to see it.
October 20, 2012
"Fear is a very powerful weapon. Fear doesn't give you freedom to decide."- Mar Adentro