Searching for Bobby Fischer - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Searching for Bobby Fischer Reviews

August 14, 2017
As a Chess Player Search For Bobby Fischer is a great showcase of a kid that really knows how to play Chess. Kudo's to this Movie I give it a *5* star Rating!!!!!
½ June 8, 2017
Family drama about a child chess prodigy. Well told with 3 different story lines. One is about his relationship with his father. Another is about his friends in the park. And finally the 3rd is about his teacher and how he has to decide if he has the killer instinct of not. One of my favorite movies.
½ May 5, 2017
I was never all that good at chess. I understand the rules, but devising strategies and planning 8+ moves in advance was a struggle for me. However, I?ve always been enchanted by those who do have the skill to play well. In the case of Searching for Bobby Fischer it is made even more fascinating because of the young age of Josh. It might be easy for people to think a movie like this could get boring but it is like a classic sports movie in the way it shows the young boy discovering his talent, training with a master, and then battling for victory. It is one that I loved growing up, and I find it still holds up quite well today.

Each act of this movie has multiple scenes that are unforgettable for me. I adore the discovery phase as Josh learns the game and then beats his father. Then I love the scenes of training that sharpen his skill and seem impossible to someone who doesn?t have a mind for the game. And finally there are some perfect moments in the climax that warm my heart so much I can?t get enough of it. True, there are some moments where Searching for Bobby Fischer takes its time and the pace slows down, but I still feel the intensity and the emotion of the characters even in the slower parts. The characters are so well-established that I find myself fully invested in their journey.

There are at least 3 characters who experience an arc through the course of this film, and they all grow together. I find that kind of story-telling remarkably compelling, and I wish more films had that kind of narrative depth to them. It doesn?t hurt that the leads in this movie are so amazing. Joe Mantegna, Ben Kingsley, Joan Allen, and Laurence Fishburne are all amazing and have some strong scenes with one another. The supporting cast is overloaded with familiar faces as well, including William H. Macy, Laura Linney, Tony Shalhoub, and more. But the movie wouldn?t even work without Max Pomeranc, who is superb as a kid who seems normal most of the time but becomes something more when crouched in front of a chessboard.

The shots were all executed well. I thought they did a superb job of showing us what is going on during the games and helping us to see when something went right or wrong. I feel like even a person who knows nothing about chess could comprehend what is happening in all the important moments of these games. The tone of each moment is also apparent because of all the work James Horner put into devising a superb score. Admittedly, he borrows from himself a little because the theme is reminiscent of some of this other works, but it hardly matters because the music is doing its job. Searching for Bobby Fischer is one of those movies that I could watch immediately after I finish and enjoy it all over again.
March 6, 2017
Very good movie about a lot of things. Yes, chess, learning kids need to be kids, parenting, mentoring, and so on. While this isn't my favorite movie in the whole world, this does take a multilayered approach to it's subject, which is commendable. It may be a bit too preachy and long in the tooth for some, but it's interesting just the same.
February 22, 2017
A solid film featuring a surprisingly realistic performance from Pomeranc who is able to hold his own with such greats as Kingsley and Fishburne. A wonderful cast performs at top-notch and the story, while not entirely true to the real-life story, holds true to many of the themes expressed in Fred Waitzkin's book of the same name. This film holds nicely to the line between sentimentality and realism while providing a very inspirational story for people of all ages. In fact, this is the movie that made me want to be a chess player.
August 21, 2016
Okay this movie was good. Based off a good story, showing that Bobby Fisher is not so big. This was a motivational movie.
½ April 28, 2016
"Searching for Bobby Fischer" is a rather dull family film based on real events. Those real events just didn't captivate me as it did others.
April 18, 2016
Always been a sucker for feel-good, sports/competition related movies, but this one absolutely goes above and beyond. If you haven't heard of it, check it out!
½ April 5, 2016
All the love and respect for the protagonist and his family went down the drain when they insulted the chess teacher.
January 31, 2016
I dare say there has never been a better film on the issues of competition and decency and family love ever made. Ever. And, on top of it all, it made chess exciting. If this small film has remained under your radar, fix that immediately.
½ December 29, 2015
Pretty nice - chess is a perfect game
November 8, 2015
brilliant true story about a prodigy child,
enhanced with the performance of a Ben Kingsly talent.
October 19, 2015
Very good and entertaining!
October 18, 2015
A great film with great performances with an excellent soundtrack
October 17, 2015
definition of a feelgood movie.... It's fun seeing Fishburn so young too
October 8, 2015
Great story! Well put together cast also.
½ September 25, 2015
the search for the next Bobby Fischer comes unexpectedly when Josh Waitzkin shows his unique ability at playing chess at such a young age
his father sees that he is way more talented than he has ever been and has a chance to have his son excel with this gift
Max Pomeranc is perfect as Josh being such a game master but also struggling to still keep his father's love and appreciation
he has such a vulnerability that he doesn't want to break in fear of being looked at too differently
Ben Kingsley teaches Josh that you always have to offer your opponent a way out of the conflict and that you have to consider losing an option because it does happen
even being a child prodigy has its setbacks and they make it distinctively clear that even Bobby Fischer, the most successful chess player in the world faced a few of his own dealing with the world's expectations
watching the intensity of the game play out is suspenseful because Josh has a lot to live up to knowing too well that someone might take his place and upset a few others
it's only a game but chess here is filmed in a grown-up, riveting manner
August 31, 2015
one of my favorite movies. Ever.
July 25, 2015
When playing your own natural personal best is no longer good enough then its time to hang it up & try something else. Being a good sport is always the more prized value than becoming the champion terrified by losing.
½ July 20, 2015
Not completely accurate (read...Pandolfini's character, Josh's infallible altruism, etc.) but it is probably the best chess movie ever made. It's well directed, convincingly acted, and it has a lot of heart.