Searching for Debra Winger - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Searching for Debra Winger Reviews

May 20, 2012
I love what the film was trying to accomplish about gender and gender equality. But hey you over 40 or even over 25 year old actress might want to consider doing is to actually try making your own roles. These are all successful women in their own right and I can't see how they couldn't get films made that showcased woman of any age as being more than mother's, other woman, or hero's girlfriends. But back to this film, seriously, I still trying to find Debra Winger, even after she comes on to the screen.
November 30, 2009
Only the teensiest bit self-indulgent and airy fairy but still a pretty powerful look at how women are perceived in society as seen through the eyes of aging Hollywood actresses. Arquette talks to an amazing array of women, all of whom I'd love to hang out with. My favourite combos were JoBeth Williams and Catherine O'Hara, and Martha Plimpton, Ally Sheedy and Adrienne Shelley. Inspiring and should be mandatory viewing for women everywhere.
jjnxn
½ October 15, 2009
No real structrual form which weakens this doc but what several of the actresses have to say is interesting. Not great but a good try.
½ September 19, 2009
For the entirety of this decade I've been saying, "Where the hell did Meg Ryan go?" knowing full well the answer was, "She got old and Hollywood abandons old women." And by old women of course I mean 40+. It was good to hear it from so many respectable, talented, and gorgeous older actresses. The only weakness I think was Rosanna's inability to fully capture her own journey throughout the process. But damn, the whole movie could stand alone on Jane Fonda's depiction of the emotional process involved in film acting.
½ September 16, 2009
A good documentary by Rosanne Arquette about the challenges Hollywood actresses face in balancing career with family, and the apparent lack of quality leading female parts to women "of a certain age" in Hollywood. Could easily be expanded to women in the work force well beyond Hollywood.

It's a very good sign for a documentary when you think of ways in which the film could be made even better, rather than tear down what was offered. The only comment I could make would have been to provide input from the established corporate side of Hollywood to counterpoint the argument voiced by the actresses. Perhaps Arquette tried to get a few Hollywood moguls to appear on-film, without luck.
August 5, 2009
Thought-provoking documentary about the pressures and obstacles in Hollywood many of the more seasoned actresses face. Lots of great cameos, and I've always liked Rosanna Arquette, too. Has anyone else seen this one?
July 19, 2009
im looking for a debra myself...
July 5, 2009
I will NOT see a Movie that has this Commie, Traitor, BITCH in it.
They don't have a LOW enough rating for her.
She can rot in the Hanoi Hilton, for what she did to Our troops during Vietnam.

BURN BITCH, BURN
June 8, 2009
I really loved this documentary. Rosanna asks her peers if it is possible to balance work and a personal life and why aren't there better roles for women 30+.
She interviews a great group of actresses including; Salma Hayek, Vanessa Redgrave, Meg Ryan, Jane Fonda, her sister Patricia Arquette and many more.
Their responses were very intelligent and interesting. Part of the reason I rate this documentary so highly is because you could take almost anything that is said and apply it to any North American woman.
Rosanna Arquette is very natural when she turns the camera on herself. She doesn't oversell herself, so you don't get the sense this project is a product of self-aggrandization, which is very important. It isn't even an attempt to stroke the egos of her fellow actresses (though it is obvious she admires them.)
There are some really honest moments, which I didn't expect.
June 7, 2009
This should be a classic on working women and mothers, and the effects of aging on a woman's professional life. The interviews are fascinating.
½ April 3, 2009
Rosanna Arquette documentary is self-indulgent, but I enjoyed listening to many of my favorite female actors discuss the womanhood and the film industry. However, I am saddened by all the fake blond hair for some reason.
November 23, 2008
Mid-life crisis documentary by awful actress, Rosanna Arquette, in which she came across as a Oprah-wannabe... not a good documentary at all. Feminists are sure to like it.
½ October 25, 2008
A pretty cool documentary about women in Hollywood.
July 12, 2008
Pretty amazing how many extraordinary actresses Rosanna Arquette was able to lasso into sharing opinions and experiences about being an actress in the film/tv industry. Built on the premise of why did Debra Winger exit the industry so early, and what makes being a woman in hollywood so rewarding and so challenging at the same time. I recommend this film to any women who are considering the acting business.
July 4, 2008
Rosanna Arquette has a mid-life crisis and makes a decent documentary giving you a peek into the lives and work of some of Hollywood's finest actresses. Often self-indulgent but rarely boring, I was entertained for the entirety of its 99 minute running time and, in the end, the film got a conversation going, which is never a bad thing. As a side note, I was gonna go with 2.5 stars but the quality of a few select interviews in this movie pushed it up another half-a-notch.
½ June 5, 2008
Listening to these women speak is like feasting on intelligence in your best friend's cozy dining room. I might just have some extra lines on my face from smiling so much.
April 2, 2008
Absolutely loved it! Basically it's a doumentary about women in Hollywood and the eternal question, how do you manage career and family? But with these women it's different because they're all public figures. I loved how candid everyone was, especially Debra Winger, and how much it made me proud to be a woman.
January 31, 2008
There are some really honest moments, which I didn't expect.