Searching for Sugar Man - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Searching for Sugar Man Reviews

½ February 26, 2017
Great doc with great music.Sometimes the truth truly is stranger.than fiction.I loved this doc and so does my collection.
February 3, 2017
One of the greatest and strangest rockn'roll stories! Rodriguez, the man, the mystery and the myth.
December 23, 2016
I like many others had never heard of Rodriquez or his music. I was immediately pulled into his amazing story. My wife and watched the movie tonight and I've been listening to his music all night since the movie ended. Great movie about a talented and beautiful person. So glad that his music was discovered and kept alive in South Africa or I wouldn't have the pleasure of listening to it today.
December 22, 2016
Supporting a movement without knowing it
December 20, 2016
Nice story, humble guy
July 12, 2016
Fantastic documentary after seeing him live. Almost surreal that things like this happen.
June 25, 2016
This is a very well edited, well shot, super well researched documentary about something or maybe someone that you didn't know you cared about yet. Superb.
June 24, 2016
A well constructed documentary that shows a low unknown muisician and how he unknowingly revolutionized the world. The soundtrack is the documentary's strongest feature, causing the viewer to fall in love with the musician in question.
April 23, 2016
liked this movie a lot, but apparently it's not the whole truth and the guy was pretty famous in different parts of the world.
April 16, 2016
Absolutely amazing surreal but real story. Baffled. Go watch it ! ;-)
February 29, 2016
Searching for Sugar Man is a well-made and absolutely fascinating documentary, considering its rather obscure subject. Without going too in depth about the film's subject matter in order to preserve the mystery it presents, this documentary is a surprisingly engaging, and often emotionally resonating film that presents a very impactful theme by the time it concludes. Director Malik Bendjelloul crafts a beautiful story using minimalist style, including some impressive animated sequences, that really adds to the film. Bendjelloul even had to resort to filming using a smart phone app after running low on his budget during production, but it never shows. Searching for Sugar Man is a must-see for any music fan, and most definitely deserves its Best Documentary Feature Oscar.
½ February 28, 2016
Made me a fan of Rodriguez after watching this. Awesome soundtrack.
½ February 24, 2016
a talented but unrecognised son of Detroit, unaware of his status in South Africa.... beautiful story
½ February 14, 2016
A surprising and extremely moving documentary that begins as a fascinating mystery and then grows to become a revealing true story about a star who never was but who ironically became a major idol in South Africa - influencing a whole generation without even knowing about it.
January 29, 2016
Very touching story about a musician that was not engulfed in fame. He took it in pride. Very honest and entertaining.
½ January 27, 2016
Really hooked me. I know there's been some debate about the film's authenticity, etc. but, even so, a compelling doc.
½ December 15, 2015
Sometimes real life can be astounding
November 19, 2015
Finally got around to watching this amazing documentary. Special thanks to cousin Vangie Johnson for telling me about this. What a story.