Searching for Sugar Man - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Searching for Sugar Man Reviews

½ November 12, 2017
What an incredible story. So touching, so bitter-sweet, so inexplicable. As heart-wrenchingly beautiful as his music.
½ October 4, 2017
This 2012 Academy Award winner for Best Documentary is based on a mind-blowing story, which is truly inspirational.

By just hearing Rodriguez's music in this film immediately convinced me that this artist should have been bigger than Bob Dylan. His voice and style seems to be a cross between Bob Dylan and Jose Feliciano, in my opinion. The lyrics and music along with production should have dominated the era it was released. Songs about protest, war, drugs and love were crafted masterfully by Rodriguez in an era that fostered these musical themes.

It is absolutely shocking that this music did not get the attention of promoters and talent agents in its day. Perhaps if he used a non-latino name, he may have fared better. Today, he could have been a superstar, with the large latino population in the U.S. and demand from Latin America for popular American music.

I truly hope he receives the due he deserves in his old age. This film has helped in this regard. Trumping all of his lost opportunity, is a humble, old, hard-working man called Rodriguez, still living in obscure poverty in Detroit.
½ August 27, 2017
interesting story about a lost musician from the 70's but, I don't remember him myself
½ June 4, 2017
Quiet but heartwarming documentary about an American folk musician of the 1970s who was later believed to be dead in South Africa, the only country he had a huge success in without ever hearing about it. Sounds curious? It is. But a really sweet story only life could come up with.
April 19, 2017
Searching for Sugar Man is a well-made and absolutely fascinating documentary, considering its rather obscure subject. Without going too in depth about the film's subject matter in order to preserve the mystery it presents, this documentary is a surprisingly engaging, and often emotionally resonating film that presents a very impactful theme by the time it concludes. Director Malik Bendjelloul crafts a beautiful story using minimalist style, including some impressive animated sequences, that really adds to the film. Bendjelloul even had to resort to filming using a smart phone app after running low on his budget during production, but it never shows. Searching for Sugar Man is a must-see for any music fan, and most definitely deserves its Best Documentary Feature Oscar.
April 1, 2017
Rodriguez seems very nice but the scenes on the concerts are disruptive: his fans are all Afrikaners. He had success in the country of apartheid ... Horrifying to think segregation is still not over.
½ February 26, 2017
Great doc with great music.Sometimes the truth truly is stranger.than fiction.I loved this doc and so does my collection.
February 3, 2017
One of the greatest and strangest rockn'roll stories! Rodriguez, the man, the mystery and the myth.
December 23, 2016
I like many others had never heard of Rodriquez or his music. I was immediately pulled into his amazing story. My wife and watched the movie tonight and I've been listening to his music all night since the movie ended. Great movie about a talented and beautiful person. So glad that his music was discovered and kept alive in South Africa or I wouldn't have the pleasure of listening to it today.
December 22, 2016
Supporting a movement without knowing it
December 20, 2016
Nice story, humble guy
July 12, 2016
Fantastic documentary after seeing him live. Almost surreal that things like this happen.
June 25, 2016
This is a very well edited, well shot, super well researched documentary about something or maybe someone that you didn't know you cared about yet. Superb.
June 24, 2016
A well constructed documentary that shows a low unknown muisician and how he unknowingly revolutionized the world. The soundtrack is the documentary's strongest feature, causing the viewer to fall in love with the musician in question.
April 23, 2016
liked this movie a lot, but apparently it's not the whole truth and the guy was pretty famous in different parts of the world.
April 16, 2016
Absolutely amazing surreal but real story. Baffled. Go watch it ! ;-)
½ February 28, 2016
Made me a fan of Rodriguez after watching this. Awesome soundtrack.
½ February 24, 2016
a talented but unrecognised son of Detroit, unaware of his status in South Africa.... beautiful story