Second Chorus - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Second Chorus Reviews

June 4, 2015
The plus to this movie is that it was so short! I didn't understand how time passed in the movie so I kept getting confused.
March 15, 2014
Pretty bad Astaire musical. Ridiculous story that goes nowhere. Paulette Goddard looks beautiful, at least. Everyone's wasted here; for a musical it's pretty weak, Astaire and Goddard only dance together in one quick dance.
February 23, 2013
Not an Astaire classic, but it's enjoyable enough. Fred Astaire and Burgess Meredith are musicians trying to get a spot in Artie Shaw's band, while at the same time woo Paulette Goddard. There aren't that many dance numbers, but it's reasonably entertaining and never dull, which is about parr for the course with musical romantic comedies. I've always liked Paulette Goddard and thought she should have been a bigger star, so that may have increased my enjoyment factor more than it would for others.
½ January 20, 2013
ouch this might be my least favorite of fred's movie :I
January 18, 2012
all star cavalcade inc. artie shaw
August 6, 2011
Some good musical numbers, but the plot after an interesting beginning loses its way.
June 2, 2011
I can't bear to give an Astaire film anything less than three stars, but this is a very bad movie. The song Love of My Life and the tap solo at the end are the only worthwhile things in the entire feature.
½ December 23, 2010
I loved Artie Shaw and Paulette Goddard but I found the constant repetition of competitiveness to be a little unwieldy by the end. I also wasn't a huge fan of the end itself. It confused me that one person gets screwed throughout the movie and isn't rewarded for it at the end while the instigator and jealous lead, of course, gets the girl and the job.
jjnxn
½ January 17, 2010
Strictly minor league musical despite Fred's presence. This is one of a couple low rent films he did between splitting with Ginger and landing at MGM.
April 30, 2009
i try to catch em alll
½ March 27, 2009
It's alla about the music and the musical/dancing numbers. When there's not, the interest falls to flat.
½ January 27, 2009
I know of the online Mr. Skin, who has posted the time indexes for nude scenes so you know how far to fast forward if you are not at all interested in plot. Does anyone know if there is a similar site for when songs and dances come in musicals?
December 23, 2008
LOVE Burgess Meredith. Goddard is another favorite. Some good clowning here but very second rate.
July 25, 2008
the best part is the Artie Shaw band....
½ May 30, 2008
I really didn't like Fred's character in this movie until the end. I guess it's suppose to be that way, it's just I love Fred and I don't like hating him. Plus Fred needed to dance more.
½ May 26, 2008
I like Fred Astaire. I like Paulette Goddard. I like Artie Shaw's music. It would stand to reason that I liked this movie, but to tell the truth, I was disappointed. The story was rather unbelievable (Astaire and Burgess Meredith play college students), predictable, and unoriginal. When it tried to be funny, it didn't really work. However, it wasn't too unbearable; it was even entertaining at parts, but it definitely was not a high point for Astaire or Goddard.
October 11, 2007
Absolutely, hands down, my favorite movie. Artie Shaw's music is uncomprarable, the same goes for Fred Astaire's dancing.
October 6, 2007
Fred Astaire's audition for the Artie Shaw band made me laugh tea out of my nose. And Charles Butterworth is always good for my money.
½ September 29, 2007
It's kind of a "forgotten" Astaire because it was made almost immediately after his split with Ginger. It's still a lot of fun, and it's kind of amazing how good Goddard is. She didn't know how to dance before they made the film. Astaire had to teach her.
½ September 25, 2007
A really old Fred Astaire! See the classic film flicker as Fred dances and croons into your heart! :)