Secret Sharer Reviews

• Jun 25, 2014

It has a promising start. A young man has his dream of becoming a captain fulfilled and has to deal with a crew that he needs to win over. Throw in a girl fished out of the water who he needs to hide on board and you have some fine ingredients for a good film. However.. the acting was what let the story down. It was wooden, contrived at places. The gratuitous hints at nudity of a (no doubt) beautiful Zhu Zhu - Who has become a firm Chinese favourite after Cloud Atlas - didid nothing to the story, but to confirm why our captain was so infatuated. Surely was it not her intellect, her knowledge of Marine Ships or even her outstanding swimming ability. That aside, the wary Chinese crew had some (intended?) slapstick moments as to which you could not help but cringe. Yes they made me chuckle, but it was not the film to have this in. I found the best of the film in the pictures, the locations and the atmospheric photograpy. Very accomplished.

• Apr 30, 2014

We saw this tonight for a local charity event, with an interesting Q&A with the director and his wife Henrietta. An unexpected treat to be the first review on a Rottentomatoes film! The film is an enjoyable but slight redemption-type ship-bound tale inspired by Conrad's short story. It's no Heart of Darkness or Captain Phillips! After a very slow start, where the two leads in particular are rather wooden, the chemistry between the cast finally starts to warm. I felt the film doesn't quite know what it is: romance? Sea action adventure? Comedy? It doesn't really convince as any of these, but it's a mildly rewarding journey.