The Secret War of Harry Frigg - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Secret War of Harry Frigg Reviews

½ March 15, 2015
If you're a Paul Newman fan you would enjoy this funny,quirky, Shtick comedy. =)
April 5, 2012
I really liked this light hearted war film. It's a pretty basic story line but one that works rather well. I don't think even one person gets killed, which is rather unusual but kinda sets the tone. There are no messages about the horror or senselessness of war, it's not even an anti war film. In the same vain as Kelly's Heroes then I suppose but more family orientated.
January 30, 2012
I think a lot of 'respectable' critics shit on this movie too heavily. Because of that I was excepting the worse. Don't believe the bad press. Their self righteous asses don't know what the fuck their talking about. The Secret War of Harry Figg makes for great low demand Sunday afternoon viewing especially if you're a fan (& completest) of Paul Newman plus a very likable cast that includes the likes of Tom Bosley & Charles Gray. Yes it's all highly improbable but this is supposed to be a light comedy so don't take it so goddamn seriously. I think that it's very sly & likeable making a rather long running time skip along. Sure it's not a classic in any sense of the word but that doesn't mean it's not enjoyable. Get the fuck over yourselves & watch it w/ some beer & popcorn
½ March 18, 2011
Rather a funny and light tale with a great leading actor in Paul Newman who didn't do enough comedies in my opinion. Secret War of Harry Frigg tells the tale of five one-star WWII Generals captured and imprisoned in an Italian villa that is more five star hotel than stockade. All have escape on the mind, but as they're all of equal rank, so they govern by committee and no one will vote for an escape plan other than his own. Private Frigg is quickly promoted to Major General and sent in to be captured and break the other Generals out. Of course, living the life of luxury is too good to leave, so their escape is delayed, until on the night the plan is to take place, Italy surrenders, and the Germans take command and bring our troop to a their POW camp.
Fairly clever dialogue, with decent performances and delivery. A mix of McHale's Navy, Hogan's Heroes and The Great Escape.
½ November 29, 2010
Quirky war comedy with likable characters and some decent comic lines.
September 18, 2010
½ October 30, 2009
Funny and clever with well developed characters. Newman is always a pleasure to watch.
March 7, 2009
A funny war movie that worth a watch for Newman fans
January 19, 2009
This movie was a lot of fun for being a war movie. It had a great setup, great characters (the one Italian guy was hysterical), and even a happy ending. And yet with all that I can't actually remember that much about it. But I do seem to remember it was quite good. And I guess I'm going to have to leave it at that.