Secret Window - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Secret Window Reviews

½ September 16, 2015
I watched this movie once and wanted my money back. This would have been difficult to do as I watched it on TV. So instead I went into my brother's room, took $5 off his dresser and told him he was responsible for my unhappiness. He has yet to forgive me for this transgression and I hold this movie directly responsible for the rift it has caused in my family.
½ September 12, 2015
An incredible film. Until the stupid twist then it became really really stupid
½ August 29, 2015
The film shows little respect to its audience. It serves up obvious twists and plot difficulties alongside dialogue so in-your-face that it leaves nothing to ponder about afterwards. John Turturro's performance was dull and monotonous, and unfortunately not redeemed by Maria Bello's above average acting. The score stood out to be the best part of the movie but again, unfortunately ruined by the swift cuts to cheap jumpscare imagery. For a "psychological thriller", it failed to create any suspense or tension in me.
½ July 25, 2015
Johnny Depp is effective in this adaptation of a lesser known Stephen King story, but unfortunately the whole thing comes off as nothing more than a fancy made for cable thriller. It has a big budget cast with a low budget look and attitude. The writing is at times laboured and the direction somewhat pedestrian. Not one of the better King adaptations to film, but, then they're hard to come by.
July 10, 2015
Intriguing thriller falls victim to cliched finale.
½ June 12, 2015
Johnny Depp is absolutely FANTASTIC in Secret Window. Although I could kinda see the twist ending coming, it's creepily directed by David Koepp and easily entertaining.
June 7, 2015
Johnny Depp with this movie proved that he is one of the most versatile and consistently good actors ever. He turned the movie more funny and dark at the same time, he really did a good job. The movie could be considered a masterpiece in movies industry. It isn't only one more bloody movie. It has a clever story, a strong argument, organised screenplay, it's really unpredictable and we can really say that is plot is replet of Hitchcockian twists and turns, the final is really original and helps that the movie never stop improving at the end. Really thrilling and dark, and excellent exemple of a psychological thriller.
May 17, 2015
A great movie based on a Stephen King story. Johnny Depp gives a brilliant performance.
½ May 9, 2015
Was expecting a much better movie, but that's not what I got. Instead, I got a predictable thriller that feels as uninspired as another Transformers movie, but with much better acting. Johnny Depp is a great actor and easily the best thing in this movie (besides John Turturro, of course). The movie desperately wants you to know it's a plot twist movie from the very beginning. It puts clues everywhere and in the first 15 minutes, I figured out the ending. For the next 70 minutes, I just waited to see if I was right. And guess what, I was. The characters are interesting and Depp's descent into madness is more than entertaining, and even with such a predictable ending, it was cool to see Depp go batshit crazy! Throughout the movie Depp and Turturro keep saying that the ending is the most important part of a book. And Turturro's character wants Depp's character to fix the ending of his story. The only thing that REALLY needs fixing, is this movie's ending. All in all, a predictable thriller with an uninspired plot only worth seeing because of Depp's another great performance.
March 29, 2015
Secret Window lovingly crafts its eery campfire tale with a balance of menace and playfulness that suits its dynamic characters.
½ March 28, 2015
Enpä muistanut elokuvan jujua, vaikka näin tämän jo toistamiseen... suosittelisin tätä Stephen Kingin elokuvaa ainoastaan Johnny Depp <3 -faneille. (Suom. Salainen ikkuna)
½ March 11, 2015
Stumbled upon this by chance, but a really good film. Depp's character is typically mental, but the premise of a story within a story is brilliant. The first time you watch it as the tale unravels the viewer is taken aback wonderfully. A very decent film.
½ March 11, 2015
Pretty weak film interesting for Depp's perfomance and some mystery.
½ March 8, 2015
This was pretty good. Very well acted with attention to detail and stayed interesting through the entire movie. No sloppy ending either! Well done. Depp and Turturro were good together and Dutton wasn't bad either.
February 20, 2015
An exciting plot with man twists and turns.
February 8, 2015
This is a really creepy movie, which is just what I expected. I'm glad I watched it mid-day. The suspense is intense. Johnny Depp has some amazing bits, and John Turturro is out of the park spooky -- well-played. There are a few awkward moments, but eh... The ending is so strong that its easy to let go of those.
February 5, 2015
very entertaining and extremely well filmed
½ January 26, 2015
Johnny Depp is a bit of a strange actor, i dont just mean in the sense that he takes on rather flamboyant or eccentric characters, but he also lacks consistancey in his movies. Sure pirates was awesome, fear and loathing was hilarious and edward scissor hands was a downright master performance. He has somewhat also had his fair share of lows, most of his latter catelogue with Tim Burton and Gore Verbinski, not to mention his box office failures like the tourist. However, when on his A game, he provides sterling performances again and again, always stealing the show and always committed. Here in Secret Window however his performance is rather blase, which when attached to much of the same towards the rest of the movie, makes for a rather boring, non frightening and forgettable show all round. The story follows Mort, a writer who appears to have had a troubling year. Flash forward 6 months and he is in the middle of a divorce, resided to a cabin in the middle of nowhere and having the worst case of writers block imaginable. One day he is visited by an ominous man called Shooter, claiming that Mort stole his work, baffled as Mort is, he soon finds himself locked in a dangerous game, where more than just Mort's life is a stake. Based on the Stephen King novel, by the same name, it plods along, with very little tension or purpose. The opening act is brutally sluggish and drags for an age, thats even with an acceptable performance by John Tutturo playing Shooter, his performance, in a pretty decent cast line up, is the best the movie has to offer. The rest of the film, continues to fall apart after that and before the end, were dissinterested and sick of what were seeing. Depp, is okay as the struggling writer, pulling off some form of a performance, its not his best though, it feels almost lazy. Tutturo does well but hardly has enough screen time to really make his encounters memorable. Maria Bello is pretty poor as Mort's ex wife and Charles Dutton seems likes hes just reading from the page most of the time. Your not gripped as an audience member. That being said, there are a few nice ideas littered throughout to spark off the occasional emotion. The finale, as stupid as it seems, actually has the skeleton of something rather frightening, it doesnt achieve the level it should but at least the thought was there. The camera work is extremely commendable, with some fluid and well planned out shots, weaving continunally not really allowing your eyes time to rest. The score by Philip Glass is pretty decent also, giving a specific feel which is extremely under utilized in this entire outing. The movie lacks any real scares, coming most from jump scare, which is downright lazy and unappealing. The pacing is horrid as well, the film feels half an hour longer than it is and with zero tension thats a massive problem. Having a great cast and a good looking movie wont make your film and thats what this film suffers from, its not given enough care and attention, the source material feels left at a distance, the characters even more so. Yes there is the occasional comedic moment or bizarre encounter but it ends up being all for nothing in this completely okay film. Thats alll i can really say, its not horrendous, but its as far away from a work of art as you can get with the talent involved. Missed opportunity.
January 22, 2015
Fav Johnny depp movie
January 21, 2015
Johnny Depp is on his game as usual but the slow mystery doesn?t hold attention like it wants to and King?s twist relies on a cliche trope of shaky reality that never fully satisfies.