Seduced and Abandoned - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Seduced and Abandoned Reviews

½ May 22, 2013
A very good exploration of the themes of honor and family in rural Italy of the 60's. All is mixed up and served with black humor, crazy chaotic situations and a social satire that cuts through the Italian society like a knife through butter. A very well deserved golden for Saro Urzi who's excellent as Vincenzo Ascalone. His character is great in all his pride frenzy and the supporting characters do not disappoint either. This is a fine old comedy that explores it's themes in a good way and won't disappoint you one bit.
December 24, 2012
This timeless and hilarious classic moves like a symphony. "Seduced and Abandoned" is a visionary delight with incredible performances and stellar cinematography. Not one dull moment is found throughout this Italian masterpiece.
May 19, 2012
Frantic Italian satire.
½ December 15, 2010
terrific satire about the role honor used to play in Sicilian life; if you like this film, be sure to also see "Divorce Italian Style", another great satire on the same subject
May 15, 2010
One of my favorite comedy films ever. This film, along with Germi's other gem ("Divorce, Italian Style"), takes a hilarious look into honor killings and Sicilian morality as a whole. No stone is left unturned.
March 20, 2010
Completely bananas! No Sicilian sin, hypocrisy, social more, or injustice is left unturned and when uncovered you're slapped in the face twice for even laughing. This is a very funny movie especially today because, at least I hope, italy was a foreign, foreign place in the 60s. It felt like another planet where laws and bylaws and ancient macho traditions basically toss two families around fueled by their own obsessions to adhere to the very arcane laws that oppress them. Very interesting and inspiring.
March 4, 2010
Black comedy, Italian style. Delightfully satirical. Germi explores an antiquated law that eradicates rape if the parties marry. Peppino doesn't want to marry Agnese because she is no longer virginal: "The man has the right to ask; the woman has a duty to refuse." But, why would Agnese want to marry her seducer? Chaos ensues in defense of family and honor.
March 1, 2010
One of the handful of perfect Italian 60's comedies, this one is pure gold the pacing, acting, and direction are perfect. The story is about a man that seduces his finacee's young sister, gets her pregnant, and then refuses to marry her because she is no longer a pure bride. Great acting on the part of the father by Saro Urzi, whom won an award from Cannes that year.
½ October 23, 2009
Delightfully vicious (and rightfully so) in the way it condemns old world values of "honor" and patriarchy. Worth a look, but overall not quite as funny as Divorce Italian Style.
June 28, 2009
I enjoyed the characters a lot, more than the story itself. Generally, Pietro Germi made a very good black comedy. Definitely he was the master of this genre in Italy, but i liked his Divorzio All'italiana (1961) more.
½ April 30, 2009
Frantic Italian dark comedy from director Pietro Germi is a sharp, never sentimental farce with clever twists and great over the top characters. The florid camerawork and editing and frenetic performances creates a manic comic energy - even if that that energy does get tiresome after a while, as the film is a bit too long. But it still manages to be entertaining to its sharp and cynical end.
January 14, 2009
I watched this movie for the first time during the past Xmas vacation with my Brian. I watched because outside was pouring and I did not have any other choice, but I was so glad that I stayed home to watch it!!
January 6, 2009
Film praticamente antropologico. Mia moglie, che e' francese, non riusciva a credere ai suoi occhi: "ma in Italia succede veramente cosi'???" + un'attrice che e' una grandissima GNOCCA.
August 25, 2008
nominated for best foreign film by NBR
July 22, 2008
Hilarious Italian comedy, or Commedia all'Italiana genre, about a somewhat prominent Sicilian family whose patriarch goes to extraordinary lengths to maintain his family's honor after his daughter is impregnated by her sister's fiancee. This film sharply skewers the ridiculous social customs that were struggling to be maintained in post-war Italy as well as depicts the roles women were forced to play in society, all in a very smart and very funny manner.
July 8, 2008
whereas I enjoyed Divorce Italian Style a lot, I really didn't enjoy this one much at all. it seemed to consciously follow the same formula as the former while not living up to the same level of quality or hilarity. also, the premise just wasn't as good to begin with, and probably took away from my enjoyment.
June 19, 2008
fogholadast, didane in filmo be hameye hamvatanane aziz tosie mikonam moteasefane ma dar mamlekatemoon hanoooz be in moshkelat ke dar cicil vojood dashte mobtalaieem ,masaleye bekarat, baese taasofe ke ma be noe taghliz shodeie ke dar in film vojood dare
mobtalaieem.
May 5, 2008
it has the correct mixture of comedy and dark humour.
May 5, 2008
A well told and very funny story about broken honor and the pursuit of redemption.