Seeking a Friend for the End of the World - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Seeking a Friend for the End of the World Reviews

June 5, 2018
Best movie I've ever seen
May 25, 2018
Definitely NOT a comedy ??
This film was quite depressing throughout, can't say there was any real funny moments but strangely kind of worth a watch ??
Don't expect to be belly laughing or laughing at all!
May 8, 2018
Wasn't expecting much but I was pleasantly surprised! Both main characters acted well and their chemistry grew through the movie. Deserved better at the box office. Highly recommended.
April 29, 2018
Not bad. Steve Carell and Keira Knightley are great actors, so I expected this movie to be awesome. However, it was a little disappointing. Carell's character was likeable Keira's character was quite obnoxious. I could not bring myself to like her.
Also, the romance ruined everything in my opinion. They should've stayed friends. They had no romantic chemistry in this film, so when they suddenly fall for eachother it is cheesy and makes no sense! The romance was so out of nowhere and rushed. Should've stayed friends! Other than that stuff, the film is watchable.
April 23, 2018
I found this film to be somewhat realistic look at what it may be if the world was to end but that acting is what saved this film.
April 20, 2018
I thought this was a pretty funny movie
½ April 19, 2018
Against all odds I enjoyed this. I thought it would be awful, but the two main leads carried the film. They were, it's true a very odd couple, though I'll let them off given the circumstances. Real life Hollywood and half the royal families of Europe have weirder couples. I just hope that when the balloon goes up, I'll get my last chance too. Steve Carrell is 4 years older than me.
April 15, 2018
This is my favorite movie of all time.
½ March 15, 2018
Not really a comedy, but more of a love story. Bit slow in places, but overall worth a watch.
February 19, 2018
Literally the Only thing I've liked Steve Carell in.
A great ride all the way to the end. I think the reason it's reviews are as low as they are is because it makes you think and American society doesn't react well to that... So yea, its rated low because people are stupid... if you aren't, you'll probably really like this movie.
½ January 20, 2018
This movie is a unique one that is ultimately very sweet and funny. I liked the very darkly comedic moments in the beginning parts of the movie. I think the premise allows for some solid dramatic messages. I feel the final act of the movie is the weakest part and I found myself getting somewhat bored and underwhelmed by these scenes. I think both of the leading actors were great, but I didn't feel they had too much chemistry as a romantic couple. I think I would have preferred a solid story of friendship instead. I can say it is a very different movie that says a lot about life and that I overall I enjoyed.
½ January 18, 2018
THE worst movie ever!! Incredibly none sense
January 16, 2018
funny, weird, profound and tragic, corny, loved every second of it
November 3, 2017
No other actress today can do as much with her countenance as Keira Knightly. Her expressiveness is boundless and her acting spot on. Look to: Pride and Prejudice, Atonement, Domino and even her comedy chops in The Pirates of the Caribbean series, to appreciate her range and what she can bring to an ensemble. Add to that Steve Carrel, whose likability quotient skyrockets with his lower keyed characters, and we have a chance at a very special movie, a rare intelligent comedy with both heart and soul.

Seeking a Friend for the End of the World by Lorene Scafaria has become one of my favorite movies. This jewel of creative thought was shamelessly pulled from the theaters before it could find an audience. Drivel and schlock fill the cineplex and apparently there's no room for something different. The early reviews were mixed and mostly centered on what it wasn't, causing its early ouster. I feel compelled to defend what it is.

This is a darkly comic yet heartfelt look at other side of a pending apocalypse. Blockbusters like Armageddon tell what our bigger than life heroes might do to save the day, but what about the rest of us, just waiting for the end? What do we do? What would you do?

The story is about a sad sack who laments his misspent life and flighty homesick free spirit, thrown together in the final days. Each deciding to help the other they embark on a quest to find his lost love and get her back home. The genius is in their encounters and the back round satire, both subtle and not. The last third is for anyone with a beating heart and the ending is spot on perfect.

I found the critiques totally off the mark. One complaint was about its "jarring tonal shifts." Yes, the end of the world can be a bit unnerving. Some didn't like Steve Carell, but nobody plays a deflated sole better. And there is no shortage of Keira Knightley detractors. Well, they are just flat out wrong. Think Keira and Steve don't belong together? They don't. That is entirely the point. This movie makes you feel. It makes you think. It gets more captivating with every viewing. And that, my friends, is the true essence of art.

Watch it and let its slow burn win you over and then afterward see if you don't ask yourself, what you would do?
September 24, 2017
2/5 stars

Relatively boring, not very gripping, didn't really get into the characters or really believe the emotional connections.
September 1, 2017
Loved the concept of this movie. Keira Knightley and Steve Carell had great chemistry and really pulled off their unlikely but heartfelt relationship.
August 30, 2017
way underrated film. I thought it was awesome. funny, heartfelt, touching... Cool flick.
August 7, 2017
I loved this movie. Had always hated Steve Carell, but in this story, he was wonderful as the depressed, repressed main character. Sure there are flaws in it, but the final scene is anything but disappointing. Any movie that makes you think years after you've seen it (and it does) is worth recommending.
July 30, 2017
A beautiful, moving movie.
July 17, 2017
Not my type of movie. Watched 10 mins and turned it off. Not entertaining and I didn't like the characters.