Seeking a Friend for the End of the World - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Seeking a Friend for the End of the World Reviews

January 13, 2017
not great but charming. tragically underwhelming ending. this is one of those films that should have decided early on whether it was going to be a comedy or drama. it doesn't survive as both.
December 24, 2016
If you can get past the type cast of Steve Carell, "funny man" and the weird carbon copy of
Kieran Knightley's character to Portman's character in Garden State.
It is a good film that has a simple premise, a journey of two people to be with their loved ones before the imminent end of the world. The character that we follow are very every day and relatable.

With a lot of subtle events that happen around the protagonists,
that shows the different ways people would handle such an event really made me think:
"how would I handle the end of the world?"
- Would I go into denial, act like everything is normal by going to work and pretend everything is ok
Or
hide in a bunker in a shed of bake beans etc.
Like Taken, the film does what the title says so how can you be disappointed?
December 23, 2016
This movie should not be sold as a comedy, for it is actually the most depressing movie of the year, and the problem lies in fact in its abrupt shifts in tone and a disastrous attempt at being both a cute road movie and a profound love story, leading to an awful ending.
December 13, 2016
Loaded with the great chemistry between Keira Knightley and Steve Carell, Seeking A Friend is a sweet and emotional film, even when its story is somewhat uneven with the pacing.
December 4, 2016
Not really sure what the point of this was. A wake up call about all the time we waste? A live in the moment thing? I did enjoy it and it made me cry, but overall left with a kind of what's it all about feeling. Certainly not a waste of time though
November 30, 2016
I LOVED this movie. I have no idea how it only has a 55% rating. As far as the "disappointing final act" mentioned in the Critics Consensus, I have no fucking clue who these "critics" are. The final act was fantastic, especially the very final scene, which is *very* moving. This movie is, at its core, about human relationships and how life's meaning is derived from them. It's very funny and clever, but at the same time very poignant and moving. It stayed with me for weeks after I saw it. Best movie I have seen in a long time.
November 28, 2016
I was not dissapointed in this movie or in the mixed ratings it must have received to earn the rotten tomato rating. In fact, I watched it twice and was just as taken with the characters and the nuanced performances of the cast as I was of the courage it took the director and editors to present such a consistently human vision of what a world that knows its days are numbered might actually look like. "Tender, charming, and well-acted", yes, "hamstrung by jarring tonal shifts and a dissapointing final act", not if the movie is meant to paint both a literal and metaphoric picture of the seeming fickleness of time, love, and space. That said, most people prefer their end of the world comedy/romances served with safety and a side of predictability. I'll take mine with jarring shifts and a giant asteroid exploding into the final act. How many tomatos can I give this?
November 26, 2016
Slightly strange, but funny and beautiful. There are times when Carell and Knightley are a little awkward on screen together, but for the most part the two leads play off of each other well, imho.
November 20, 2016
- I decided to watch this one again as I was in the mood for a Steve Carrell film and wanted a comedy, I had forgotten how depressing the story of this film is. It is funny in parts, and I did enjoy it again but it is such tricky tone to pull off as it is essentially about the end of the world. But there are some really touching moments such as Keira Knightley calling her parents and Steve Carrell reconciling with his absentee father played by Martin Sheen. The critics don't seem to agree with me, but sometimes that's just the way it is. I really like Carrell and Knightley in this and they make it worth watching.

- I liked this one a lot. It had some moments where I laughed out loud and I was interested in the story. i am a big fan of Steve Carrell so that helped, but it was nice seeing in something other than a period piece...and she's pretty quirky and funny. Give it a try!
½ November 10, 2016
Funny, poignant and heartfelt, Seeking a Friend for the End of the World features a delightfully offbeat take on the apocalypse and charming performances from Steve Carell and Keira Knightley.
½ October 24, 2016
A pretty depressing love story. But at least they had a happy ending. One can only hope when it's the end of the world.
½ October 17, 2016
A bittersweet and eclectic piece, with a healthy balance of dark comedy and romance. Definitely a charming film that addresses many relatable issues in an unconventional and dramatic way. One of the sweetest and most believable romances in a recent film - not overdone, and not tacky.
October 1, 2016
Although it is kind of slow and long, I really enjoyed this simple study.
August 25, 2016
I loved it! It was really funny at times, had what people would truly feel and do during their last days on earth.... Ending was touching yet expected.
½ August 12, 2016
Not Keira Knightley'e best. Amusing to see different reactions. Bland in substance
August 8, 2016
Dark, tragic. Very Bittersweet. More tragi-comedy than comedy. You do find yourself laughing at the absurdity. And it will make you look at life differently. Watch it with a full box of tissues.
August 7, 2016
Great movie, enjoyed the chemistry between them. The downfall is not giving enought scenes between them to build on the relationship sooner than later. Overall great movie. I enjoy the end of the movie bc at the end of the world you just wanna be next to the one you lover when it all goes down.
July 25, 2016
I was so torn at the end of this movie. The entire production was great with amazing dark comedy based around the world ending. Steve Carrell and Kiera Knightley are great throughout the movie and really have engaging characters. However, towards the end **Spoilers** when they end up together, it really kills the vibe. I really enjoyed the idea of them just being friends and facing the end of the world together in the end. The love plot between the two was very off-putting and really knocks a star off of this rating.
July 23, 2016
A sound movie. I was kind of hoping that it wouldn't finish with the end of the world, but it just ends and that's it.