Seems Like Old Times - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Seems Like Old Times Reviews

November 24, 2017
Apparently I need a LOT more Neil Simon in my life. His warm, snarky humor is just what I have always loved in the most classic romantic comedies; in fact, if this was shot in black and white, it would sit right along the best of the Hepburn and Grant era 40's screwballs. Yet even if you're just a fan of Chase's Fletch-like stylings, this will scratch that same itch, all while being much sweeter. A lovable and perfectly cast nearly-lost gem.
June 2, 2017
Movie about a woman who has hide her ex-husband in her guest house, because he is on the run from the cops after he is kidnapped and forced to comitt a bank robbery. Kind of a silly chick flick. But I find it hilarious.
March 8, 2017
One of my favorite Neil Simon movies of all times. Chevy Chase and Goldie Hawn team up with Charles Grodin to knock this one out of the park!
February 4, 2017
It's like a bad sitcom, but long. Goldie tries really hard, but there's no saving this one.

#dlmchallenge 25
November 10, 2016
Good old fashioned Chevy and screwball!
March 12, 2016
Chevy Chase's best movie!
September 7, 2015
9/7/2015: It wasn't a great movie, but it certainly had its moments. An amazing cast provided some funny moments, but I was hoping for more.
½ September 4, 2015
Ty Webb just warming up
½ April 10, 2015
Some jokes hit but most laid an egg.
½ March 29, 2015
I have always liked chevy chase and goldie hawn separately in their movies but they are great together as well. the chemistry is so natural... you really believe they were once a couple that drove each other crazy haha. Charles grodin is perfectly cast as her uptight new husband that is thrown into circumstances suddenly... and honestly who plays uptight better than Charles grodin. this movie might not be as big a movie as the individual stars other movies but still highly likable and funny. yes there are stereotypes with the native American guys that goldie hawn is representating as a district attorney and also her black chauffer etc so be prepared. that part of the story got irritating. anyway even with its flaws I couldn't help but like it :)
½ February 15, 2015
Charming little Chevy Chase/Goldie Hawn comedy from writer Neil Simon. The film is a nice throwback to classic screwball comedies which Chase on the run from the law and having to hide out with his ex-wife Hawn and her new husband Charles Grodin. The comedy doesn't reach Hawkes or Sturges levels of screwball comic heights, but it's a very likable cast, with good chemistry between the leads and some pretty funny moments. Robert Guillaume, Harold Gould, and T.K. Carter also appear in the film.
January 31, 2015
Funny at times, but not great.
January 26, 2015
I didn't find this movie to be that interesting.
January 25, 2015
tedious, only for big Chase/Hawn fans.
½ July 29, 2014
(First and only viewing - 11/21/2010)
May 3, 2014
Charming but not groundbreaking.
April 25, 2014
The goofball comedy Seems Like Old Times is poorly written and unfocused. After being abducted and forced to rob a bank Nick Gardenia seeks the help of his ex-wife, but things get complicated when her new husband is assigned to prosecute Nick's case. The story is poorly told and never seems to know where it's going. And despite have a strong cast that includes Chevy Chase, Goldie Hawn, and Charles Grodin, the comedy is weak and doesn't really work. Seems Like Old Times is a badly made film that doesn't deliver that many laughs.
April 22, 2014
great cast. full of slapstick 80s rom-com humor & antics!!
½ April 19, 2014
A fun, smart little comedy that knows exactly what it is and should be. The writing is crisp and sharp, the performances are all top-notch and the plot lends itself perfectly to the madcap antics that unfold. The ending is surprisingly thought-provoking for a movie this light, but it sticks with you.
½ March 29, 2014
An easily forgotten, but not altogether horrible romantic comedy, this turkey was written by Neil Simon in his first time writing a screenplay straight for the screen. All the elements for a good eighties slapstick comedy are there: Chevy Chase as the bumbling misanthropic foil, Goldie Hawn as the slightly bubble headed but still do-good protagonist, and Charles Grodin as her long suffering second husband. While there isn't anything new to see in yet another romantic comedy about a love triangle, it still has the same zest and slapstick humor of the old Hollywood goofball comedies of the thirties and forties, which is what Neil Simon was going for. What I find repellant is how long they drag out every single, solitary, gag. The wife hides her ex from her current husband, and oftentimes is almost caught for her efforts, and so it's awkward and funny, and eventually she rambles something incoherent and stumbles out of the room. We've all seen these pratfalls before, but lingering on bad puns does not make them funny, as is the same rule of thumb for prompting chemistry between two leads. Though there are some genuinely feel good moments, it's nothing new compared to the rest of Simon's repertoire.