Seems Like Old Times - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Seems Like Old Times Reviews

February 1, 2014
"Seems Like Old Times" may not be as funny as Chevy Chase and Goldie Hawn's previous venture together, 1978's "Foul Play," but it just comes to show that with the right cast, miracles can happen.
Today, comedy relies so heavily on raunch and nudity - "Seems Like Old Times" looks to physical comedy (to the brink of being a throwback to the screwball comedy of the 1930s) and dynamic performances from its ensemble. That's what comedy should be, after all.
Chase plays Nick Gardenia, a divorced writer whose luck goes off the deep end when he is kidnapped by a pair of crooks (Judd Omen, Marc Alaimo), who plan to force him to rob a bank at gunpoint. Of course, this wouldn't be a comedy if the plan didn't go through. When the two criminals throw Nick out of there car, he decides the best way to get help is to seek shelter at his ex-wife Glenda's (Hawn) home. He can't go to his house - he's now a wanted man.
This might not be such a good idea: Glenda is married to Ira Parks (Charles Grodin), the District Attorney. Glenda has a sweet heart, but knows it's a terrible idea to let Nick hide out with her and Ira, considering the consequence that could occur. But as time goes, she feels guilty and lets him stay - without Ira knowing.
"Seems Like Old Times" plays out like a sitcom. Though most films would suffer from this aspect, the film is so good that you'd only hope it could someday become a TV show (even if it would never work). Not only is it fun to watch, but it manages to be madcap to the brink of insanity, making use of Chase and Hawn's flawless comedic timing and bringing in a gigantic group of cats and dogs (it's a long story) to add to the situation.
Simon's writing is brilliant, giving us scene after scene of utter comedic perfection - the climax of the film, which sees Ira and Glenda hosting a dinner party (which includes the Governor), has Nick hiding out in the kitchen, with the butler drunk out of his mind. The situation plays out with such witty dialogue, so many unthinkable occurrences, that from beginning to end it's completely dynamic.
In the end, you can't call "Seems Like Old Times" 100% perfect, because it's not. Sometimes the plot doesn't really go anywhere, and it's hard to tell whether or not we're supposed to expect Glenda and Nick to get back together again. But no matter what, we're never bored, and we laugh instead, and there's nothing wrong with that. And on a level of "perfection", I'd give it 85%, and that isn't half-bad now, is it?
½ November 30, 2013
mildly amusing with chase, hawn and grodin in their prime.
½ November 5, 2013
Easily one of the funniest movies I've ever seen. Chase's irrepressibility is reminiscent of his National Lampoon role, and he pairs nicely with Goldie Hawn, who plays the ridiculously naive Glenda. It never goes into complete madcap/parody territory, but it gets close, and it's fun to watch the relatable characters get in increasingly silly and unrelatable situations. Nice ending as well.
May 18, 2013
A consistently hilarious comedy that holds up great, nearly 33 years after its release...so many very funny scenes throughout the movie, one after another...Goldie Hawn, Chevy Chase & Charles Grodin "make a great couple."
A very fun time and it only gets better with repeated viewings...
January 26, 2013
Two stars for the two stars, Chevy and Goldie. Grodin is good too but aside from these and some hilarity from a very witty and interesting premise, this movie doesn't offer much. I don't like to criticize Goldie and Chevy or Neil Simon for that matter, so I'll simply say that the movie is good for a laugh, which is why it was made, and then that's it, nothing more. Fun to watch these comedians at work.
December 7, 2012
Looks interesting will try to find and watch!
September 16, 2012
With a heartfelt admiration for the Marx Bros. and vaudevillian drawing room pieces, Neil Simon's writing takes center stage in this afternoon comedy about an ex-husband's abrupt reappearance in the life of his ex-wife's happy, successful, and remarried, life. This only lacks a cymbal crash after every line. Cornball fans will be happy.
½ August 30, 2012
A very dated comedy. Chevy and Goldie tried but the script was really not very funny. The best part of the film was the opening in Carmel, CA and seeing cute and adorable Goldie again. But we gave up the ghost after 40 minutes. Time to retire this old dog from 1980. Suggest you rent Arthur....that is a great 80's comedy.
June 17, 2012
It is one of Goldie Hawn's best. Chevy Chase, Charles Grodin, and Goldie Hawn were all amazing in this. Watching this always made me want to try chicken pepperoni.
May 24, 2012
Sigh. They don't make them like they used to. These are comedies, not the vulgar, offensive crap we call comedies today. Stylistic, well-performed and awesomely funny. Loved the characters, but it's not the best in its category - doesn't compare with other Hawn/Chase comedies of that decade. I still had a fantastic time though - wish it would keep its pace throughout, and not falter by the end.
April 13, 2012
"she's not in the kitchen eating friend chicken thats for sure!"
This is my all time favorite chevy chase movie, and it is certainly one of the only movies I like Charles Grodin in, and.. goldie hawn is so cute. goldie here, is her daughter now. Chevy and Goldie do wonderful work together. I will own this movie someday. I WILL I WILL I WILL! Can I give a movie more than 5 stars, dammit I wish I could!!
April 4, 2012
Chevy Chase, Goldie Hawn, and Charles Grodin are hilarious in Neil Simons Seems Like Old Times. Chase plays as Nick Gardenia who as he was writing his next novel in his retreat by the ocean was taken hostage and forced to rob a bank. After escaping the burglers he seeks help from his ex-wife Glenda. She tries to keep him a secret from her District Attorney husband Ira. It's your typical slapstick comedy from Chase and has non stop laughs. You will laugh from start to finish. If you ever get the opportunity to watch this totally funny movie please do.
April 1, 2012
I love Neil Simon comedies.
½ December 19, 2011
One of my favorite movies EVER!
November 13, 2011
This is a Chevy Chase movie I had never seen. It also has Goldie Hawn and Charles Grodin so is a pretty decent cast. I found it amusing at times, but never really that funny and it did seem dated. Check it out for Chevy Chase fans only!
October 22, 2011
February 2, 2011
How had I never seen this hysterical farce starring two of my all-time favorite comedy actors? Well, it's laugh-a-minute right up to the very end and was definitely worth the wait.
January 28, 2011
It wasn't bad. It was quite funny throughout; not hilarious, but funny enough.

My main problem was too much Goldie Hawn and not enough Chevy Chase. This is not just because Hawn is extremely ugly and Chase is not, but it focused too much on her character and her husband rather than what Chase was doing, which I think would've been more interesting. Chase is also funnier than the others, so I didn't get many, if any, laughs from scenes he wasn't in.