Self Medicated - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Self Medicated Reviews

½ July 5, 2014
The movie started out alright, I actually thought it had good potential, then it started to feel a little B movieish and then made for tv... it got really preachy and godly around the end and a little cheesy and unbelievable. I'm kind of split on how I felt about it. I was glad to read the tidbit at the end. Meh
April 5, 2014
My life parallels much of this movie and the emotional and cognitive nuances portrayed here are as real as life itself. This movie is very compelling, brilliantly written and directed with performances equal to the task.
July 27, 2013
An amazing, honest film, Monty Lapica should be exceptionally proud of such a sensitively handled story. Great balance of humour and brilliant acting! The Hollywood reporter could not have put it better: "There was "a raw, unmannered intensity in Lapica's performance sets the requisite tone for the entire production. Self- Medicated is just what the doctor ordered." In places, very sad but nice ending!
April 28, 2013
I thought the people at the rehab were trying to help the kid with a little bit of tough love. He was a total manipulator and drug addict.
March 7, 2013
Yeah?! I gave Self Medicated 5 stars. I thought the cast, directing, & script was..touching! Not a huge fan of independent movies however, Monty Lapica takes the prize! This film is a rich and personal narrative. I was completely entertained. I also enjoyed the combination of suspence moments, and the heartfelt ones. Ive noticed some of the reviews, people or critics was pretty tough on this "debut" director/actor? I suppose i can understand if i were expecting to watch a Academy winning flick, even so it should be a nominee!! Also from my understanding this is a indie film made for a low budget. It caught my interest and concerment almost immediately. I always appreciate people with a soul-fullness essence of charater that prevails lifes adversities. This movie could very well be the next valediction a person needs to hear. I love how he incorparated the black "homeless"!!! Good stuff. Must watch or its just not your thing.
½ April 2, 2011
Was expecting better but it wasn't too bad.... acting was sub-par
January 12, 2011
A better choice for the lead role would have made this film a lot more watchable and more importantly, believable. Good story, but contained far too many scenes that could best be decribed as "dripping with cheese".
November 22, 2010
It had so much promise but the story was not solid and using marijuana is not that big of a deal. If he used crack, then the story would of made a lot more since.
November 9, 2010
3 for effort, reality basis, and touching moments. 5 star for the message.
½ September 8, 2010
A moving and well acted drama on the way a mother and her son cope with their grief following the death of their husband and father. The themes of transferred anger and the poisonousness of unresolved grief are powerfully confronting. Lapica's portrayal of Andrew, who on the brink of manhood still thinks and feels as a little boy in many ways, is excellent. The scene where Andrew finds hope and is eventually able to express his sorrow thanks to the kind ear and words of a homeless man is one of those rare "angel moments" that uplift the heart. I would certainly recommend this film.
August 15, 2010
young director argh
ugly mother choice
script not so great
broken scenes now nd there
monty's pretty cool though
½ April 28, 2010
As it stands, the film is more often self-absorbed than self-aware. A more seasoned writer would steer clear of false, assembly-line contrivances.
June 16, 2008
Once you get around the sometimes mundane dialogue and the main character who looks oddly over 17, you have a good film to watch.
June 7, 2008
Love the concept for the cover art...
December 29, 2007
This is the best movie of 2007 hands down. Anyone who has any sort of encounter with coping with loss will get something out of this film. It is truly brilliant.
November 28, 2007
powerful movie... when was the last time you saw a movie that was written, directed, produced and starring the same person?
½ October 4, 2007
worst movie ever. best movie ever unintentionally
October 2, 2007
Won 35 awards, but got slammed in a lot of reviews for bad acting and laughable dialogue. Should be a fun ride.