Seoul Raiders - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Seoul Raiders Reviews

½ July 3, 2008
This should have been called "SOUL Raiders," because a little piece of mine died after watching it. Just kidding. Actually, this film was pretty good for what it was: a frivolous holiday action flick for Lunar New Year 4702 (2005 for all you Gregorians out there). It's kind of like a Korean Charlie's Angels except Bosley has a lot more to do. And is Chinese. Tony Leung plays the Bosley character, and he's very good. For most of the movie, his character is smooth and charismatic, but later on he becomes smug and annoying. I don't think his performance changed; the character just wears on you. Shu Qi phones in her performance--collect. Still, the action was decent and there was a steady supply of it. So.
deano
½ May 16, 2008
Great sexy international spy thriller, but kind of funny made from Hong Kong.
Amazingly, it is amusing, though in the slightest way possible. Seoul Raiders has a ridiculous concept that's thin even by Hong Kong's usual paper-thin standards. Jingle Ma has referred to his Raiders franchise as a Hong Kong James Bond, but Bond would never get worked up over cases this silly or bad guys this inept. Even though there are supposedly serious things at stake (lives, economies, possible terrorist interests), it's all put aside for the jokey, smarmy antics of Tony Leung Chiu-Wai, who's billed as the most super-cool Asian spy EVER.
½ May 4, 2008
Unless you have affection for Tony Laung and Shu Qi, you might not get much out of this.

It's amusing, though in the slightest way possible. Seoul Raiders has a ridiculous concept that's thin even by Hong Kong's usual paper-thin standards. Those who check out Seoul Raiders looking for another Kung Fu Hustle will be rightfully pissed off; this is recycled, unoriginal commercial filmmaking that's not inspired in any way whatsoever.

Ultimately this is passably entertaining, and you could do a lot better, but then you could do a lot worse as well. Just take that for what it is.
skactopus
½ April 3, 2008
Jingle Ma is able to come up with a comedic action adventure that turns out better than its predecessor, Tokyo Raiders.Another name for this film is Tokyo Raiders 2, but this film can stand on its own. The only thing the two films have in common is the main character played by Tony Leung and also the concept for the story at a high level. In other words, you don't have to watch the first one before watching this one.Jingle Ma creates a story that isn't all that dramatic or deep. This may not sound that good, but it works out quite well for the film. By making a less dramatic, less deep, and more energetic story, it fits with the upbeat style of the film.The action is everything you expect from a movie like this. Actually it is pretty good, considering the cast. It comes in bunches and the choreography isn't too bad. This film also uses a nice combination of Korean and Chinese dialogue. This is Seoul Raiders after all. The music is entertaining, but it does sound like a rip-off of Kill Bill.The acting is nothing special, but it works fine with this picture. Tony Leung provides some decent action, while Richie Ren portrays a dopey agent nicely. The rest of the supporting cast is great to watch and this is largely due to the fact that they are beautiful women. Tony Leung's 3 assistants, as well as Shu Qi, light up the screen, but they all lack character development and airtime. Just seeing them is enough though.Fans of Tokyo Raiders may want to check this out as well as people who like comedic action adventures.
March 24, 2008
Personally, I prefer the first one - Tokyo Raiders...
March 7, 2008
Another of those gimmicky Chinese action movies that makes fun of the Chinese audience by thinking that everything superstylish and trench-coat will cover the garbage that the movie is.
February 16, 2008
Not as good as Tokyo Raiders, but good enough to waste a couple of hours on.
February 7, 2008
Not a solid movie but honestly, I enjoyed it quite a bit. Tony Leung is a charm to watch.
January 17, 2008
the action and the story wasn't as good as Tokyo Raiders
January 8, 2008
Ahh....a sequel, it could have been much much better despite having Tony Leung back in his role.
January 3, 2008
Its fluff, but I enjoyed it for what it was. Maybe not Tony Leungs finest, and Shu Qi's character was utterly pointless. But I have seen worse from a Sequel. . .
½ December 20, 2007
the asian james bond returns, as he finds himself in korea chasing a thief! this time leung's shoulders must be broad to carry this almost clunker. less cohesive plot, weak fem- me roles, richie yen lol mark the deficiencies. it's passable.
December 18, 2007
Very predictable and cheesy. Tony Leung was good. A couple good action scenes, but mostly bad.
December 17, 2007
Tony Leung's good, Ren Richie sucks.... empty story and no theme... the only good thing in the film is Tony Leung...
December 8, 2007
I loved Tokyo Raiders so much, I spent ages tracking down a version of this movie that had English subtitles and was playable on American DVD players. I ended up having to order it from Taiwan! I was sorely disappointed. It just doesn't have the inexplicable, lovable quality of Tokyo Raiders. It's still pretty funny, and there's a cool fight in there. But I was pretty let down...
½ November 27, 2007
½ November 24, 2007
Kinda dumb.. the action is okay, the plot is pretty desperate...

Oh well at least it killed some time on my 12 hour plane ride.
½ November 9, 2007
Néant meublé de la vie dans les grandes villes. Tony Leung consommateur final de sa chance existentielle.
October 29, 2007
Almost entirely stupid and pointless but just really close.