September Dawn - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

September Dawn Reviews

October 12, 2014
141011: Movies like this always make me wonder what the truth really is. Tragic story of which the producers obviously had a position. Not sure what the true story is, but always saddened by films featuring human hate. It's ok but can't give it more than three.
½ September 5, 2013
How the hell did this get a theatrical release?
½ July 17, 2013
Looks like a high school project and thinks like a junior high school project.
June 3, 2013
This movie portrays Mormons as if they were a biker gang on the streets of L.A.
June 2, 2013
Quality film that all should see. Disturbing bit of history.
April 30, 2013
This movie makes me SO angry!
February 3, 2013
A decent story, but way too melodramatic. Tamara Hope was extremely annoying as well.
January 5, 2013
Underrated. 13%! It may not be great, but it is quite good and reasonably accurate (aside from the fictional romance).
November 26, 2012
I want to congratulate the actors and film crew who helped make this movie for being apart of one of the worst movies ever made.
November 24, 2012
I'm pleased that this dark chapter of the Mormon Church, and of westward expansion has been addressed in film, but it's a shame that the result is so sappy and ham-handed.
½ November 11, 2012
Soo bloody stupid...
August 6, 2012
Decent story. As with others, I love true stories
½ July 22, 2012
I suppose this film must be decent, because it made me feel angry - only at this particular sect that went and did this horrible act that cannot be wiped from history. But this is a better made film than most make it out to be. The actors in it were compelling, Utah scenery was beautiful, and, as manipulative as this movie is in pulling all the strings, it ended up being effective even amidst the flashy gore. Ambiguities of whether LDS authorities were really involved aside, it's a surprisingly accurate look at an American atrocity.
June 30, 2012
Voight and Stamp were excellent. The movie is an eye opener.
½ June 13, 2012
A lot could be said about this movie's plot. It is based on history but its a history that is very light on facts. It does come across as a little anti-mormon but it should be pointed out that the mormon church of today and the mormon church of 1857 are no more the same than the Catholic church of the Inquisition and the Catholic church today. I don't think it is out of the question to say that this movie's arrival coinciding with rumblings of Mitt Romney's political aspirations was intentional on the part of the film makers.

However, none of that detracts from what is a fairly good movie. Overall you shouldn't shy away from this based solely on its historical accuracy or your personal religious beliefs... it really has nothing to do with them. If it sparks an interest in history or religious studies then that's great and from there you can draw your own personal conclusions.
April 29, 2012
I really like this movie
April 25, 2012
I thought this to be a pretty funny movie and Jon Voight's overacting had me laughing out loud..don't take the movie too serious and you will have a great time..
½ April 21, 2012
Fanatics again show how they will do anything in the name of religion. It disgusts me that religion can be used as an excuse to commit such disgraceful acts.
April 21, 2012