Septien - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Septien Reviews

June 11, 2015
I suspect that this is just one of those movies that is either loved or hated. But no one can deny that Michael Tully and his artist pals have created a truly odd movie that is as creepy as it funny. There is also something interestingly "real" about this "family" of men gathered together just off the back roads of American culture. Robert Longstreet is most especially brilliant as "Ezra" --- a performance that goes far deeper than the movie itself. Longstreet fully fleshes out an individual who has pushed his latent sexuality and his grief so far down into his psyche that he essentially not only taken on the role of "mother" --- but seems to be turning into a skewed version of who he perceived her to be. Beyond strange, twisted and unusual experiment within the very loose framework of a dark comedy always on the verge of attacking the audience. I consider this to be a must see film.
½ March 15, 2014
This film is bizarre and wonderful. The acting is phenomenal, and the characters are strange. Robert Longstreet is a versatile and talented actor. What is it about remote rural areas that is so haunting? I suppose it is all the things that can be hidden there and kept secret for a very long time, only to return at the least expected moments, much like brother Cornelius. Don't analyze it - the movie puts all its cards on the table. Don't look for holes in the plot. Just let the weirdness, the pain, and the healing wash over you.
February 1, 2014
An awkwardly good movie
½ September 8, 2013
There were some twisted minds that came up with this film. Fortunately, they did not push it too far. I was a tad worried as the opening scenes showed the artwork of Amos, which is some messed up stuff. The characters in this were totally original, the storyline is dark and so many scenes make you wonder if the film is going to turn a sinister corner att any minute. After all that anticipation, the ending was a bit of a let down but it has to be said, full marks for originality.
½ April 20, 2012
I was immediately drawn into the film Septien as the beginning credits were rolling because of the Bizarre yet Fascinating artwork that was featured. As I watched I realized they were painted by a main character the film surrounds itself around.
The art was genius in a sick kind of way.
The story focuses on 4 brothers who all have serious issues that slowly unfold as the film progresses.
One of the brothers returns after being gone for fifteen years and is welcomed back like it had only been a time span of six month or so.
I don't want to reveal much but it was billed as a Horror film ,I would not say it was in any kind of Horror Sub Genre but a mystery,Psychological drama with just enough Black comedy thrown in to keep it balanced. Listen very carefully to some of the dialogue and your jaw will drop plus there are a couple of scenes that are jaw dropping as well.
I was sucked in and even though it was quite slow paced I didn't even want to stop it for a bathroom break afraid I was going to miss the big payoff.
By the end you pretty much figure out what is and what isn't and the way they slowly slipped in pieces of the puzzle was subtly genius
½ April 14, 2012
Decent-ish Southern Gothic.
½ March 11, 2012
A deranged movie for deranged people like me..lol Didnt hate it surprisingly but didnt love it...
December 31, 2011
The description for this on TimeWarner, Sundance Channel, Free On-Demand claims that this is "a mysterious horror movie" and it hints at "an act of revenge" and that "the town will never be the same."

They only thing mysterious is how the person writing the description made the grievous error of typing "horror" when it should have said h "horrible."

I would like to commit an "act of revenge" because I "will never be the same" for the 79 minutes of time I lost.

The only reason that I even gave it a single star is because I liked the cartoon-like paintings of people & demons chopping off their wieners & eating poop.
December 28, 2011

December 20, 2011
weirdass movie!!! not too bad...its basically about 3 fucked up brothers that live in the middle of nowhere..and nothing! ..:)
November 24, 2011
Save your sanity and skip this.
November 20, 2011
boring i wasn't even able to watch it till end, boring
½ November 19, 2011
Leaves you with the unpleasant sensation that the film was made with no idea of anything. It has its moments, but as it goes on, the movie goes nowhere.
½ October 29, 2011
Película extraña, incoherente, donde un grupo de hermanos locos se mejoran al exorcizar un antiguo entrenador..creo que solo se basa en el sentido del bien y el mal y sus repercusiones pero pudo ser una mejor cinta
½ October 18, 2011
Interesting... just not very entertaining.
May 15, 2011
Seeing this film at the Maryland Film Festival was a real treat. Absolutely the best film I saw at the festival, Septien is an oddball art film that I fear will never receive any sort of mainstream recognition, but it isn't meant to be appealing to all audiences. Michael Tully plays the main character, as well as acts as director and screenwriter for this film and it really is something quite special. From the first frame of the movie to the last chord of the music playing over the credits this film is exceptional. The ideas are screwy and very surreal, the pain felt by much of the cast is so vivid and engrossing, the acting is unbelievable, surpassing all of my expectations and considering the cast was so small and confined to a limited area, it takes a real talent to make the story continuously interesting, and the makers of the movie have this talent. The cinematography (shot on Super 16mm film) is amazing to say the least and how certain scenes are lit makes the feeling of further surrealism and intrigue push further into the audience's psyche, this mixed with humor both dry and dark just captures all attention and doesn't let us go until the film reel stops. A film that surely is one of those hidden gems that should be given the recognition it deserves and I believe it is far more than Oscar-worthy in its execution of acting, directing, screenwriting and cinematography; but sadly, I feel, as aforementioned, that it will not get the attention it warrants.