Sergeant York - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Sergeant York Reviews

½ January 7, 2017
It's a moving bio-pic with light hearted characters that will move filmgoers for the ages.
October 5, 2016
An excellent movie about the famous sergeant. It also poses strong questions for anyone facing moral dilemmas.
September 16, 2016
Wonderful movie about a true hero. Not sure how accurate all the details are, but even if only half were true it is still a phenomenal story!
May 11, 2016
Not very accurate, short comings make it difficult to watch. The best example is the poster that shows Sergeant York brandishing a German pistol (is also in the movie).
April 22, 2016
My favorite movie of all time, my second would be Cinderella Man.
½ April 13, 2016
First time viewing...Super Cooper!
½ March 21, 2016
Follows the book very well.
February 6, 2016
A true American hero, and a quality movie. People like him are why you and I are free.
January 21, 2016
Great WW1 drama.

The story of the making of an American military legend. A quiet, unassuming man becomes a hero on the battlefields of World War 1.

My first reaction was that the plot was a bit far-fetched, then I discovered that it was a true story! Pretty amazing stuff.

Takes a while to get going though, and the dialogue can be irritatingly folksy, and these detract from what is otherwise a good movie. Once it gets going though, it is well worth the watch.

Gary Cooper gives a superb performance in the lead role, well deserving his Best Actor Oscar. I actually can't imagine anyone else in the role, it is so perfect for him.
January 5, 2016
Quite a pleasant fim; decent story which we are led to believe is true. I was impressed by the main cast's performances but the war part, which is not as long as you might expect, was pretty much nonsense.
½ November 2, 2015
Sergeant York

Sergeant Alien York and Gary Cooper shared similar beliefs, life styles which they could relate to such as shooting, raised in the country, how they were viewed in the publics eye. Because of that I think that Gary Cooper was able to do more to add to his part the honesty, realism and believability.

Howard Hawks did a good job in displaying the war in the trenches as well as cutting the film for comedy purposes in the case of the beginning of the film when an old man walks in to the church service late and the wood floor boards are creaking.

Directed by Howard Hawks
Music by Max Steiner

I have never seen a preacher work in the general convent store shop for the local shop as well as church before this film.

I like how they integrated the Bible, Bible verses, and Early American history in order to find out why to fight based upon religion.

God and country defend.

Give back to Caesar what belongs to Caesar and what belongs to God what belongs to God.

Trust into something bigger than own self.

This film manages to depict a very good image of trench warfare during World War I that portrays an honesty concerning the aspects of the fears, horrors, but manages to put in the heart with a little comedy of unexpectedness that seemed natural instinct and honesty that may be considered unusually unexpected in such as situation and in normal situations can be an unusual find. For instance this film has instances sergeant Allen York saying its just like shooting turkeys when shooting the Germans in the Trenches, having a bunch of Germans decide to surrender or being smart enough to have the German leader say we are surrounded serenader.
Or facing the problem of a POW camp not excepting the prisoners because it can not fit them all in.

This film is good in that it does not begin with the World War but instead starts in 1916 with a Newspaper that reads about the situation in the Battle of Verdun in France and how those in the countryside of Kentucky and Tennessee see the war before 1918.

This film I see how it was viewed as relatable in the 1940's to the American People because it deals with a hard worker, farmer seen as low on the economical chain, a hunter, religion. This film hits upon the themes which are all aspects which mankind deals with. The ideals that are to be considered the American way of life as well as the Biblical way. Going places you don't feel comfortable with but God or country has led you to.

I can understand how this film was used as a World War II propaganda film to recruit soldiers. This film does a great job and has a strong message about faith, loyalty, trust, truth, honesty, working hard and more.

One flaw I did find is that it is clear when a place is filmed on a set, is at a real location or is using real footage that already exist which I think is a problem. I understand that it is the way films were made back in the day but I don't think it is good when an audience member can clearly identify when something is fake verses real because it can detract from the way the story is being told when an audience member is paying attention to other things rather than the story itself. If an audience member does not believe in the world the character is in it looses something. For me some of the country side scenes of Tennessee did that for me in this film just because I could not see a particular distance so I knew the set was contained or the lighting did not look right for the environment or time of day.
October 24, 2015
A 10 star movie, Family friendly, exciting and funny at times, this movie will surly become one of your favorites. A true Classic!
September 20, 2015
Another great movie of Gary Cooper
½ September 4, 2015
Old fashioned war time propaganda with a heart stirring story.
August 9, 2015
A simple drunk sharpshooter finds the Lord & unfathomable heroism in the French trenches in this biopic saturated with good-hearted patriotism & old-time religion.
May 12, 2015
you know you are old school and cool when you know to love this film....
April 27, 2015
Another poor review by Jim hunter who is a dunce and a dullard the dudes unamerican at best a real moron he should stick pins in his eyes and his tongue should be nailed to a board
February 7, 2015
Inspiring on so many levels. It is carried by a tight script and strong acting from everyone, including a performance of a lifetime from Gary Cooper. It's a can't miss movie for all.
July 10, 2014
Though the religious themes come off a bit forced, Sergeant York is a respectfully told biopic with a solid performance from Gary Cooper.
June 10, 2014
Values Like These Seldom Seen On Film Anymore... It all adds up to a great film--Heartfelt cinema from Hawks!!