Series 7: The Contenders - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Series 7: The Contenders Reviews

May 15, 2012
Do you find yourself secretly drawn into the autrocity that is reality TV? Do you kinda hate yourself for it? This is for you. "The Truman Show" similarly predicts where our broadcast voyeurism will take us, but "Series 7" has way bigger balls.
May 14, 2012
I really enjoyed this film, if you can call it that. Shot with video cameras that would be used on reality TV, and playing it so straight as you would expect a couple of episodes of BB, you can almost forget you're watching fiction. Thoroughly recommended!
½ May 12, 2012
Will have a short shelf life, and just as reality TV offers instant-gratification entertainment, Series 7: The Contenders offers instant-gratification satire.
½ April 5, 2012
Nicely done version of reality TV taken to its ultimate extreme. The over-bright camera lighting, poor framing and inconsistencies in flashbacks/forwards are all really well done in satirising actual TV formats. But it's a thin idea stretched way beyond its merits. While I admired the effectiveness with which the low budget recreated a plausible TV show, I really didn't care about any of it.
April 1, 2012
This would have made a nice little hour long story; it felt very dragged out over a full hour and a half. It's a pretty obvious statement on reality tv an the manipulation that comes with it. Even more relevant today I suppose but it looks outdated already and reality tv is even more bland and sanitised these days. Enjoyable enough though.
½ March 30, 2012
A gripping and twisted view of reality TV.
½ March 30, 2012
Good concept but no depth.
March 29, 2012
A funny mock to Reality TV. The cast are great and at times does feel like it is "a show". People being picked in a lottery to kill each other for entertainment is nothing new (Battle Royale, The Running Man and now the new kid on the block and rubbish The Hunger Games) have all gone down that route but this is the funniest and at times a great watch. This is so funny and sometimes brutal, that this could easily be a TV series instead of a film and maybe stretching the story (if any) with new characters and backgrounds. Sadly, it does wear and become slow towards the end, and felt that it was a bit long for what it is, like I said, this would work as a TV series. A great watch and deserves a wider audience. Give it a try.
½ March 21, 2012
A TV gamshow where people have to kill each other. It has some good bits but the over the top voiceovers grate after a while and there was not enough killing. They should have doubled the amount of contenders and given them bigger guns.
March 14, 2012
Its trashy fun, which I guess is the point.
August Seria
½ January 30, 2012
I think one of the things that this film can boast is its realism. It was well-acted so my question is: Where the heck does these actors went now? It felt very real, it is not lacking in dark humor . . . and just, good.
January 28, 2012
Best commentary on the reaility TV
½ January 23, 2012
Nearly a masterpiece, it's so wickedly funny I just can't help myself but laugh all the way through. It's low budget yet surprisingly fresh and original. The characters were interestingly enough to keep me going, the acting was great too, very realistic. I really enjoy the tv show-like editing and narration.
December 26, 2011
A classic B-grade film to make John Carpenter proud. This film along with Battle Royale is most definitely where The Hunger Games finds it's inspiration, so make sure you see it in all it's cynical, gory, glory before the blockbuster hits.
August 18, 2011
a totally hillarious movie and i enjoyed all the way of all the satire it played upon on all the crap reality tv shows they have now. a definate must see
½ August 10, 2011
This film totally rocks. Awesome premise, engrossing from Go to Whoa. Not sure about any of the cast/crew and what they did next, but Will Arnett is classic in this. Just googled to see what Writer/Director Daniel Minahan's credits are. Has directed episodes of True Blood, and possible Game Of Thrones. Sweet,
½ June 21, 2011
Series 7 has an interesting concept, but the terrible acting and tasteless violence contribute to the film's air of vile cruelty, making for an unpleasant viewing experience.
April 23, 2011
Insightful comment on "reality tv". Disturbingly funny.
½ January 22, 2011
Reality show in NRA-land?
January 16, 2011
Suck on it you real house jersey shore idjets.