Sero hiki no G˘shu (Goshu the Cellist) - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Sero hiki no G˘shu (Goshu the Cellist) Reviews

½ May 23, 2015
Probably my least favorite Takahata movie. Every time I have to explain the premise to someone, I just have to ask myself "why is this a thing?" Ah well, It's still enjoyable for its short running length.
June 29, 2011
The movie is nothing amazing, but with classical music put to great use and a sweet simple story involving talking animals, it's likely to charm it's way into your heart.
April 15, 2011
As much as I love Hayao Miyazaki, most of my favorite Studio Ghibli movies actually come from Isao Takahata, whose done only 4 of Ghibli's 18 movie releases. Each of these is very different from the others, and all of them are very different from the rest of Ghibli's catalog. And at least 3 are masterpieces in their own right (I haven't seen My Neighbours The Yamadas). So I got excited when I read that Takahata had done a pre-Ghibli film about an orchestra cellist who receives music lessons from talking animals, adapted (for the third time) from a story by one of Japan's most revered children's authors, Kenji Miyazawa.

Sero hiki no Goshu is a rather simply but incredibly charmingly told story of a young cellist in a local orchestra who's falling behind the rest of the group in his playing of Beethoven's 6th. For several nights running up to the performance, he's inexplicably visited by almost-desperate animals for various reasons; a bird who wants Goshu to teach him scales, a mouse whose son's illness can only be cured by hearing Goshu's cello playing, etc. Each visit is a sort of fanciful mini-fable, and each tacitly contributes in its own way to Goshu's musical development. They're all more interesting and subtle than I'd've expected going in, and often capture a magical quality that even most high-profile Ghibli movies can't match.

Goshu the Cellist has little conflict, a simple development arc, few surprises, and no great dramatic payoff, so it won't satisfy everyone. However, anyone who digs Ghibli's laid-back pacing will feel right at home. Goshu the Cellist is endearing to the point of absurdity and is well worth the time for any Studio Ghibli fan who wants to explore the pre-Ghibli works of Ghibli's present-day heavy hitters.
January 6, 2011
A masterfully created tale, that sums up innocence and childhood. Isao Takahata delivers a simple, yet poignant narrative.
July 12, 2010
Destila una innegable nostalgia por los ambientes rurales, los pl├ícidos paisajes campestres. Nos muestra el conflicto entre el mundo urbano y el rural, presentando este ├║ltimo como un refugio. Son los animales, representantes de ese mundo apegado a la naturaleza, los que le hacen ver el verdadero valor de la musicalidad. Es una pel├şcula lineal y sencilla pero de una ense├▒anza profunda. Muy bonito el car├ícter del tanuki joven.
November 24, 2009
Excelente!
Para papás e hijos, hermosa...
December 16, 2008
Simple. Wonderful. Beautiful. Comforting like a hot mug of hot chocolate in front of a warm fire! A rarely seen Takahata gem. A film any musician should appreciate.
September 21, 2008
A straightforward, unmelodramatic way of giving a message. Wonderful characters. Loved it.
September 13, 2008
Sweet tone poem about a cellist who is visited by various animals. Very cute and simple - and as much as I like "Fantasia", it's nice to have the "Pastoral" symphony conjure up other images for me!
August 7, 2008
If you are a music lover, wild life enthusiast, Beethoven fan and believe in the virtues of the Bauhaus school of minimalism then this movie has been custom made for you. Fantastic and earthy.
½ June 22, 2008
I still don't quite get the message, if there is any, but this movie is still charming. The scene with the raccoon is easily my favorite; I can't help but hum the simple, wonderful tune.
May 8, 2008
despite the limitations in animation, the story itself held up pretty well. i mean, it's really simple and at times hoaky, but the concept about the relationship between music and nature lingers and it ends up being much deeper than first anticipated.
March 23, 2008
Now THIS is exactly what I'm talkin' 'bout, as a story, as a cinematic experience, and beyond that, as a philosophic theory of music. Core curriculum, this one.

The boys and I watched this as our Easter Sunday movie, and maybe its because we live in a forest, but nonetheless, I don't think they'll ever 'practice' quite the same again :)
½ December 9, 2007
Cute. If you like classical music and animals, well, here's a movie custom tailored for you. Seems to follow the notion 'art imitates life imitates art'.
Highlight of the film (at least for me): badger percussionist.
December 6, 2007
Charming and romantic simple film.
Jossepi
November 28, 2007
Before this film, I ears have never "heard" or sense classical music due to poverty. My teacher paid to show me this film when I was in 6th grade back in Taipei. This movie saved my music soul.
November 27, 2007
½ October 25, 2007
This is what Fantasia wishes it were. Filmic poetry.
½ July 27, 2007
Simple, beautiful and rare these days. The movie is a sweet children's storybook brought to life with no strings attached. Watch this on a quiet night with a blanket and popcorn.
July 26, 2007
A beautiful short movie marked by its simplicity and subtle depth. We live in an age of mind-numbing entertainment in which every second is accounted for on the TV screen. I feel like it's the same way salespeople talk really fast - it's easier to sell something when the customer has no time to think twice. The simplicity, pace, and depth of classical music and the child-like creativity of this movie seems as, if not more, pertinent now as it was when it was released 25 years ago.