Le Serpent (The Snake) - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Le Serpent (The Snake) Reviews

September 6, 2014
A re-watch for me and I don't feel the trailer does this enough justice. For me it's a good gripping thriller, not completely original, but loved it all the same
½ May 25, 2014
A very good Cat and Mouse thriller.
A former class-mate from school, a cowardly wimp then, has now grown up into a cold, calculating, tough-guy hell bent on revenge for an incident back in those schooldays. A spell in the Foreign Legion has made him a sharp, ruthless killing machine when he needs to be. As the plot continues it is difficult to see if and where his weakness is. Maybe it needs the mouse to start hunting the cat.
October 24, 2013
An interesting french thriller with good performances from its leads.
March 12, 2013
This is a very pulpy, violent thriller based on an English novel of the 1970s, Plender by Ted Lewis (he wrote the novel upon which Get Carter is based fact fans). This is a not wholly convincing thriller that nevertheless has some terffic set pieces - an escape from a police station, a car crash with a body in the trunk and police coming - that elevate it above the standard. The lead actor, Yvan Attal has a very haggard, beleagured look, and the villain of the piece, Clovis Cornillac's Plender is suitably creepy. It is an entertaining two hours, but at the end of the movie not quite distinct enough to become truly memorable.
July 14, 2012
A well made Hitchcockian noir thriller- tense and worthwhile watch. Both Attal and Clovis put in good performances.
June 5, 2012
Eric Barbier brings overtones of Hitchcock, Chabrol and Clouzot with this suspenseful 2006 thriller which displays itself as a fine example of a gripping man-on-the-run narrative, headlined with convincing performances from Yvan Attal and Clovis Cornillac as the victim and villain respectively.
March 19, 2012
French revenge thriller....good story line but too much violence.
July 25, 2011
Cracking thriller, with a truly nasty bad guy, I saw this at the cinema and my popcorn flew everywhere with one of the surprise shocks. Well worth a view and one film that I actually own on DVD. So good it's being re-made by an American studio.
½ July 8, 2011
cool movie and cool symbolism, it has a great pace and once you find out what the story is for you are already engaged so it really comes as a surprise
½ June 12, 2011
Bastante buén triller con buenas actuaciones e historia interesante.
½ April 2, 2011
Hitchcock it ain't and at times it's completely bonkers especially the ending but I've seen worse and there's enough to keep you engaged........ just
½ January 25, 2011
Just watched this on DVD, a fantastic thriller that kept me glued to the screen. You really gotta see this before the inevitable Hollywood remake ruins its magic.
½ August 14, 2010
V Good. A bit far fetched but enjoyable. A lot of good French movies around at the moment.
½ July 17, 2010
I really like this kind of movies it had almost everything what a perfect movie needs to have. it was thrilling and very interesting just these scene where the guy escapes from the police it was way to unrealistic and not appropriate for the movie.
½ July 6, 2010
A really good story with an intriguing set-up and a bad guy who does have a good reason for wanting revenge (clue: it's not about the jotter). Only quibble is that it lets itself down a bit by going a bit 'standard Hollywood thriller' in the last half hour.
½ July 5, 2010
liked this French thriller about a photographer getting framed for raping and murdering a young woman.
½ May 5, 2010
Almost brilliant in every way. This is a very well written storyline of conspiracy, framing, revenge, brought to life by two brilliant performances by Yvan Attal and Clovis Cornillac, the chemistry of which between the two was totally fascinating.

I am surprised that there hasn't been a Hollywood remake of this, not that it could be bettered, but it's the usual type of film that would be remade by Hollywood.

The best Thriller I've seen in a while.
March 29, 2010
2/10: Not sure why the high ratings but it's pretty poor and boring for me. The movie is trying to be a thriller with a twist but it failed badly, in my opinion. The reason why I'm giving this 1 more star more than it's supposed is the cameo of Bond girl Olga Kurylenko. Her appearance is the only bright spark of the movie.
½ March 14, 2010